Power Steering Pump Broke. What should I buy? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By supercell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-14-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Power Steering Pump Broke. What should I buy?

So I was just romping around on a trail and I turn my wheel and hit the gas, then I lose power steering. I hear power steering whining for 10 minutes or so with throttle then the noise went away. My fluid/belt/box/lines/pitman arm etc looks fine to me. From what I've read its the PS pump that is broken. I also read that the OE PS Pump is trash cause when it gets hot the plastic inside melts. I don't have that much money to spend right now. Should I get an OE pump again or something a little better? Is there a cheap way I could get hydro assist? Red neck ram seems nice, but is a little too expensive for me rn. I already have a nice tie rod with a nice clamp for a ram. What about the AGR Steering pump w/overdrive pulley. Honestly, I'm fine with the stock steering. I just want something that will last over OE. Opinions??? its a 3.8 jk on 35's.

Last edited by supercell; 07-14-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-14-2019, 10:49 PM
Rock God

The absolute minimum cost of hydro assist is probably about $350, which covers a ram and hoses, and you do everything else yourself (mounting parts, and drilling/tapping your own box).

That still wouldn't include the pump, you can run OEM it's just a bit slow on steering speed. Otherwise you'd want some higher flow pump. I think the 3.8L takes just about any TC series pump (confirm that's true, but that's my understanding).

Based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend AGR. Not a very good company to work with. They respond to emails before you give your credit card, then basically ignore you. The pump I got was faulty and it was hard to convince them to even take a return because they say they dyno test it so it can't be a bad pump. I ordered a drop-in equivalent pump from PSC in the mean time so I wouldn't be down for weeks and it worked perfect, so it was indeed a bad pump. AGR took months to get me the warranty replacement, ignoring most emails and occasionally responding saying it'd go out tomorrow/this week/etc. never actually shipped until I threatened credit card charge back.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-14-2019, 10:53 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

What's your setup? Tires, lift, axles, heavy add-ons, etc.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-14-2019, 10:57 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

You could get a lightly used OEM pump and add a cooler for low $$. Or just add the cooler - not sure you really killed your pump...

post #5 of 12 Old 07-14-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

pretty built up dana 30 on 35s. solid diff cover. lokka locker. ten factory chromoly axles. c gussets are waiting to be welded on. teraflex balljoints. no heavy addons, just standard metal bumpers/winch/sliders and such. rear is just the stock dana 44 with a zip locker. lift is only 3" so i havent dont a flipkit or anything. I guess that affects ram mounting? Ok thanks, i wont go with agr then. Like I said, I dont think I need hydro, I just want something better than the factory pump if possible. I can't really find anything though.

what makes you think I didnt kill it? How can I know for sure? I took the belt off and spun the pump, and it seemed to spin fine... ive been driving it all day without power steering and theres no noises or anything. I have no clue what else it could be. ah yea a power steering cooler is a good idea

Last edited by supercell; 07-14-2019 at 11:13 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-14-2019, 11:13 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

You're going to want maybe a PSC pump eventually (they have great customer service btw); but I'd just add the cooler first and see how she go...

post #7 of 12 Old 07-15-2019, 06:11 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

My OEM pump acted up like that once. ~95 degree day on the trail, just finished a long uphill stretch... The pump whined off and on for the rest of the day. I think it just gets very hot and small bubbles can form in the system, probably just moisture or other volatiles dissolved in the fluid that can boil off when hot enough.

post #8 of 12 Old 07-15-2019, 07:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Id recommend Howe. Been running their pump for years.

I also probably still have my factory pump I could sell...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-15-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

How much would you sell your pump for? How many miles did you put on it? I think I'll go oem pump with a cooler
post #10 of 12 Old 07-15-2019, 10:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercell View Post
How much would you sell your pump for? How many miles did you put on it? I think I'll go oem pump with a cooler
I did the swap in Feb/March of 2014. Id have to go check how many miles I had on it around that time (I keep pretty detailed logs). Im thinking $120 is fair?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-15-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So I just ordered a $150 pump from rocksauto and a genright cooler. Think I'm set, thanks everyone.
ALASHA and rockystock like this.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-15-2019, 08:34 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Good luck with your new setup! Sounds like you'll have a good quality cooler. I'd recommend looking into the cooler and see if the ends look obstructed. I bought the PSC cooler setup back in 2014 and their kit included a Derale single pass 3/8". One of the hose ends was fairly blocked by the first radiator tube (see photos below). If I'd seen that before installing, I'd have sent it back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode