Door well spot welds popped....? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gt1guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-06-2019, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Door well spot welds popped....?

Noticed this as I was heading to work this morning. The spot welds on my door wells seem to have somehow mysteriously popped? What gives? Is my only solution to pull out the mig and drill these out and lay some new tacks? That doesn't bother me so much... I just really don't want to fuck with paint.

So...anyone else have this happen to them? I don't know if this has anything to do with my corners?

Dunno why the pics uploaded sideways, or how to fix. Sorry about that.
Attached Images

2015 JK- trussed and locked 44's, 37's, beadlocks, Synergy/Metalcloak control arms, Genright, Warn, Crawler Conceptz, Poison Spyder...blah blah blah

Last edited by BoraBora; 09-06-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-09-2019, 11:25 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Are you sure the welds are actually popped? Looks like it might just be the paint that failed in those tight inside corners of the weld pockets.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-10-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
Are you sure the welds are actually popped? Looks like it might just be the paint that failed in those tight inside corners of the weld pockets.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not positive, but I assumed they popped since the paint cracked in a complete circle. Not sure how or why this happened on its own. Not looking to involve a body shop, but paint is my nightmare...so I might have to if this grows like a tumor.

2015 JK- trussed and locked 44's, 37's, beadlocks, Synergy/Metalcloak control arms, Genright, Warn, Crawler Conceptz, Poison Spyder...blah blah blah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Rock God

I see a hint of rust. I do not live in a rust belt state, by any means, but I would probably want to make sure it was the weld, and not the rust, that caused the failure.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-11-2019, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Scooter View Post
I see a hint of rust. I do not live in a rust belt state, by any means, but I would probably want to make sure it was the weld, and not the rust, that caused the failure.
Yeah I have a little bit of rust here and there from chipped paint. I took the time to paint all the holes I drilled for the corners and rocker armor, and applied RTV to all nutcerts I put in. Are you implying that there could be a lot more going on behind the scenes that I'm not seeing?

This area isn't really a rust belt, but I've driven up the Maine and Vermont a few times during snow storms. I'm pretty good about washing the salt off. That being said, there's definitely some rust around some of the nutcerts for the body armor. I figured I'd address these in the future when they actually got bad (I have a buddy who restores rusted body panels/areas on Porsche's). But now I've had my morning coffee and I'm anxious about it lol

Last edited by BoraBora; 09-11-2019 at 07:42 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-12-2019, 11:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That entire area is pretty well full of foam on the inside. Just a FYI.

Name:  DSC09146.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  805.1 KB

Oh, and it's flammable. I learned the hard way.

edit: That's kind of a strange location for the spot welds to let go. Slamming the door really, really hard might put some force on them. But you can see in the pic that that rear has extra reinforcement.

Do you have rock sliders that kiss the rocker panels?

Kevin

Last edited by gt1guy; 09-12-2019 at 11:54 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-13-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
That entire area is pretty well full of foam on the inside. Just a FYI.

Attachment 338360

Oh, and it's flammable. I learned the hard way.

edit: That's kind of a strange location for the spot welds to let go. Slamming the door really, really hard might put some force on them. But you can see in the pic that that rear has extra reinforcement.

Do you have rock sliders that kiss the rocker panels?
Thank you for the pic!!

Yeah, I've definitely slammed the doors pretty hard sometimes out of frustration (lol). My VKS sliders have definitely made contact with my rocker armor here and there, but I wonder if the corner and rocker armor are pulling at the sheet metal, causing the spot welds to go?

post #8 of 8 Old 09-13-2019, 01:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoraBora View Post
Thank you for the pic!!

Yeah, I've definitely slammed the doors pretty hard sometimes out of frustration (lol). My VKS sliders have definitely made contact with my rocker armor here and there, but I wonder if the corner and rocker armor are pulling at the sheet metal, causing the spot welds to go?
I wasn't paying attention, just realized JK not JKU.

You could very well be on to something there with the corner armor.

Now that you've noticed it, I'd just keep an eye on it. Any change, hit them with the mig. Or just hit them with the mig now, and not worry about going all ADD every time you open the door.
BoraBora likes this.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode