TPMS Light - Need help. Tried lots of fixes - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rich6700
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-04-2019, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Feedback: 0 reviews
TPMS Light - Need help. Tried lots of fixes

I bought 2013 JKU for my 18 year old daughter from one of my best friends. The JKU has about 50,000 miles and was customized with a lift, 34" tires and 22" wheels. We bought a few weeks ago knowing I needed to put some new tires on it soon. My daughter put about 500 miles on it with no issues and I decided to go ahead and get the new tires before she goes off to college.

The tire pressure light on the dash came on a day or so after installing the new tires. Checked the tire pressure on all 5 tires and all was good. Took it back to the tire shop and they reset the light (yes they were surprised they could reset it because they even knew that normally you have to drive it for 10 minutes or so for it to reset). It stayed off for about 20 miles then was right back on. I then took it to a different tire shop (because mine was closed), they checked the sensors in all 5 tires and they all were shows the sensors were transmitting and the batteries were ok.

So this week, we were going out of town so I left it at my tire shop again and they reset the light and reprogrammed the sensors and drove it a couple of days. They thought they had it fixed all though they were puzzles why they could reset the light without driving it. I picked it up this afternoon and drove about 20 miles and the light is back on.

If this was my jeep I wouldn't worry about it but since it is my 18 year old daughters, I would really like to get it back working before she is running the roads back and forth to college.

I did buy a programmer and adjusted the psi threshold when the light should come on and that didn't help either.

Anyone seen this behavior before and have any idea what I should try to fix it?

Thanks for your help
whitlecj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 07-05-2019, 05:57 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 537
Feedback: 0 reviews

a few questions
1) does it have the Enhance dash display to show the actual tire pressure? if so are they all displaying? it will come on if there is too much pressure just as quick if it has too little pressure in the tires
2) what programmer are you using to set the threshold on the TPMS?I had a super chips on my 2014 but if I remember correctly somewhere along the use of it they took away the ability to set exact pressures and made it just kill the warning light instead.
Tspevacek is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 07-06-2019, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspevacek View Post
a few questions
1) does it have the Enhance dash display to show the actual tire pressure? if so are they all displaying? it will come on if there is too much pressure just as quick if it has too little pressure in the tires
2) what programmer are you using to set the threshold on the TPMS?I had a super chips on my 2014 but if I remember correctly somewhere along the use of it they took away the ability to set exact pressures and made it just kill the warning light instead.
It does not have the enhanced display. I used the app OBD Jscan to adust the pressures. I have no idea what to try next
whitlecj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 07-06-2019, 04:29 PM
Granite Guru
 
rich6700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Glenside, Pa
Posts: 230
Feedback: 0 reviews

It's the 22 inch wheels. The jeep is rejecting them.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
funfred likes this.
rich6700 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 07-06-2019, 09:54 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 537
Feedback: 0 reviews

I am willing to bet at least 1 of the tire pressure sensors is damaged.
Tspevacek is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 07-07-2019, 04:45 PM
Wheeler
 
Mguesto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pa. 18078
Posts: 10
Feedback: 0 reviews

Make friends at the Jeep dealer service counter. I had the same problem on my 09 X and his handheld device fixed my problem

again had to drive it longer than normal for the light to go out but once it did go out. it stayed out.

5 weeks ago.

wish you luck

Matt
Mguesto is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 07-10-2019, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich6700 View Post
It's the 22 inch wheels. The jeep is rejecting them.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response. It was working with the same 22" wheels for approximately 50k miles so I do not think that is the case.
whitlecj is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 07-10-2019, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspevacek View Post
I am willing to bet at least 1 of the tire pressure sensors is damaged.
I am beginning to think you are right. Had to be damaged when they put the new tires on even though they all show as good. Not sure how to get the tire shop to find the problem.
whitlecj is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 07-10-2019, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mguesto View Post
Make friends at the Jeep dealer service counter. I had the same problem on my 09 X and his handheld device fixed my problem

again had to drive it longer than normal for the light to go out but once it did go out. it stayed out.

5 weeks ago.

wish you luck

Matt
Can you give me more info on the handheld? I am willing to go try anything at this point. Thanks!
whitlecj is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 07-10-2019, 05:37 AM
Rock God
 
Pmedic920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 533
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlecj View Post
Can you give me more info on the handheld? I am willing to go try anything at this point. Thanks!


Iím thinking like was mentioned above, one or more of the sensors got damaged during the new tire swap.

If your actually willing to try ďanythingĒ, and you truly want the issue resolved for your daughter, bite the bullet and just order 5 new sensors.

Personally Iíd take it back to the original shop and have them do the install. When it fixes your problem you may get them to (not) see the light, and they may wave the install fee.

Good luck.
Pmedic920 is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 07-10-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic920 View Post
Iím thinking like was mentioned above, one or more of the sensors got damaged during the new tire swap.

If your actually willing to try ďanythingĒ, and you truly want the issue resolved for your daughter, bite the bullet and just order 5 new sensors.

Personally Iíd take it back to the original shop and have them do the install. When it fixes your problem you may get them to (not) see the light, and they may wave the install fee.

Good luck.
This is exactly what I am going to do. I talked to them this morning and I am going to supply the new sensors and they are going to put them on for free. Hopefully it takes care of it.
whitlecj is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 07-11-2019, 05:24 PM
Wheeler
 
Mguesto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pa. 18078
Posts: 10
Feedback: 0 reviews

When i visited my dealer and had the light on. He brought out a hand held device and pointed at each tire. Some of my sensors were the wrong ones for my 09 JK They were putting out on the wrong frequency. and one tire reported having 164 pounds of air pressure in them. Had them install the correct ones and they used that device again to get them registered with my Jeep.

Seems the previous owner or the dealer i bought from swapped wheels and tires from a 12 or later jeep which is on a different frequency.

i believe the new sensors cost me 78 each plus remounting and balancing. The dealer i bought from picked up the tab. (WOW)

all is fine now. The device looked like a larger than normal odbII

Matt
Mguesto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome