Upgrading airfilter? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ALASHA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-18-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Upgrading airfilter?

Looking at a reusable air filter and I see some get oiled and some don't (heard the ones without oil are better) Might get it a cold air intake or just using the factory housing. Looking to squeeze out a few extra mpg. What's everyone's opinion on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-18-2019, 11:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Id be surprised if you even saw a 1 mpg increase.
rich6700 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-18-2019, 06:38 PM
Rock God

Essentially the best air filter is the factory style. The box is pretty good at keeping water out (if you seal the holes in the bottom), and it's a quality filter.

The vast majority of aftermarket filters absolutely suck at filtering. A Jeep doesn't really benefit from it, and most "cold air" intakes are just a marketing term and it's still a hot air intake (how exactly does taking out the factory filter and putting a filter in exactly the same place make it any colder? It's total BS).

Aftermarket filters are for bling, or to gain room in your engine bay for suspension, engine upgrades, etc.

Your MPG is very unlikely to change at all, and if you're very lucky, you might gain a low single-digit number of horsepower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-19-2019, 06:32 PM
Rock God

I use a K&N reusable one, the one that is the size/shape of the stock filter.

I doubt that it’s technically any better but I paid a lot for it, it makes me feel like I upgraded.

Cheers
:{)
post #5 of 5 Old 06-20-2019, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

the OEM is fine .
Seat of pants feel but you will see almost no change to mpg. Honestly , the best aftermarket for Wrangler is contained from enginebay heat and elements. Our Wrangler JK/JKU enginebay's are what Mopar calls 'wet engine bays' meaning potentially full exposure to elements, water specifically. The sealed airbox takes this into consideration. As such , keeping that & selecting a drop-in filter is all you need if you gotta go aftermarket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode