Unusual sector shaft/pitman arm question... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-12-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Unusual sector shaft/pitman arm question...

Hey all, I've got a "go-fast" build going on right now.

I'm swapping out my solid axle up front for a TTB setup with custom steering. For the steering I'm planning on running two pitman arms at each frame rail with a tie rod running parallel to the ground between them (so three total tie rods). Think of a custom beefed up chevy idler arm setup. Running a custom idler setup like this, I can place my tabs for each tie rod going to the wheels exactly where they need to be for long travel bump steer free travel. Kind of like my crude text drawing below where the right hand "x" would be the pivot for the PS beam and the left "x" would be the DS pivot.

l l
[]–––––––––––––[]
x x

My conundrum at this point is the height of the idler rod. I'm not doing a "cut & turn" which is common on these TTBs to correct steering geometry with a lift since I'm custom fabbing my pivot points for the beams and will place them in a close to ideal position. To prevent bump steer, I need to place my tie rod pivot points almost in line with the beam pivots.

My initial thought was some drop pitman arms (also commonly used by the desert guys with TTBs) but I don't want to put too much strain on my sector shaft. Since there will be no angle on the tie rod actually bolted to the pitman arm and since it will be supported on both ends, should I be ok to run a pretty extreme drop?

l l
l l
[]–––––––––––––[]
x x

At this point I don't even know how much of a drop Ill need, but I know Ill definitely need some.

If the general consensus is no, don't do this, I could always try and drop my steering box some as well to try and split the difference between a more mild set of pitman arms and the height of the box itself.

Thoughts?

*EDIT My little text drawings aren't rendering in html how they do in the editor, but hopefully you get the idea.

2008 JKU Sahara on jack stands with suspension completely removed, engine completely exposed, crossmembers cut out, and wiring harness dangling by the firewall. Soon, IFS front suspension with trailing arm 4 link in the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-13-2019, 08:09 AM
Random Dude

No idea if this helps you, but you Autofab uses a vertical idler on their long-travel TIB setup:
Name:  F142675531.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  56.9 KB

Maybe by chance a JKO member would have long-travel TTB experience, but that's something I'd research on Pirate or RaceDezert

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 7 Old 06-13-2019, 06:59 PM
Rock God

Bene playing with TTB for years on a ranger, thought about doing a solid Axle under it but never got around to it. I run a James Duff 5.5 stage 3 under a 97 Splash. the following link will cover most of your questions What I ended up doing for steering was a super lift super runner. it uses a cross over and has fixed the manners of the thing on the road.
https://www.therangerstation.com/how...and-alignment/

names super lift steering correctly had swamp runner it is actually super runner steering.

Last edited by Tspevacek; 06-14-2019 at 05:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-17-2019, 02:45 AM
Granite Guru

Pirate 4x4 Hardcore section. If you dare....

90% of the people on here pay for oil changes ;-)
post #5 of 7 Old 06-17-2019, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

...and ,of the 10% that change their own oil on here , I'd imagine maybe .005% of them could be of any help with TTB setups on Wrangler JK/JKUs.

Our parent-site, Pirate4X4 has stuff such as :

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...ttb-setup.html

therein you'll find much more TTB setup savvy rig exp , helpful & approachable online guys. Just tell them what you're planning...

Laggy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-20-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the suggestions guys and I am pretty regular on those forums as well. Posted here since it was a question more related to JK sector shaft strength and pitman arm angles.

I've decided to just relocate my box into the most ideal position as possible while running the minimum amount of drop on the pitman arm, none if possible. I can angle the box as well if needed.

A broken sector shaft is not something Ill want to deal with anytime soon.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-20-2019, 11:37 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggy View Post
Pirate 4x4 Hardcore section. If you dare....

90% of the people on here pay for oil changes ;-)
Everyone pays for oil changes, numbskull.

2007 JKU Sahara........................... 2015 JKU Sahara
5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Teraflex 44 front, Stock 44 rear........35's
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode