Broken spider gears...what next - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jvandy50

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-09-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Broken spider gears...what next

Long story short, i made a boo boo and am still learning little valuable lessons 1400 miles later. Forgot to tighten 5 lugs on my brand new tire/wheel setup and went for a drive to check steering(literally the last thing i had to do after having it down for death wobble surgery)...wheel came off at 45mph...i was lucky enough to not hurt anyone, or myself. But the jeep hit a ditch and then some woods, it was a wild ride and i hit hard enough i just knew it was totaled...to my surprise, i just bent/tweaked many things.

One of those things was a bent driver rear flange. Called up Marcus and ordered some ten factory replacements, went to install yesterday and found metal chunks in the tube...so we pulled the diff cover and...

Name:  D47E8F33-F7E0-424E-9344-81E30CAFADE5.jpeg
Views: 103
Size:  3.05 MB

Name:  7FEF3F3E-C81D-46C1-9699-4CE349A0D55F.jpeg
Views: 91
Size:  1.35 MB

Now my question...Iíve been trying to figure out how the fix will go, what all will have to come out, and what else should i upgrade while in here. Itís a 2010 JKU sport with 3.73 and LSD. Reading some saying good time to do locker and gears, and others saying you can just do the spiders, conflicting part numbers, etc. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance fellas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-09-2019, 11:46 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Wow that sucks. You could just replace with a used axle, probably cheaper than fixing that one. The Dana 30s can't be that expensive, especially from private seller who upgraded. Maybe look for a used rubi / 3.73 axle (probably much more rare)...

Car-part.com has them w. lockers for 1-2k; non-locking for $700+/-.

I wouldn't trust the R&P after that either. Is there a nick on the ring in that last photo?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Last edited by rockystock; 06-09-2019 at 11:50 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-09-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
Wow that sucks. You could just replace with a used axle, probably cheaper than fixing that one. The Dana 30s can't be that expensive, especially from private seller who upgraded. Maybe look for a used rubi / 3.73 axle (probably much more rare)...

Car-part.com has them w. lockers for 1-2k; non-locking for $700+/-.

I wouldn't trust the R&P after that either. Is there a nick on the ring in that last photo?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
I could not find any chips on ring or pinion, but I was considering regearing while I'm in here. I just don't know what all has to come out or be replaced. I've got chromoly shafts and that's the whole reason I was in here to begin with. It's a rear non-rubi 44 btw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-09-2019, 03:10 PM
Rock God

Broken spider gears...what next

If it was me, Iíd re-gear and add a locker.
Obviously thatís a chunk of money, and may not be in your budget.

Few things come to mind.

1) id want someone to give that carrier a good going over before installing new gears in it. It could have stress cracks that you canít see with naked eye.

2) Iíve shared my re-gear story before but Iíll give you the short version.

I bought gears and master re-build kits online for a great price, only to find it very difficult to find someone to install them.
Nobody wanted to do the work if they didnít provide the parts.
Quoted reason was due to any possible warranty claim. (Makes Sense)
When I finally found a shop, their price ate up the savings and then some.

If you canít do the job yourself, unless you already have a plan, I recommend that you let the install shop also sell you the gears.

My motto is, any breakage is a perfect opportunity for upgrades.

Best o Luck.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-09-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic920 View Post
If it was me, Iíd re-gear and add a locker.
Obviously thatís a chunk of money, and may not be in your budget.

Few things come to mind.

1) id want someone to give that carrier a good going over before installing new gears in it. It could have stress cracks that you canít see with naked eye.

2) Iíve shared my re-gear story before but Iíll give you the short version.

I bought gears and master re-build kits online for a great price, only to find it very difficult to find someone to install them.
Nobody wanted to do the work if they didnít provide the parts.
Quoted reason was due to any possible warranty claim. (Makes Sense)
When I finally found a shop, their price ate up the savings and then some.

If you canít do the job yourself, unless you already have a plan, I recommend that you let the install shop also sell you the gears.

My motto is, any breakage is a perfect opportunity for upgrades.

Best o Luck.
My dad has setup gears in drag cars, and my brother and I would like to learn some...so if possible, we will install ourselves. Finding someone to weld, do gears, or really anything besides change oil around here is kinda tough.

I sorta have a similar motto, the wreck also had made my passenger exhaust out the manifold hit my skid plate...weíve wondered whats allowing it to keep hitting now and thinking about the motor mounts...so i told dad we could put in some new motor mounts, from motech

2010 Silver JKU
post #6 of 8 Old 06-10-2019, 12:37 AM
Wheeler

would it be possible to ask the step by step process of it
post #7 of 8 Old 06-10-2019, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

after having watched multiple installs & shimming of carriers into Jeep housings , I think it has a bunch to do with tools. If you own or can fab or borrow a housing spreader , that is a huge factor in self sufficientcy in this scenario.
You could do it yourself but I sucked up the cost & upgraded when this became necessary for my jku . I took it to WOD & let them plop the OX & Yukon shtuff.
If it were front I'd say just drop an autolocker in there but yeah, I'd go ahead & upgrade if possible.
'Glad you're ok, man . Sorry ,that is lame it occurred but tire hurt no body & itll be behind you by this time next year.

post #8 of 8 Old 06-10-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
after having watched multiple installs & shimming of carriers into Jeep housings , I think it has a bunch to do with tools. If you own or can fab or borrow a housing spreader , that is a huge factor in self sufficientcy in this scenario.
You could do it yourself but I sucked up the cost & upgraded when this became necessary for my jku . I took it to WOD & let them plop the OX & Yukon shtuff.
If it were front I'd say just drop an autolocker in there but yeah, I'd go ahead & upgrade if possible.
'Glad you're ok, man . Sorry ,that is lame it occurred but tire hurt no body & itll be behind you by this time next year.

Yeah i got really lucky in the grand scheme of things, and hey, some upgrades never hurt anyone right?!

We located a housing spreader today and i called Marcus to put in an order for gears and a locker. Here goes nothin!!
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

2010 Silver JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode