Co2 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fklein6768
  • 1 Post By funfred

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-04-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Co2

Has anyone ever heard of someone using a NOS system for a CO2 tire inflation. I canít afford a powertank but find used NOS systems cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-04-2019, 09:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Has anyone ever heard of someone using a NOS system for a CO2 tire inflation. I canít afford a powertank but find used NOS systems cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know some use the tanks/those r inexpensive. Regulator is the $.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
[email protected] likes this.

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #3 of 4 Old 06-04-2019, 11:41 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

There are a few DIY CO2 OBA threads on the googles. Just search the capitalized letters previously mentioned. Looks like some have gotten them setup for around $150. They won't be as aesthetically pleasing as a powertank but it will store and dispense CO2 the same.

Chase Weston
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-04-2019, 11:47 AM
Rock God

The bottle's valves are different between various gasses so there's no cross-filling of bottles. Don't know what valving might match NOS but N, O and CO2 are definitely different.

Check with welding/gas supply retailers and beverage supply retailers. They may have used CO2 bottles for sale with the appropriate valve already installed. (Pick the bottle with the least number of re-certs stamped into it, but it really doesn't matter unless your locale limits the number of re-certs.)

After that, a high-flow regulator with a quick disconnect, some hose with some qds and you're done.

It's still gonna cost ya cuz a good high-flow reg ain't cheap...~$150(?).
If you're airing up oversized tires, you don't want the reg freezing up...defeats the purpose of quick airing. I've never had a freeze up with my PowerTank reg.

Don't forget a regulator-protecting carry handle!

10 and 15 lb bottles are the same diameter when looking for a mounting bracket.
5 lb bottles, quite a bit more manageable, have plenty enough capacity for limited numbers of air ups and still drive an air tool to unwind a set of lug nuts.

I have a 15lb steel bottle and a 5lb aluminum bottle. It's ~$15 to fill the 15 at the local weld shop. They can send 'em out for re-certs and I always get my personally-owned bottles back.

You can also just buy the reg and swap out CO2 bottles with the supplier. It may be ~$20 for a 15lb-er using that route.
Over the years since 2002, I've refilled my 15lb once a year on average but it's main use has been for changing motorcycle race tires, secondary use is busting axles nuts on those race bikes.

As an airing up tool, refills would be dependent on the number of air ups, tire size and down-to-up psi...can't give you figures cuz my tanks get multi-use applications between the odd jobs in the garage (impact gun only - an air ratchet or grinder will bleed the tank empty in no time), bikes, all the other vehicles in the driveway being topped off and, obviously, airing up the JK. My 15lb-er is a PowerTank and, no, it has not paid for itself when weighed against bottle "rental". YMMV.
[email protected] likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode