New wonton - one ton axle options? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 08-16-2019, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

New wonton - one ton axle options?

G'day JKO, it has been awhile! Hope everyone is well and its nice to see a little uptick in traffic here. So instead of being smart and building or buying a buggy, I am looking at another JK . Would like to be able to do a road trip, wheel (not Backdoor, Rubicon esque), not rebuild or replace shafts on the trail, and drive home. Yes, 35-37 tires would be better but I already had a JKUR on D60's and 38's and had fun with the build and driving it so...

Any recommendations for axles that weren't on the table in 2016/2017? Any thoughts on the following?

- Miller Rock Racing - Spydertrax Axles - full float, 9/10 inch ring gears, ABS compatible, price on inquiry (have reached out - not a budget build but great parts and Erik got back to me straight away). I have always thought a lot of Spydertrax, Erik seems like a great guy, and the weight reduction, after lugging D60's around, sounds good.

- Fusion - great looking products, and tons (sorry) of options from 60/44 hybrids to the 2005+ Superduty and Kingpins a plenty. Has anyone run their new Superduty roller? Can you run that in 8x6.5 to match a D60 rear, or, do you have to run 8x170 in the rear as well? I'll reach out to Fusion on that one.

- ECGS - I know they sell crate axles but also do their own builds - anyone running their 60's or Fabricated 9's?

Usual suspects from back in the day.
- Dynatrac - same offerings as 2016/2017?
- Currie - Semi-float D60's, Full float 60's/70's, full float F9's... anything new?
- Teraflex - I've never looked at their one ton options but they have some nice looking centers.
- Moper UD60's - same JK axles, any improvement on welds for tabs? I'd have someone weld the tubes to provide extra support beyond the plug weld (mind were decent fwiw).
- Solid axles - haven't seen anything from them in awhile.

If I missed any new options, preferably something you have worked on and or wheeled, let me know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-16-2019, 03:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Fusion can build you fabricated 9/10s as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-17-2019, 09:24 AM
JKO Addict!

I have done a couple sets of Fusion in the last year and would recommend them. I run the pro rock 60/80 combo and would go with fusion if I were to do again. Or I would build a super light weight build with 9" axles. I shaved some weight off it last winter and the rear may go under the knife this winter to loose some more weight. I would really like to get it down to around 4000 pounds but will be tough with the axles/wheel combo weighing in at nearly 1500 pounds.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-17-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Gentlemen, many thanks for the feedback.
I reached out to Fusion awhile back but I don’t think I got a quote for their 9’s - some
great perspective and and info though so I will check in again.

Dirtman - going for a lightweight build with 9’s, would you still go full float with 8x6.5,
5x5.5 (at one stage i understand that was Currie’s standard bolt pattern for built 9’s?), or would you think about 5x5 semi float? I’m guessing the model (2 vs 4 door), tire size (37 vs 40) and overall build weight all factor in, but my general leaning... if you’re going to pay for a new set of axles, the extra cost for full float, and the weight gain, are worth it for most builds?

Also, any sense of what contributes the most to weight gain for 60’s vs factory 44’s? Tubes, brakes, center, full float hub/spindle, or is it just a general gain across the board?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode