winch problem - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Guruman
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 07-15-2019, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

winch problem

I went wheeling on the weekend and now my winch just makes a clicking sound everytime I press the buttons on the remote. Just one single click for every press. It spooled for about 1 second then just a click when the button is pressed. I didn't go through any deep water or anything. Just tiny puddles and lots of dust. The jeep, engine bay and interior are covered in dried dirt and dust. My under hood light stopped working also. Anyone know what this could be?

Its an 07 jkur.

Damn jeep 😫
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-15-2019, 03:20 AM
Rock God

Winch issue could be the solenoid pack. Do you have a multimeter that you could use for a little troubleshooting? Also, what winch do you have?
post #3 of 17 Old 07-15-2019, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yup I have one. I just have to open the winch up. Its a champion 10,000 lb steel cable winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 07-15-2019, 09:00 PM
Granite Guru

There's your problem, Chinese winch. Pull the cover off of tje solenoid pack and check for loose connections. Does it spool out?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 17 Old 07-15-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

It does spool out. I contacted them because I can't figure out how to open it up. They said they will help trouble shoot. Wevwill see how thst goes.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-16-2019, 05:48 AM
Rock God

Garage

Some percussive maintenance will sometimes temporarily resolve an issue with a relay contactor not making full contact. Give it the old tappy-tap-tap, maybe while holding the button down.

You could also try spraying some contact cleaner in there... if you can get it in there.

Otherwise... It's likely a loose connection as previously mentioned or one of the relays. I recently went through this with an older winch. Replaced the old mechanical relays with a solid state unit.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Astra-Depot-C...gateway&sr=8-9
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #7 of 17 Old 07-18-2019, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruman View Post
Some percussive maintenance will sometimes temporarily resolve an issue with a relay contactor not making full contact. Give it the old tappy-tap-tap, maybe while holding the button down.

You could also try spraying some contact cleaner in there... if you can get it in there.

Otherwise... It's likely a loose connection as previously mentioned or one of the relays. I recently went through this with an older winch. Replaced the old mechanical relays with a solid state unit.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Astra-Depot-C...gateway&sr=8-9

Interesting. Thanks for that suggestion. If only I could get into it. I contacted Champion, they said to send pics of the wich so they could suggest trouble shooting. I sent pics snd havent heard back. How do you get in? I really would prefer not to have to take it off the bumper if its possible. It's a pain in the ass.
Attached Images

post #8 of 17 Old 07-18-2019, 10:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

The relays should be under the center cover with the "Champion" lettering. From what I can see it looks like the top set of fasteners on each side may hold the center cover in place.

I'd start by disconnecting the battery then, removing those fasteners to see if the cover will come off.

It might look something like this:

Each one of those is a relay. In this example they are single pole, so it takes 4 of them to do all of the switching to do power in and power out.

Yours *might* have just 2 relays, in which case they would be dual pole.

Either way all of that mechanical switching mess could be replaced with a solid state unit like this:

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #9 of 17 Old 07-18-2019, 10:01 AM
Random Dude

Is that top center section plastic or metal? If plastic, it probably is a snap-fit. If metal, it's probably retained by the top 2 bolts on each side.

If that top center cover doesn't un-snap and lift off, I'd remove the top 2 bolts on each side of the top piece and see if the center section lifts off. If that doesn't do it, I'd remove the bottom 2 nuts/bolts on each side and take off the whole top bridge.

Hose the bolts down with Kroil, PB Blaster, WD-40, or similar ahead of time so the bolts are less likely to seize and snap upon removal.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #10 of 17 Old 07-18-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'm gonna bench test the motor and see if that's working or not. I tried removing the bolts on the side snd the thing won't open up still. The control box is plastic.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-19-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ok so I did the bench test and got no motor activation. I then tried the remote again and the motor spooled for half a second and that was it, just more single clicks when I pressed the buttons.

I'm waiting to hear back from Champion about how to open up the winch. I removed the bolts on the sides of tge control box and it won't open.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-19-2019, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC20K View Post
Ok so I did the bench test and got no motor activation. I then tried the remote again and the motor spooled for half a second and that was it, just more single clicks when I pressed the buttons.

I'm waiting to hear back from Champion about how to open up the winch. I removed the bolts on the sides of tge control box and it won't open.
am I the only one that sees not-just-a slight gap in the name-plate/electronics cover stamped with a "CHAMPION" brand that sorta appears as if it is smirk of a slight-opening in it that screams to me "this is probably where you open me" shield-cover visible , plus I see the three screws or hex-heads or bolts rusting on the front lower lip there that you'd likely need to get undone for electronics access. Have ya looked-up under this part where you'd lift to get under there,OP?

"...gettin in it should be the easy bit ..", said El Destrcto

ExWrench likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 07-19-2019 at 09:33 AM.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-19-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yup, I've been coresponding with Champion. They said to do the bench test then report the results back then they will instruct as to how to open it up and what to test next. I never noticed those bolts under there. Coukd likely be it. Thanks.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-19-2019, 01:40 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
am I the only one that sees not-just-a slight gap in the name-plate/electronics cover stamped with a "CHAMPION" brand that sorta appears as if it is smirk of a slight-opening in it that screams to me "this is probably where you open me" shield-cover visible , plus I see the three screws or hex-heads or bolts rusting on the front lower lip there that you'd likely need to get undone for electronics access. Have ya looked-up under this part where you'd lift to get under there,OP?

"...gettin in it should be the easy bit ..", said El Destrcto

Holy crap, j3ff3ry! I know I need new glasses, but I am fookin' impressed!

I thought ( ) I looked closely at OPs pics, but you get the Scooby Doo award

Props, dude - consider my investigatory ass kicked this time around, oh super sleuth

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #15 of 17 Old 07-19-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So, Champion tells me the motor is gone and a new one will cost $160 plus tax and shipping. They suggested that it might be more cost effective to purchase a new one.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-19-2019, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC20K View Post
So, Champion tells me the motor is gone and a new one will cost $160 plus tax and shipping. They suggested that it might be more cost effective to purchase a new one.
I think I'd wait til next holiday or sale & just snag myself a nice entry level quality winch if I can were OP

yeah, @ExWrench , I'm just OCD about rust & can spot it anywhere,heh.
plus, only so many ways that could be accessed & none struck me as very high tech , pardon me , OP ; I've never heard of the Champion brand , frankly.

post #17 of 17 Old 07-19-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

&#x1f44d;&#x1f44d;&#x1f44d; thanks for all the suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode