Front 4 Link question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By thedirtman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-18-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Question Front 4 Link question

I have JKUR that I eventually want to go long arm. It's not my only vehicle. But, I do drive it on the street regularly. I do like to take it on long trips with the family, etc. I am on 37s now and fully believe that I will stay at this tire size for a long, long time. Anyway, I've been kicking the around the idea of long arms. Looking at all of the bolt on options, etc. People's custom builds.

I know a ton of people are rolling 3 link front and back. But, I always have the thought what if I break a control arm or more likely rip off a bracket. I will be up shit creek on a 3 link.

I like how the Clayton 3 link and Artec use the crossmember for the lower control arm attachments. But, Clayton uses the driver side to mount the upper control arm and Artec uses the passenger side.

If redundancy is very important to me, why could I not run either of those crossmembers and then a upper brackets on both sides and have a 4 link up front?

2017 JKUR Recon 6spd Firecracker Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-18-2019, 05:51 PM
JKO Addict!

You don't gain much going to the cross member with a front long arm. Personally I don't think it is worth the time and effort to do.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-19-2019, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
You don't gain much going to the cross member with a front long arm. Personally I don't think it is worth the time and effort to do.
you don't think a front long arm is worth it at all?

2017 JKUR Recon 6spd Firecracker Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-19-2019, 08:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Dont you gain several inches of frame side separation going that way?

post #5 of 7 Old 07-20-2019, 08:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecTxAg06 View Post
you don't think a front long arm is worth it at all?
Its a lot of work and expenses for almost no gain.

Some build info here:

post #6 of 7 Old 07-20-2019, 08:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Dont you gain several inches of frame side separation going that way?
You can gain separation by locating the lowers on the cross member but you then the arms hang down lower to catch on more stuff. You will also have to put heavy duty cross member brackets on the frame as the factory ones are too thin to handle the lowers. By mounting on the lower section of the cross member your lowers are no longer parallel and adding triangulation with a pan hard can cause suspension bind.
ALASHA likes this.

Some build info here:

post #7 of 7 Old 07-20-2019, 01:21 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
You can gain separation by locating the lowers on the cross member but you then the arms hang down lower to catch on more stuff. You will also have to put heavy duty cross member brackets on the frame as the factory ones are too thin to handle the lowers. By mounting on the lower section of the cross member your lowers are no longer parallel and adding triangulation with a pan hard can cause suspension bind.
I can attest to the factory cross member frame side mounts being severely inferior if mounting lowers to the cross member. Mine twisted out and ripped the control arm mount 3/4 of the way off the thin factory cross member.

Chase Weston
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode