JKOwners Forum banner

Any long-time Magnuson 3.8 users..?

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Chris85xlt 
#1 ·
Hello. I have a 2007 JK Rubi 2-door, 3.8L 6-speed that I bought new. It has very low mileage (36,000) because I use my other vehicle as a daily driver and because I modified the JK for mild rock-climbing (4 inch lift, 37 inch tires). It actually goes 'OK' because of the 4.10 gears and 6-speed tranny, but getting on the freeway can be a little dull. Been thinking about a HEMI swap, but I really can't justify the $30k for something I don't drive much. Been thinking about the Magnuson/3.8 Kit for some time now, but know the 3.8 doesn't have that strong of a bottom end.

I was wondering if there's any long-time users of the Magnuson on the 3.8...?

Mileage? Comments?

Much appreciated. :smile2:

#3 ·
maybe I can lend a related-topic addition to the OPs question by including a question I've recently wondered ; what is the recommendation for upgrading a candidate engine but one w/ higher mileage.
I have always assumed you'd wanna SC as new an engine as possible,right? Do folks add one to a rig w/ 75k on it ?

just curious and always wondered.

#5 ·
. . . JK Rubi 2-door, 3.8L 6-speed . . . 4 inch lift, 37 inch tires. It actually goes 'OK' because of the 4.10 gears and 6-speed tranny, but getting on the freeway can be a little dull. Been thinking about a HEMI swap, but I really can't justify the $30k for something I don't drive much. Been thinking about the Magnuson/3.8 Kit for some time now, but know the 3.8 doesn't have that strong of a bottom end.

I was wondering if there's any long-time users of the Magnuson on the 3.8...?

Mileage? Comments?

Much appreciated. :smile2:
I'd re-gear the differentials to 4.88:1 or 5.13:1, then see if you "need" more oomph.
Best bang for your buck, IMO.

#13 · (Edited)
I looked at these and coming from the coyote, voodoo, and LT4 boost gains... i just couldn’t justify the money for such little improvement. I regeared to 5.13 and it helped tremendously around town, but not on the highway for passing where i need it most.

If i had a pentastar, I’d do forced induction in a heartbeat and it might just be a turbo. Our motors and my tranny(yall all manual it seems) are just kinda black sheep.

#19 · (Edited)
i ordered the magnuson supercharger but they are no longer available. I ended up with a Ripp with a pretty hefty discount. its currently sitting on the floor of my garage cause im still pondering if i should really install it or not. A $8k Hemi or LS would be more ideal but can it still pass CA smog? i heard some rules had changed recently making it more difficult to pass.

im running 37x13.5r17 Toyo M/T's with 4.56 gears and it seems fine. the initial acceleration from a stop does strain the clutch a little more then if i was running 35's but doesn't rev out as quick. i like shifting around 3200rpms. 6th gear works as long as the road is fairly flat but cruising in 5th gear isn't an issue either.
i think a bit more power across the board mainly to get to and from trails would be great, so maybe SC'er will be ok?

if i decide to regear, might be time for all new axles and just go 40's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.