Poor shifting, overheating going uphills... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-01-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Exclamation Poor shifting, overheating going uphills...

Need to figure this out.. 13 JK auto with 4.88 and 37s programmed with Procal.. itís feels slow an under powered, struggles on hills, downshifting too late, holding gears too long and getting hot.. up to 235-240 degrees when going up steep grades. But cools off quickly on flat ground.. something isnít right. My girlfriends 2013 JKUR, also programmed with a Procal, auto 37s and 4.10 gears drives totally different, doesnít get hot like that or have the shifting issues.. feels very responsive from a start. Any ideas? PFA

SkullDaddyGraphics.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

2013 JK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-01-2019, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

burnt or low - or both - ATF +4 ...on hils there's not enough viscous, hethy ATF being able to be picked-up , maybe 'cause it's gunked. I assume you mean the tranny fluid is that temp. cause if the engine is that hot you got some other bad stuff goin down. when was tranny serviced last?

post #3 of 18 Old 07-01-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

No, that is the engine temps I'm getting. I'm not sure what the tranny temps are. I only have 51k miles. I've never serviced the trans fluid and bought it with 35k miles.

SkullDaddyGraphics.com

|
|

2013 JK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 07-01-2019, 12:04 PM

did it just start doing this, or was there a mod made to the jeep and then the issue started?
post #5 of 18 Old 07-01-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

It's been like this for awhile...just tired of it, now that I know our other 2013 JKUR is nothing like that, so I'm on the hunt for a fix.

SkullDaddyGraphics.com

|
|

2013 JK

post #6 of 18 Old 07-01-2019, 05:43 PM
Rock God

Any engine codes/check engine light? Almost sounds like a partially plugged exhaust. Maybe not, just popped into my head when I read the symptoms.

If it's not downshifting properly, or upshifting too early it could cause engine lugging, which would cause sluggishness and could cause high engine temps. Have you double-checked the Pro-Cal settings? Maybe something is off. Can't imagine that would cause it to feel sluggish when starting from a stop though, which it sounds like you say is the case.

Does your Jeep have a lot more armor/weight than hers (skids, bumpers, rock rails, corner armor, fenders, winch, etc.)?

Last edited by BigTB; 07-02-2019 at 05:43 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-01-2019, 09:09 PM
Rock God

Plugged cat.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-02-2019, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Scooter View Post
Plugged cat.

^ x2

post #9 of 18 Old 07-02-2019, 10:34 AM
Rock God

Poor shifting, overheating going uphills...

VS

Easily could cause those symptoms the way I understand things.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-03-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
Any engine codes/check engine light? Almost sounds like a partially plugged exhaust. Maybe not, just popped into my head when I read the symptoms.

If it's not downshifting properly, or upshifting too early it could cause engine lugging, which would cause sluggishness and could cause high engine temps. Have you double-checked the Pro-Cal settings? Maybe something is off. Can't imagine that would cause it to feel sluggish when starting from a stop though, which it sounds like you say is the case.

Does your Jeep have a lot more armor/weight than hers (skids, bumpers, rock rails, corner armor, fenders, winch, etc.)?
No codes. Exhaust is stock, except for magnaflow muffler. I have deleted the settings.. and added them again, same thing. It feels like I'm driving a 4 cylinder. The weight is close to the JKUR we have.. it's night and day difference with how it drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Scooter View Post
Plugged cat.
I don't see how the cat can be plugged... it only has 51k miles, I change the oil over 5k along with the air filter... and isn't there more than one cat? I haven't heard this to be an issue with anyone else...

SkullDaddyGraphics.com

|
|

2013 JK

post #11 of 18 Old 07-03-2019, 08:36 AM
Rock God

I bought my 07 with 68k miles on it and those cats were completely burnt out (from cracked factory manifolds). A lot can happen in your 51k miles.

2007 JKU Sahara........................... 2015 JKU Sahara
5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Teraflex 44 front, Stock 44 rear........35's
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #12 of 18 Old 07-03-2019, 10:55 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by skulldaddy View Post
No codes. Exhaust is stock, except for magnaflow muffler. I have deleted the settings.. and added them again, same thing. It feels like I'm driving a 4 cylinder. The weight is close to the JKUR we have.. it's night and day difference with how it drives.

I don't see how the cat can be plugged... it only has 51k miles, I change the oil over 5k along with the air filter... and isn't there more than one cat? I haven't heard this to be an issue with anyone else...
A cat shouldn't burn out that fast, but it can definitely happen.

At this point if it were me I would just start diagnosing it as an engine down on power. Start with air (check intake/air filter and the exhaust). If there are no air restrictions (in or out) then move on to fuel and if that checks out, maybe a compression/leakdown test is in order. Plugged exhaust came to mind because it will cause a drop in power and can also cause high engine temps.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-05-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

I will start with air, not sure how to check fuel delivery.. or lean condition? Otherwise I'll move on to checking the cats... if it is the cats, I would assume I'd be getting some sort of code, which I'm not. That's what has me stumped, and thinking this is just a programming issue.

Is there a way to reflash or reboot the ecm? Unhook the battery? I'd like to try a different program, but want to start from stock. I'm simply not trusting my Procal to do it's job.

SkullDaddyGraphics.com

|
|

2013 JK

post #14 of 18 Old 07-05-2019, 11:56 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by skulldaddy View Post
I will start with air, not sure how to check fuel delivery.. or lean condition? Otherwise I'll move on to checking the cats... if it is the cats, I would assume I'd be getting some sort of code, which I'm not. That's what has me stumped, and thinking this is just a programming issue.

Is there a way to reflash or reboot the ecm? Unhook the battery? I'd like to try a different program, but want to start from stock. I'm simply not trusting my Procal to do it's job.

I get it, youíve stated you donít trust the ProCal but Iíd personally start by reloading my stock tune from it.

Call ProCal and talk to them first, there may be an update that you should do?
post #15 of 18 Old 07-05-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Good idea, I'll get in touch with them.

SkullDaddyGraphics.com

|
|

2013 JK

post #16 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 07:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Jumping in here, and not meaning to be an @$$#0!3. Your combination of tire size & gear ratio should be fine with a 3.6L. Be sure you have the tire diameter programmed correctly, along with the gear ratio when you use the Procal. Measure the tire diameter with a tape measure at street pressures from the ground to the top of the rear tire(s). Don't program in the rated size from the sidewall.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #17 of 18 Old 07-10-2019, 04:50 AM
Rock God

That doesn't seem likely (but I won't say it's wrong). A slight mismatch in tire size shouldn't cause the over heating... poor acceleration and/or shifting, sure. If the tire size mismatch was great enough to cause the engine to overheat I'd think the tranny would bitch about ratio mismatch and go into limp mode.

2007 JKU Sahara........................... 2015 JKU Sahara
5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Teraflex 44 front, Stock 44 rear........35's
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #18 of 18 Old 07-15-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Yeah, I even deleted the Procal settings, and added new ones, making the tire size .5" difference and still the same effects.

SkullDaddyGraphics.com

|
|

2013 JK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode