• 1 Post By Pmedic920
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 1 Post By Uncle Sams Misguided Child
  • 1 Post By Uncle Sams Misguided Child

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-19-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Fumoto Valve

I recently installed the MetalCloak skid system, and it became obvious that changing oil was going to be a lot messier than normal. Either that or I was going to fill up my skids with 2-3 qts of oil @ every change.

Not sure what others are doing to mitigate the mess but I went with the Fumoto Valve.

Iíve seen the Fumoto mentioned here before but donít recall the conversation. I fully understand thereís a risk in running one of these gadgets but Iíve got a simple fix for that. I cut a small piece of aluminum to cover the access hole and protect the valve. ( I also carry oil and the original plug when wheeling).

Anyway, Iíve heard the stories of these valves getting knocked off, and folks losing their oil on the trail or street but Iím happy and confident in my simple solution.

I changed my oil today for the first time and it was a breeze. ZERO mess, ZERO oil in my skids. I used a tube long enough to make it directly into the drain pan.

I got more than 5.75 qts of used oil out, so I donít buy the stories of these valves leaving too much dirty oil in the pan.

Maybe this will help someone with avoiding messy oil changes with aftermarket skid systems. I think the Fumoto Valve gets a bad wrap.
Just protect it, itís simple and makes changing your oil a breeze.

j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-19-2019, 06:59 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Looks good!
We've been using one for 5+ years on our '14 JKUR, no issues and oil changes are a breeze. Waiting to install skids on the wife's '18 before I add one to it.

His- 2014 JKUR
Hers- 2018 JK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired- 2016 JKWW
Retired- 2013 JKU
post #3 of 14 Old 06-20-2019, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

well, there goes one of this year's ," stuff I've learned Jeep tips" , tips I had for 2019 , thanks , @Pmedic920

lol, ....

our man's correct , tho'
All 3 of my Jeeps have oneof these & there's one on the way for our new Ram 1500 for once I start changing it's oil.

I will point out that this won't bug ya if your obsessive like I am about changing your engine oil on time ( every 3000miles) since the approximately 1/2 cup of 5w-20 will not clear the pan lip & the fumoto valve inner sealing lip completely, thus you can't drain every drop out. But, I can change oil in any of them in under a half hour so worth that minor triviality. If you keep good clean oil ,that doesn't matter.

Rick Rand likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-20-2019, 05:14 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Have one of their original designs on for years now. The RROR skids have an access plate already so there was no need to add one to the skids.

I did try to put one on the hellcat but the steering is in the way.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-20-2019, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Have one of their original designs on for years now. The RROR skids have an access plate already so there was no need to add one to the skids.

I did try to put one on the hellcat but the steering is in the way.

yet ANOTHER great reason to just swap those powerplants
around , bud. You can use the Fumoto valve on that Hellcat engine oil pan if you had the nice, open roominess of it being in the Wrangler. At least switch them around this weekend to see if I'm not right; if it's not quite to your liking , you can always just put them back the way they were.

<---------------(solely because you can utter any phrase & follow it with ," my Hellcat" or " the Hellcat" in a possessive-case usage)

post #6 of 14 Old 06-20-2019, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Baby Sound View Post
Looks good!

We've been using one for 5+ years on our '14 JKUR, no issues and oil changes are a breeze. Waiting to install skids on the wife's '18 before I add one to it.

Youíre way too kind, it actually ďlooksĒ like crap.
I cut that aluminum with an angle grinder in a hurry.
Iíve got more aluminum and Iíll cut another piece ďsome dayĒ (doubtful).
But it will serve the purpose in the meantime.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-20-2019, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Fumoto Valve

I will add this:
Anyone thatís considering a Fumoto, I suggest that you get the one with the longer nipple.
My intention was to leave the tube clamped to the valve, and simply coil it up to leave in place. Would lay on top of skid without problem.

Without thinking I ordered the short nipple version and thereís just not enough room to easily get a clamp on the tubing.

I was able to get a wire type clamp on there but it interfered with the safety lever on the valve, so Iíll be keeping the tube with my funnel.

The long nipple version is a buck or two more but would be worth it IMO.

Edit:
An option that I may try next time I change oil is, to uninstall the valve and connect the tube before reinstall.
This may allow me to rotate the clamp to the back side of nipple (out of the way of the safety lever).
This is what I got. Because itís a version that can be rotated 360*

I recommend this
But check for clearance. You donít want this valve to take ANY hits.

Last edited by Pmedic920; 06-20-2019 at 06:06 AM.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-20-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

yet ANOTHER great reason to just swap those powerplants
around , bud. You can use the Fumoto valve on that Hellcat engine oil pan if you had the nice, open roominess of it being in the Wrangler. At least switch them around this weekend to see if I'm not right; if it's not quite to your liking , you can always just put them back the way they were.

<---------------(solely because you can utter any phrase & follow it with ," my Hellcat" or " the Hellcat" in a possessive-case usage)

I was just talking with the wife about this idea last night. Of course she gave me that stern "the fuck you are" look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic920 View Post
I will add this:
Anyone thatís considering a Fumoto, I suggest that you get the one with the longer nipple.
My intention was to leave the tube clamped to the valve, and simply coil it up to leave in place. Would lay on top of skid without problem.

Without thinking I ordered the short nipple version and thereís just not enough room to easily get a clamp on the tubing.

I was able to get a wire type clamp on there but it interfered with the safety lever on the valve, so Iíll be keeping the tube with my funnel.

The long nipple version is a buck or two more but would be worth it IMO.

Edit:
An option that I may try next time I change oil is, to uninstall the valve and connect the tube before reinstall.
This may allow me to rotate the clamp to the back side of nipple (out of the way of the safety lever).
This is what I got. Because itís a version that can be rotated 360*

I recommend this
But check for clearance. You donít want this valve to take ANY hits.
Or do what I do and take a zip tie and tie the handle down in the locked position.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-20-2019, 07:20 AM

And here is the original thread.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/jk-ge...oto-valve.html

Quote:
Quote:
post #10 of 14 Old 06-20-2019, 11:45 AM
Granite Guru

I have also been running this valve on my jku for about 4 years and zero issues. Love it!

08 JKU 6.0 LC8 6L80 Atlas 2 39" KM3's on Trilogy race beadlocks, prorock 44,rcv's arb front. rock jock 60 rear 40spline shafts,arb 5.13's and a bunch of other stuff
post #11 of 14 Old 06-20-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:

Went back and read it.
Kinda crazy that was started almost 9 years ago.

Was definitely time to revisit the topic.
Also seems that Fumoto has updated and come out with a couple of newer versions.

With the exception of the short nipple, I like the one I have because it can be rotated (clocked) in whatever position that works best for your application.

Thanks for the link.

:{)
post #12 of 14 Old 06-26-2019, 07:03 PM
Wheeler

Just adding my two cents. I installed the FUMOTO with the long nipple on my 2012 JKUR right after I took it to the dealership for a "free oil change". It took weeks to get the oil out of all the nooks and crannies. The valve works great. I though about leaving a hose on and coiling it up on the skid plate but it has been just as easy to push the hose on before I open the valve. No dirt/dust build up on the hose when it stays in the garage. No clamp required as there is no pressure when draining. The valve is well above the opening in the skid plate and I have had no issues with any of the rocks getting close enough to make me worry.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-27-2019, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:

that's the thread I read way back about a year afterwards ( & when I'd just gotten my JKU) that reacquainted me w/ the Fumoto for use in our Jeep world..

jkowners heyday!

post #14 of 14 Old 07-11-2019, 04:51 AM
Wheeler

I put one of these on when I bought my Rockhard engine skid. No need for an additional skid as it is tucked up out of the way. I use a small piece if tubing without a clamp and replace it every 4 or 5 years.

I put one on my wife's FJ too! No way to bung up the threads with the original drain plug!

2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2 Door
Treks Rear Shock Relocators
MOPAR Extended Rubicon Rock Rails
Expedition One Front Skid
Kilby Muffler Skid
Rockhard 4x4 Belly Skid & Evap Skid
Olympic Receiver Hitch Front Bumper
Tuffy Stereo Lock
Cobra 75 CB
Cooltech CB Antenna & Mount
Kilby Switch Panel
1500 Watt Power Inverter
Glow Lights Footwell Lights
OK Offroad Fuse Box
Front & Rear ARB Lockers
5.13 Gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode