JKOwners Forum banner

Looking for vhf/uhf radio recommendations

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  libordemise 
#1 ·
I wheel with people from two local 4X4 clubs here in British Columbia. Nobody uses CB radios and I've been told by several people that I need to get a vhf/uhf radio for my Jeep. I had to borrow someone's handheld on the last run. I'm actually going camping this week where there's no cell signal and hopefully nothing happens because I think my CB will be next to useless in an emergency. What are some good radios that are good bang for your buck?

#5 ·
I don't know about the 9R, but I have a bunch of the 5R ones, and they make a replacement battery door without a battery, but with a 12v plug. I just plug it in, and hang it on an aftermarket phone mount that's to the right of the factory stereo. I keep a couple of charged batteries in a plastic bag in the glove box in case I ever need to go mobile.

If the 9R cradle is anything like the one for the 5R (they might be exactly the same) a radio sitting in the cradle while bouncing offroad would just jump out. That's kind of why I did mine the way I did. Well, that plus the mounting conundrum you are having.

#12 ·
I don’t have HAM but I put a Kenwood TK-790 VHF radio with a remote head in my JKU for desert race stuff. Plus out here in California I might catch some type of race team out and about on some of the channels. Bought a mine used off a Facebook page. Can post or send pics if wanted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.