Looking for vhf/uhf radio recommendations - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-27-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Looking for vhf/uhf radio recommendations

I wheel with people from two local 4X4 clubs here in British Columbia. Nobody uses CB radios and I've been told by several people that I need to get a vhf/uhf radio for my Jeep. I had to borrow someone's handheld on the last run. I'm actually going camping this week where there's no cell signal and hopefully nothing happens because I think my CB will be next to useless in an emergency. What are some good radios that are good bang for your buck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-29-2019, 08:27 AM
Granite Guru

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R.../dp/B007H4VT7A

Chris Steimle
Product Manager

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-29-2019, 05:56 PM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllJumpStyle View Post
What he said....a friend of mine has several heís a ham nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-19-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'm getting licensed at the end of October. I ordered a couple Baofeng UV 9R plus radios. Does anyone have suggestions on where to mount the charging cradles in the Jeep?
post #5 of 11 Old 08-19-2019, 06:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC20K View Post
I'm getting licensed at the end of October. I ordered a couple Baofeng UV 9R plus radios. Does anyone have suggestions on where to mount the charging cradles in the Jeep?
I don't know about the 9R, but I have a bunch of the 5R ones, and they make a replacement battery door without a battery, but with a 12v plug. I just plug it in, and hang it on an aftermarket phone mount that's to the right of the factory stereo. I keep a couple of charged batteries in a plastic bag in the glove box in case I ever need to go mobile.

If the 9R cradle is anything like the one for the 5R (they might be exactly the same) a radio sitting in the cradle while bouncing offroad would just jump out. That's kind of why I did mine the way I did. Well, that plus the mounting conundrum you are having.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #6 of 11 Old 08-19-2019, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruman View Post
Quote:
I don't know about the 9R, but I have a bunch of the 5R ones, and they make a replacement battery door without a battery, but with a 12v plug. I just plug it in, and hang it on an aftermarket phone mount that's to the right of the factory stereo. I keep a couple of charged batteries in a plastic bag in the glove box in case I ever need to go mobile.

If the 9R cradle is anything like the one for the 5R (they might be exactly the same) a radio sitting in the cradle while bouncing offroad would just jump out. That's kind of why I did mine the way I did. Well, that plus the mounting conundrum you are having.

Hmmmm... yup makes sense. I see some mounting brackets for handheld radios online. I guess they would have to be plugged into 12 volt. There's no way to plug a charge cable in with the battery still attached in the mount?
post #7 of 11 Old 08-19-2019, 07:37 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Hmmmm... yup makes sense. I see some mounting brackets for handheld radios online. I guess they would have to be plugged into 12 volt. There's no way to plug a charge cable in with the battery still attached in the mount?
Not that I could find. That's why I dropped a couple of spare batts in the glove box. I just switch them out every once in a while.

As a side note, I've found that these radios work great with the MURS band driveway alert motion detectors, so I keep several around the property to alert me if someone arrives. This would work great in the backcountry. just carry a couple of the motion detectors and set them up anywhere you'd want to be alerted. Get alerts anytime the bears are getting into the food stash, or the racoons are in the cooler, etc...

https://www.amazon.com/Dakota-Alert-.../dp/B001BI4QUK

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #8 of 11 Old 08-19-2019, 03:02 PM
Rock God

Not to mention that the standard batteries last a long time, a few days, at least.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-19-2019, 03:21 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

I picked up a Juentai JT6188 (like a Rugged Radios RM-25R with a better handset) from a forum member for next to nothing. I have zero complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
yíaller quenchin' with beer
post #10 of 11 Old 08-21-2019, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruman View Post
Quote:

I'm trying to find the battery replacement for the uv 9r. No luck yet.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-21-2019, 08:34 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
I'm trying to find the battery replacement for the uv 9r. No luck yet.
This is the one I have used on all of mine

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BNGC6HH...dDbGljaz10cnVl

2011 Jeep Rubicon JKU 6.0l VORTEC L96 - 6L80E 6 speed auto
40" Cooper SST Pros-17" Level 8's - 4.5" Synergy Suspension
WTO Hydro assist- Fusion D60's 4.88 gears
VKS Fab and XRC Bumpers/Armor-9500 Synthetic Winch 10lb CO2-Teraflex Big Brake Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode