aTX427's Nugget LCG 2-door build - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By aTX427
  • 2 Post By aTX427
  • 1 Post By aTX427

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-17-2019, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I had a life change towards the later part of my TRUWW build and I am relocating to downtown Seattle. Seemed like a good excuse for another Jeep, so I picked up a high mileage 2-door JKR to start a new project. This little guy who will now be referred to as "Nugget", was in rough shape. A salvaged Jeep from NY with rust, bent axle and was absolutely filthy. I got a screaming deal on it and figured it shouldn't die the miserable death is was subjected to. After a weekend of scrubbing the interior, it looked as good as it could. Not bad considering. Next was cleaning up the frame rust and repainting.

Out of the gate, I did replacement brakes (red powder coated), ball joints, union bearings, SST brake lines, a fabricated drag link and tie rod I had from previous builds and Currie track bars from the 4-door. Brave Motorsports helped out with a few things to get me started including: rear / rear Ten Factor chromoly axle shafts, Synergy lower front CA's, Synergy inner C reinforcements. Synergy truss modified for 1/2" bump and a front end leaving kit.

It was supposed to be a simple axle mod for 37's, but in the process, we noticed the front axle was bent. Luckily, Dave as the tooling to straighten it out, otherwise, I would have wasted out a lot of labor and parts. Keep in mind, this little guy is going to live downtown in a high-rise parking lot and is intended to be a basic trail Jeep. I want it low CG to handle well on mid arms and nimble to get through the forest.

I added a set of Method MR106 beadlocks wrapped in 37" TG rubber and started cutting everything in the way of the tires to clear full bump with no more than 1" of bump stop in the front starting with fender flares. With a 1-1/2" front and a 1/2" spacer in the rear, I am able to run 11.5" Bixstein's with 5" up travel all around.

Getting it back, I did a PSC rear cross member, a-pillar cubes, an ARB twin, CB and a Switch Pro to power it all. Here is where it stands today.
Attached Images

j3ff3ry_j33p and ndtguy like this.

4-Linked front and rear | Full Hydro | 42" Treps | Genright Dash

Last edited by aTX427; 06-18-2019 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-18-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Chopped about 4" of frame to stuff the winch under the grill.
Attached Images

KrawlOff-Road.com and ndtguy like this.

post #3 of 12 Old 06-18-2019, 06:11 PM
Rock God

I like the front frame chop and stuffing the winch. It gives the front of the Jeep nice clean lines. Let me know when you want to fab a new one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 2 door manual sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-18-2019, 07:16 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Love the idea of stashing the winch like that. Did you or do you plan to reinforce the plate under the winch mount?

Itís stock!
post #5 of 12 Old 06-20-2019, 07:32 AM
JKowners Vendor

Love the look of this. How much of the grill did you trim?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #6 of 12 Old 06-21-2019, 06:33 PM
Rock God

Cool jeep. I did the same with my winch (warn m8000 like yours) when I built my bumper a few years back.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-27-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
I like the front frame chop and stuffing the winch. It gives the front of the Jeep nice clean lines. Let me know when you want to fab a new one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can make another. Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discarded View Post
Love the idea of stashing the winch like that. Did you or do you plan to reinforce the plate under the winch mount?

Haven't put a load on it, but it's 3/8" aluminum plate bolted to L-brakets I welded to the frame. I H-beamed the lady one using 1/4" AL on my Truww Jeep and it held fine. I'll test it this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
Love the look of this. How much of the grill did you trim?
Couple inches. I wasn't worried out it. Grills are cheap.
KrawlOff-Road.com likes this.

post #8 of 12 Old 07-12-2019, 09:24 PM
Rock God

I'm working on doing something like this right now. How did you handle the bar that goes across the body near the bottom of the radiators? I can't really tell in your pictures but it looks like it must be gone. Did you cut it out like this so that it still has two support points for the grill (circled in green) but the remainder removed? That bar is problematic on the winch switch and makes me have to mount it an inch below the frame rails while it looks like your winch is higher.

If so, any concerns on structural support here? I can't tell for sure if there's other structure, but it sort of looks like that's the only thing holding the front bottom of the body together.

Got a picture of the front with the grill removed?

post #9 of 12 Old 07-13-2019, 07:37 AM
JKO Addict!

here is what I did with mine. I just used a generic warn winch mount that fit perfect between the frame rales.
Attached Images

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #10 of 12 Old 07-14-2019, 08:15 AM
Rock God

OMG
I love that look.
Iíd kill to be able to tuck my winch that way.
Iím jealous of you guys that can do stuff like that.

Some day maybe I wonít be a chicken shit, and Iíll tear into things.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-15-2019, 05:45 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Dirtman,

I see you tied your shock hoops into the framerail. I know itís reinforced but how was the frame wall to work with? It seems pretty thin up front but I havenít really looked at it closely. (Only had it for a couple months now) Is it thick enough to weld structural points to directly or do you have to have a base plate to spread the area?

Itís stock!
post #12 of 12 Old 07-15-2019, 07:23 PM
JKO Addict!

It was fine, I think it is thicker in that section of frame. I uses gussets and there are two tubes that connect the hoops across the top of the motor.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode