Having hard time installing Rock Hard Skids - Help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ExWrench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-01-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Having hard time installing Rock Hard Skids - Help

Hi, installing the Rock Hard 3/16 steel oil/tranny and transfer case skid on my 2016 JKUR Hard Rock. Having lots of fitment issues. I've watched every video out there plus viewed any thread I could find and they seem to go on a lot easier than they have been for me.

My transfer case skid hangs down a good 3" after tightening the rear two bolts and two of the 4 bolts that hold the skids to the cross member don't line up enough to get a bolt started. I'm using the provided spacer and my exhaust seems to be really close as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been fighting these for about 5 hours now. I've tried a variety of jacking one or the other or both skids, I've tried loosing already installed hardware. It's been a frustrating ordeal to say the least. This isn't my first time wrenching on stuff either.

Attached are a few pics to show what I have going on. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-02-2019, 10:45 AM
Granite Guru

Do you have exhaust spacers on your jeep? If so they need to come out. And the transfer case skid goes over top of the trans engine skid.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 Old 08-03-2019, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

as said , you overlap the engine-oil skid over the transfer skid so it slides over rock or whatever w/out hitting the opposing lip edge.

it isn't out of question that your crossmember may have enough subtle mishapening or be a little bent , misaligning the holes ,however I agree w @rich6700 this could be the exhaust spacers still ibein nstalled

I believe instructions may mention having to possibly modify or drill ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-03-2019, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich6700 View Post
Do you have exhaust spacers on your jeep? If so they need to come out. And the transfer case skid goes over top of the trans engine skid.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
The spacers are there for a reason. I'm not sure if you got them mixed up but it's actually the opposite. The oil/tranny skid goes over the transfer case skid as directed by the instructions. If it was the opposite you would have an edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

as said , you overlap the engine-oil skid over the transfer skid so it slides over rock or whatever w/out hitting the opposing lip edge.

it isn't out of question that your crossmember may have enough subtle mishapening or be a little bent , misaligning the holes ,however I agree w @rich6700 this could be the exhaust spacers still ibein nstalled

I believe instructions may mention having to possibly modify or drill ?

As you mention I'm thinking the cross member may be tweaked just enough to cause the issues. I did finally end up getting it using longer hardware but my exhaust is now rubbing. I think I need to add another spacer.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-03-2019, 03:55 PM
Random Dude

Your exhaust will likely rub on that RockHard skid - mine did (2010 2 door 3.8L):

I tried adding .050" of spacer with washers:

. . . and that still wasn't enough to keep it from knocking, so I replaced the 1/4" steel spacer with a 1/2" aluminum one I made:

It leaves a snag potential when backing up:

. . . but it hasn't fawked me yet, so I'm over it for now.

EDIT: I'm still running the factory Tcase skid (below my RH engine / trans skid) so your eng. skid is spaced down more than mine was.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 08-03-2019 at 03:58 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-05-2019, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Bound View Post
The spacers are there for a reason. I'm not sure if you got them mixed up but it's actually the opposite. The oil/tranny skid goes over the transfer case skid as directed by the instructions. If it was the opposite you would have an edge.

As you mention I'm thinking the cross member may be tweaked just enough to cause the issues. I did finally end up getting it using longer hardware but my exhaust is now rubbing. I think I need to add another spacer.

FWIW, my M.O.R.E. engine,tranny skid has enough ' character' after 7 seasons of trails that it was contacting my 3.8l crossover pipe ; I just wrapped it all in exhaust header wrap & it stopped the rattle, ymmv

post #7 of 8 Old 08-06-2019, 04:41 PM
JKO Addict!

After the BS I went through with their wretched cage fit and poor response to my inquiries I'd never buy another RH4X4 product. That their skids don't fit isn't a surprise.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-19-2019, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
After the BS I went through with their wretched cage fit and poor response to my inquiries I'd never buy another RH4X4 product. That their skids don't fit isn't a surprise.

that answers a question I was gonna ask you about when I saw that cool picture up on your 1st comment in this thread reveals that good view thru the sunlit windshield that shows the cage bar above dash so clearly ...we've talked about it b4 on other thread but I never heard your opinion perspective on fit of the cage from RH. that clarifies it for me.
I think I only have 1 RH4X4 product , their aluminum evap skid . it's good and light . hard to mess one of those up ,heh .

sucks to hear this lack of QC there.

( edit: I lied ; I have the RH4X4 dome skid bolthead ramps on all of the skids -jj)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode