Upgrading/Updating my trucklite headlights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MAG00

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-12-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Upgrading/Updating my trucklite headlights

I know there are a lot of headlight threads but was trying to see what compare to the trucklites. Iím thinking about moving my trucklite led headlights off my Ď13 JKU over to my Ď07 JK that Iím fixing up to hand down to my son (it was my late Dadís). I like the more ďwhiteĒ light from them and wide beam that they cast. Have gotten to where I hate driving vehicles without that type of light from their head lights.

I have read a lot and watched a lot of videos and am having a hard time deciding. The options I have looked at are:

- JW Speaker J2 (maybe a quadratech set for lower price)

- Morimoto Super 7 (different look, from videos I like the color and low beam pattern)

- Another newer set of Truck Lites (put newer set in my '13 JKU and move older set to the '07 JK)(I've had no issues with these and seem to have done well)

- Vision X Vortex (I know Vision X makes good stuff. Don't know much about the lights, from individual reviews/comments that is)

- Maybe the KC Gravity Pro (expensive side and saw good and not so good review on beam patterns and color)

Thoughts on these specific options?

I know the JWs have a big following and seam to have a good reputation. From videos, just not sure on beam pattern/color for the price. I like a very white (no yellow) light. I may be wrong on what I see on video as I know the camera can play tricks sometimes.

'13 JKU Billet Silver, RockKrawler 3.5 lift, JRi Shocks, Currie VXR60s, Spyderlock Wheels, Nitto Trail Grapplers 37x12.50, ARB Twin with Lockers, PSC Hydro Assist, Superchips Flashpaq, Rubi Rails, Ace Rock Sliders, sPod, JCR Front & Rear bumpers, Engo 10KS Winch, KrawlOff-Road LEDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-13-2019, 12:06 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I ran a set of lights from ledfactorymart.com. They looked like this:

They put out a lot of light, and were far better than the OEM, BUT... The main problems I had were: the light wasn't concentrated enough where I needed it (on the road); the light was slightly blue and so reduced visibility; and the high beams just threw a large blob of light way above the viewing area and were useless. I usually couldn't see the road all that well, but every single reflector in view was as bright as could be haha. After a couple of years with them, I switched to the JW Speaker J2. Huge difference - nice white light with a hint of yellow (which helps a lot), the intensity is focused right where it's needed most, and the high beams are very effective. I wasn't expecting all that much difference after seeing some videos of the light pattern, but I now know I should have gone with the JWS long ago. Oh, and the JWs have built-in anti flicker circuitry, so install takes maybe 10 minutes.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 09-13-2019, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
I ran a set of lights from ledfactorymart.com. They looked like this:

They put out a lot of light, and were far better than the OEM, BUT... The main problems I had were: the light wasn't concentrated enough where I needed it (on the road); the light was slightly blue and so reduced visibility; and the high beams just threw a large blob of light way above the viewing area and were useless. I usually couldn't see the road all that well, but every single reflector in view was as bright as could be haha. After a couple of years with them, I switched to the JW Speaker J2. Huge difference - nice white light with a hint of yellow (which helps a lot), the intensity is focused right where it's needed most, and the high beams are very effective. I wasn't expecting all that much difference after seeing some videos of the light pattern, but I now know I should have gone with the JWS long ago. Oh, and the JWs have built-in anti flicker circuitry, so install takes maybe 10 minutes.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Thanks @rockystock Appreciate the feedback. I guess the Jws have a large following for a reason. I'd prefer to not have the hint of yellow but understand why it's there. I've looked at a ton and seriously considering these along with the Vision X Vortex light.
rockystock likes this.

'13 JKU Billet Silver, RockKrawler 3.5 lift, JRi Shocks, Currie VXR60s, Spyderlock Wheels, Nitto Trail Grapplers 37x12.50, ARB Twin with Lockers, PSC Hydro Assist, Superchips Flashpaq, Rubi Rails, Ace Rock Sliders, sPod, JCR Front & Rear bumpers, Engo 10KS Winch, KrawlOff-Road LEDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-17-2019, 02:24 PM

For the price of the JW's go with a quality projector with 55watt HID system. Will give brighter light and better beam pattern. HIDprojectors.com has very nice projectors from plain to fancy. I prefer the Murimoto HID kits in 55 watt. This is an excellent combo.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-17-2019, 06:49 PM
Wheeler

I got the Jw speaker LED headlights a little over two years ago and love them. They were spendy but the best upgrade I've made
post #6 of 7 Old 09-19-2019, 08:47 PM
Rock God

I run the KC Gravity Headlights and Fogs on my JK, I can say I could not be happier with them. I have had them in since it was purchased in March of 2017. Have not had a single issue with them Very happy with the light output and pattern.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-20-2019, 06:25 AM
Rock God

Garage

I've tried a bunch.

Had a set of old 7" retrofit projector HIDs that I loved for years. Swapped them into my H1 years back and sold them with the truck.

When I bought my current JK, I tried several combos of bulbs, and HID setups with the stock reflectors, as well as the Delta crossbar housings. I didn't like the light output of any of them. Compared to my old projector HID setup, they really sucked. Either I could not see as well, or I was dazzling oncoming traffic or both.

I settled on the Heated Trucklights, and have been running them ever since. In Montana, I needed the heated function, but the light output was very good. Not quite as even as the old projector HIDS, but more than acceptable. And the cutoff is excellent.

I've been running them for 5 years now.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode