all at once or bit by bit? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rich6700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-15-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

all at once or bit by bit?

Hey guys!

Whelp..turns out i finally bent my d30. (yup, she is smiling at me pretty bad). Anyway, made the jump to the PR44/60 combo...
currently running 2.5 AEV lift with the geo brackets...but, I will also be upgrading all 8 control arms to MC as well as new 2.5 MC coils...
The axles will take a few months to get here (shipping to Siberia takes a while), but i already have the control arms/coils.

My ultimate question is this: should i wait and do the whole install together? would it be better to install control arms and coils now?
is there any advantages to doing it either way?

thanks in advance all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-15-2019, 10:33 PM
Random Dude

If you're going to take "ol' Smiley" wheeling before the axles arrive, installing your new suspension could give you an appreciation for any differences those pieces make. It would also allow you to get your control arms and miscellaneous bullshit dialed in so the axle swap is just that - just the axle swap.

If that doesn't appeal to you, doing it all at once would be less work than doing a lot of it twice.

- your Jeep, your cash, your time - whatever you want to do is what's right - you get the deciding vote.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 9 Old 07-16-2019, 02:57 PM
Granite Guru

I would wait till the new axles are in. The reason being is your going to have to set it up all over again.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
SweetCJ7 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-16-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

thanks guys! the idea of doing the work twice isn't exactly appealing...but i get the point.

I guess the plan at this point is to wait....but i can see myself just staring at it one day and saying "[email protected] it...doing this NOW"

thanks again guys!
post #5 of 9 Old 07-17-2019, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistik_monkey View Post
Hey guys!

Whelp..turns out i finally bent my d30. (yup, she is smiling at me pretty bad). Anyway, made the jump to the PR44/60 combo...
currently running 2.5 AEV lift with the geo brackets...but, I will also be upgrading all 8 control arms to MC as well as new 2.5 MC coils...
The axles will take a few months to get here (shipping to Siberia takes a while), but i already have the control arms/coils.

My ultimate question is this: should i wait and do the whole install together? would it be better to install control arms and coils now?

thanks in advance all!

hey, I'm sorry you went thru that rather costly experience,OP , but sounds like it has yielded you strengthening the parts further which is never a bad thing!

favor , if I may ask ;

we so seldom get to see an actual bent housing or "C" or tube or knuckle that I am sure I speak for everybody when I politely ask if you could post a link to an image or two of your prior D30 smiling at you & your wallet ?

I am not being sarcastic; we hear of bent housings but never get to see nearly as many . Thought you might share a link to an image you've got in the cloud someplace....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-17-2019, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hahaha. No worries! I knew you guys would ask (lurking on this forum since i got the jeep, just rarely chime in since most of you guys have WAY more expertise than me)...and have zero issues sharing. So, took a few pics with my phone of the tire smiling. And, since I drive it every day/have it in my garage, I would love to take more photos or do anything requested (put a level on it or something of that nature) to help.

Can take close up photos or whatever you guys would like to see.

(I am on my phone at the moment so bear with me on the video)

I DO have a video of when it happened...or one of the moments i THINK it happened...and if i can figure out how to upload that, i will share... was in the middle east and dune bashing. Dont remember if it was during a regular desert crossing or the "Wahiba Challenge".
Attached Images

post #7 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 08:26 AM
Rock God

I say bit-by-bit.

The second time around, it's not like you're trying to determine the set-up for everything. Drop axles/install axles. Perhaps it's not spot-on, but you're not out of the ball park.

While you're at it, re-pack the joints, check other previously installed components for proper fastener torque, possible interference/clearance issues that may have exposed themselves, etc.

And what if the new axles don't show when expected? Do you really want a few thousand dollars in parts laying around collecting dust for another few months before you get to enjoy them?
post #8 of 9 Old 07-24-2019, 11:24 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistik_monkey View Post
Hey guys!

thanks in advance all!
Yes wait. Unless you want to dial everything in more than once. Depending on the whether you chose the Unlimited version of the axle or not, the caster is going to be way different between the old and the new. Also, you want to balance the pinion angle with the caster. More waiting less wrenching.

The flip side to this is: you can get the coils broke in and have a more accurate application setup once the axles go in.

Allen's Offroad - 530-620-1100
Email me at:

FREE SHIPPING on orders of $99.99 or more.

post #9 of 9 Old 07-25-2019, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

thanks for the images ,OP!
sorry that happened but sounds as tho you were having fun on the dunes at the time.
I see the smile...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode