• 2 Post By SweetCJ7
  • 1 Post By Jadmt
  • 1 Post By kejtar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 09-24-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Shocking topic - shocks

So I am in the market for some new shocks. My JK is only used for light offroad (my crawler is my XJ). I thought it's listed about 2" (based on the springs and spacers I put in) but according to the frame measurement chart (shock tower, spring to bucket and so on) for both frot and rear, I have about and inch or less of lift. Btw, I also tow couple times a year.

Currently I'm running Rubi shocks (had them for 4 years? ) and they are at the end of their life as I can feel lack of the dampening effect.

I started doing some research and things are getting complicated Shocks are at static length of 18.25" and 19" front and rear respectively. I want as much up travel and down travel that I can get (as in I don't want to put in taller bumpstops to adjust for new shocks).

Currently I am looking at either Bilsteins or RE Monotubes - they are closer to what I am after then any others but it seems that the RE monotubes are either - love 'em or hate 'em shocks. Some folks swear by them, others list them as total trash.

Anyways, any others that y'all can recommend? Btw, I measured my up travel and I do want to get as close as possible to stock compressed length as I do tuck in pretty nicely. Oh yeah, I am not opposed to running different shocks front and different in the rear. A perfect combination at this point could be Bilstein front and RE Monotube in the rear.
Attached Images

--- 2012 JKU with some goodies ---
--- 1997 XJ with even more goodies ---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-25-2019, 06:18 AM
Rock God

what coils are you using and what is their free length? I would disconnect you shocks and drop down and see how long of a shock you can run without loosing a coil.
post #3 of 24 Old 09-28-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

So I know what lengths I want- issue is that from what I searched I cant find any other options - is there anything that I am missing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 09-30-2019, 07:09 AM
JKO Addict!

If you use shock relocation brackets, would then yield a new length that you can find?

Im thinking up front several companies have brackets that move the lower mounting point out to add a bit of an angle to the shock and in the rear Poly has upper brackets that angle the shocks more as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 Old 09-30-2019, 07:22 AM
Rock God

Falcon 3.1 are close to what you want. Fronts 25.7-15.7 and rear 25.3-15.3. I have run the above listed Bilstiens and the Falcons and no comparison between them and the funny thing is Bilstiens were really good just not nearly as good as the Falcons. You pay to play.
post #6 of 24 Old 09-30-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

by upper shock relocation brackets you mean stud conversion? This actually shortens the shock and unless you lift you lose out on the travel.

I'll have to look at falcons! Thanks!

post #7 of 24 Old 09-30-2019, 08:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kejtar View Post
by upper shock relocation brackets you mean stud conversion? This actually shortens the shock and unless you lift you lose out on the travel.
https://www.polyperformance.com/syne...er-shock-mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 Old 09-30-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Interesting - thanks!

post #9 of 24 Old 09-30-2019, 12:45 PM
JKowners Vendor

If you are going to consider Falcons, don't look at anything other than the 2.1s or the 3.3s. The ones in between all have the same valving discs in the body as the 2.1s. The rest is just marketing. Some are just down right stiff. If you can wait another month or so, they will have the SP2 out for the JK platform. These are especially good for cold weather climates.

SP2 Mode Adjust Shocks:

• SP2 Mode Adjust shocks add Soft and Performance modes
• Tunes both compression and rebound – provides noticeable benefits in ride quality and handling
• Twist counterclockwise for Soft and clockwise for Performance
• Adjustment is only possible w/ shock fully extended
• During normal driving, the Soft mode allows a partial bypass of the main piston for less restriction and a softer ride.
• During aggressive driving, the Soft mode retains performance tuning for optimal handling
• Soft is recommended for rough roads/trails, embedded rocks, expansion joints, and/or winter temperatures
• Performance setting recommended for maximum highway and/or off-road handling, stability, and control w/ minimal head toss
• Fast Adjust Knob and Micro Position Knob (3.3 Fast Adjust Piggyback Shock) operation unaffected
kejtar and gerryjk like this.

Allen's Offroad - 530-620-1100
Email me at:

FREE SHIPPING on orders of $99.99 or more.

post #10 of 24 Old 09-30-2019, 07:32 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCJ7 View Post
If you are going to consider Falcons, don't look at anything other than the 2.1s or the 3.3s. The ones in between all have the same valving discs in the body as the 2.1s. The rest is just marketing. Some are just down right stiff. If you can wait another month or so, they will have the SP2 out for the JK platform. These are especially good for cold weather climates.

SP2 Mode Adjust Shocks:

• Tunes both compression and rebound – provides noticeable benefits in ride quality and handling
• During normal driving, the Soft mode allows a partial bypass of the main piston for less restriction and a softer ride.
• During aggressive driving, the Soft mode retains performance tuning for optimal handling
• Soft is recommended for rough roads/trails, embedded rocks, expansion joints, and/or winter temperatures
• Performance setting recommended for maximum highway and/or off-road handling, stability, and control w/ minimal head toss
• Fast Adjust Knob and Micro Position Knob (3.3 Fast Adjust Piggyback Shock) operation unaffected

SP2 sounds a great choice! Gonna show this to my uncle this weekend when I help him install the skid plates, jeep rock rails and led light bars. Nothing crazy offroad, he just want to cruise and sometimes join us for moderate trail riding.
post #11 of 24 Old 10-01-2019, 05:56 PM
Rock God

I'm also in need of shocks and I agree with ALASHA's thoughts.

My plan is to determine the ranges of difference in various MFG's shock mounts/relocation mounts and measure the hard numbers myself...screw using some indeterminate frame chart. By hard numbers, I mean how much actual travel/articulation is my vehicle layin' down. It will take some doing, but I should only ever have to do it once.

Basically, Jeep goes up on blocks, then, using an engine hoist, shocks come out, I lower an axle until springs start falling out...that's when I measure for shock extended length. Obviously, this doesn't all happen at once...the axle/axle side I'm not measuring for collapsed/extended figures also needs to be blocked at various heights, depending on what other measurements I'm looking for...

Using the hoist and no spring or shock to inhibit movement, I can tuck a wheel as far into a wheelwell as the measurement for a coilbound spring allows, giving me further info on how big I can go on tire, needed bumpstop lengths, fender mods, driveshaft lengths, etc. I can also let the opposite side hang or, using blocks, tuck both sides, etc...whatever needs doin' to measure clearances, travels, etc.

Taking the numbers from this exercise and applying the various alternative shock mounts, or not, I'll have a clear idea of exactly what will/can fit...assuming I can find the specs on the shocks I'd consider.

- As it has to do with shocks, reservoir shocks allow a greater range of travel vs typical “street” shocks. I have no need for triple by-pass, etc.
- Bilstein used to print all of their shock specs...collapsed/extended, mount type, etc. The info is out there...

Finally, and MOST IMPORTANTLY! Protect your shocks with limiting straps!

That's my plan, anyway...

Last edited by funfred; 10-01-2019 at 06:00 PM.
post #12 of 24 Old 10-01-2019, 06:34 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
I'm also in need of shocks and I agree with ALASHA's thoughts.

My plan is to determine the ranges of difference in various MFG's shock mounts/relocation mounts and measure the hard numbers myself...screw using some indeterminate frame chart. By hard numbers, I mean how much actual travel/articulation is my vehicle layin' down. It will take some doing, but I should only ever have to do it once.

Basically, Jeep goes up on blocks, then, using an engine hoist, shocks come out, I lower an axle until springs start falling out...that's when I measure for shock extended length. Obviously, this doesn't all happen at once...the axle/axle side I'm not measuring for collapsed/extended figures also needs to be blocked at various heights, depending on what other measurements I'm looking for...

Using the hoist and no spring or shock to inhibit movement, I can tuck a wheel as far into a wheelwell as the measurement for a coilbound spring allows, giving me further info on how big I can go on tire, needed bumpstop lengths, fender mods, driveshaft lengths, etc. I can also let the opposite side hang or, using blocks, tuck both sides, etc...whatever needs doin' to measure clearances, travels, etc.

Taking the numbers from this exercise and applying the various alternative shock mounts, or not, I'll have a clear idea of exactly what will/can fit...assuming I can find the specs on the shocks I'd consider.

- As it has to do with shocks, reservoir shocks allow a greater range of travel vs typical “street” shocks. I have no need for triple by-pass, etc.
- Bilstein used to print all of their shock specs...collapsed/extended, mount type, etc. The info is out there...

Finally, and MOST IMPORTANTLY! Protect your shocks with limiting straps!

That's my plan, anyway...
You may also want to do said measurements full lock either direction to determine interferences with your current tire and wheel combo.

Allen's Offroad - 530-620-1100
Email me at:

FREE SHIPPING on orders of $99.99 or more.

post #13 of 24 Old 10-02-2019, 07:35 AM
JKO Addict!

I have Currie spring retainers in the rear. Allows for a bit more droop back there.

post #14 of 24 Old 10-02-2019, 09:48 AM
Rock God

Quote:
You may also want to do said measurements full lock either direction to determine interferences with your current tire and wheel combo.
Part of the plan...
post #15 of 24 Old 10-03-2019, 09:20 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

I have the sport valved Falcon 2.1 series on my 07 JKU.

Aside from the tires, they are the single most expensive mod on my JK in 12 years. Worth every penny.`I've run a couple of different brands and these were way above my expectations.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #16 of 24 Old 10-03-2019, 09:42 AM
Rock God

Quote:

SP2 Mode Adjust Shocks:

the 3.1's have quite a bit more travel than the 2.1 and in 29,000 miles with lots of off roading and lots of road trips I have never felt the need too add the adjustment upgrade. If I went out and someone had stole my 3.1's I would replace with the same.
post #17 of 24 Old 10-09-2019, 01:26 PM
JKowners Vendor

Garage
Wink

Check these out too
Specs in the links

http://www.gorancho.com/products/sho...er-rs7326.html

http://www.gorancho.com/products/sho...er-rs7328.html

post #18 of 24 Old 10-09-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks - those look like good fit - question is how they perform/last I used to like the Rancho RSX shocks way in the past and 2 of them are still on my XJ and for some reason still performing pretty good.

post #19 of 24 Old 10-09-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

so now I'm torn between 5100's and 7000's. I'm half tempted to go with 7000's for the rear and 5100's for the front.... thoughts?

post #20 of 24 Old 10-10-2019, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

as you can tell , plus as many times as it's been mentioned, shock opinions are similar to @55holes; everyone's got one.

it's very subjective and only experience is going to truly yield your own formed opine.
You pretty much get some valued input , judge as best you can the concensus on what brand/model you hone-in on, hopefully get to experience the ride in a Jeep similar to your target that's to receive new suspension dampeners on it to assess the ride , then try to find them cheap on sale or, thru jko vendors , such as Marcus @RiverCityOffroad , for example.

all that being said , for your use case & from what you're looking for , you are not going to beat the performance & integrity of the Bilstein 5100s. I used them after my OEM gas charged shocks with only a leveling kit , then with extension brackets with 2" coil lift. I still use Bilsteins w/ the now pretty much for offroad JKU & love them. I mistakenly didn't get rebuildables but that's a different story ....

the rancho 7000s are kinda their competition against the 5100 Bilstein & not as reliable a service life from my friends feedback.
the Rancho 9000 series adj model are extremely popular because they're an above average performance dampener that has adjustable firmness of the compression stroke. In your use case they seem overkill.

you will be very pleased with your 5100s.
I do not see any advantage in mixing brands on the Jeep. it's up to you but these are not going to make that much difference by having a 5100 front & 7000 rear or whatever...

yes, I've spent trail & road time w/ the models mentioned,as well as lotsa others.

be judicious and don't get swept up into thinking you need high end shocks from the overwhelming marketing. Bilstein will replace under warranty , as will rancho. I've seen more of the 7000s leak or have issues - over time & usage - than I have the venerable 5100s. YMMV.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 10-10-2019 at 04:48 AM.
post #21 of 24 Old 10-10-2019, 05:55 AM
Rock God

I have many miles on both RS7000MT's and billy 5100 on the same rig. ie jkur with RK 2.5 and 3.5 lifts. Both are very similar shocks. I really liked the 7000's except for they faced fast on high speed washboard roads. for light offroad use and road use I really think they are a great shock. Loved the way they handled on the road. Try the Ranchos and if you don't like them you have 90 days to return them for a refund. They also have a good warranty.
Rancho Suspension likes this.
post #22 of 24 Old 10-10-2019, 06:22 AM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

Well.... if the RSX are any indication, should last a long time. We haven't made those in 10+ years.
But seriously, we offer a limited lifetime warranty on these shocks. Keep that receipt, if it is ever needed.
Limited Lifetime Warranty / 90-Day Risk-Free Ride Offer

Good luck on your choice
Matt

Quote:
Thanks - those look like good fit - question is how they perform/last I used to like the Rancho RSX shocks way in the past and 2 of them are still on my XJ and for some reason still performing pretty good.

post #23 of 24 Old 10-10-2019, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I'm trying to think how long ago I got the RSXs.... granted I haven't done much wheeling in last few years but my XJ has had a fair of hard miles in Moab yearly for 10+ years and Con about 7 time plus I drove it to and from each place (not a trailer queen).

Anyways - any issues with buying from Amazon for the warranty? It seems that they have the best price.
Rancho Suspension likes this.

post #24 of 24 Old 10-10-2019, 10:06 AM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

No issues with Amazon, but no eBay.
Save your invoice from Amazon.
Thanks!

Quote:
I'm trying to think how long ago I got the RSXs.... granted I haven't done much wheeling in last few years but my XJ has had a fair of hard miles in Moab yearly for 10+ years and Con about 7 time plus I drove it to and from each place (not a trailer queen).

Anyways - any issues with buying from Amazon for the warranty? It seems that they have the best price.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode