RE Progressive Spring Issue - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-23-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

RE Progressive Spring Issue

I thought I would share some info since I couldn't find any threads on the subject.

I recently decided to go with a lower lift height spring so I thought I would give the Rubicon Express 3.5 progressive springs for the JKU (RE1371P,RE1376P) a shot. As a comparison I also brought in the standard RE 3.5 springs (RE1371,RE1376). I am switching from a Pro Comp 5" spring on a long arm kit.

The standard RE 3.5" springs lowered the Jeep 1.5" as expected. When opened the box for the progressive spring I noticed a smaller spring diameter than the PC and the RE standards. The unsprung length of the progressive was close to the 5" springs and that was perfect because I wanted to keep the longer shocks I had from the larger lift and keep the springs in the bucket.

After installing the progressive it lowered the Jeep 3" and the springs had some pretty bad deflection. I called RE and they stated it was a known issue and due to the JL its on the back burner to fix. Long story boring the RE 3.5" Progressive is a weak and overrated lift height spring.

I hope this helps someone. I still haven't decided on a spring that will stay seated.

My Jeep has steel bumpers and rock sliders so its fairly weighted down. 09JKUR
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-23-2019, 11:00 AM
JKO Addict!

You would figure that after the bushing debacle, they would work a bit harder to address "known issues". Then again they are owned by Trans so they can do whatever they want...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-23-2019, 06:20 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschpounder View Post
After installing the progressive it lowered the Jeep 3" and the springs had some pretty bad deflection.
. . . it appears the bow in that spring could be because it's elevated on the right side of the photo, possibly due to interference with the inner C gusset.

Here's the quickest recent pic I could find of my front end showing the spring and C-gusset:

Name:  20190526_134030.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  202.0 KB

EDIT: adding another view:

Name:  20190526_134057.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  219.2 KB

My springs rub and squeak on the C-gussets, but sit pretty flat on the spring perches.

"Fawk RE" is a pretty safe bet but that one specific gripe may be not their fault (but I'm not betting on it).

If I'm just seeing it wrong / optical illusion / etc., disregard . . .

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 07-23-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode