Drilling knuckles for suspension options?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By thedirtman
  • 1 Post By thedirtman
  • 1 Post By ChuckTheRipper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-27-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Drilling knuckles for suspension options??

15 JK 2dr. AEV 3.5 DS lift old style, on 35's

trying to find a new front end system. while trying to salvage what is still good.

my yeti driver side outer failed twice. my driver side knuckle was damaged and my trusty mechanic missed it. to the naked eye it really doesn't look too reamed, but there's play. my AEV high clearance drag link snapped right off when I was trying to remove it. I guess my former mechanic didn't believe in never seize either. So now I notice the knuckle to my right spindle was drilled and has a sleeve.

was planning on just down grading with all new equipment and try to alleviate my problems. But this will cost me 2 new spindles in the process.

would rather drill out and stay somewhat beefed up with a new drag link\tie rod and damper. Just not familiar with what my options are? and possibly upgrading my control arms, this vehicle is not my daily commuting vehicle anymore, and not by choice Any advice appreciated?

will be contacting AEV tomorrow and see what they advise?

Sorry for making a new thread on a similar post , but I think this is the ave. I'd like to go down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-27-2019, 08:10 AM
JKO Addict!

You can drill out the knuckle to 7/8" and use a tapered sleeve. https://www.barnes4wd.com/Tapered-St...ert_p_510.html
I am not understanding some of your descriptions. What spindle are you referring to? I never use anti-seize on tie rod ends.
ChuckTheRipper likes this.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-27-2019, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

plz explain in simple to understand language
what do you mean by "snapped right off" in correlation to your draglink means, thanks. Also ,plz, what do you mean by " never seize" usage?

Fwiw, & respectfully I swear , that entire paragraph needs some photos like a baseball pitcher needsa ball.

Throw us a bone, dude. TL/TTR
(edit: trust me ; if I'M sayin this to ya, ya might be confusing folks ...just fwiw)

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 05-27-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-27-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
plz explain in simple to understand language
what do you mean by "snapped right off" in correlation to your draglink means, thanks. Also ,plz, what do you mean by " never seize" usage?

Fwiw, & respectfully I swear , that entire paragraph needs some photos like a baseball pitcher needsa ball.

Throw us a bone, dude. TL/TTR
(edit: trust me ; if I'M sayin this to ya, ya might be confusing folks ...just fwiw)

driver side spindle knuckle has play, it actually loosed up, not sure how.
passenger side spindle was drilled and has a sleeve for the AEV high steer drag link
post #5 of 11 Old 05-27-2019, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readytworoll View Post
driver side spindle knuckle has play, it actually loosed up, not sure how.
passenger side spindle was drilled and has a sleeve for the AEV high steer drag link
got it

a good hard curb or impact with the unitbearing not torqued to spec or something could be enough to possibly open the knuckle or maybe deform it. but, damn, that'd be some impact.
Let's say you'd remember such an impact.

Yep, I have a 7/8" Synergy Mfg high-steer sleeve adapting collar for flipping their draglink to up-top of the steering arm off knuckle down in my garage.

I run all Synergy Mfg and Artec links and brackets .
I have had little to no problems with any of those parts and would recommend them to anyone asking about options. .

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 05-27-2019 at 05:26 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-27-2019, 05:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Are you calling the Tie rod end a spindle?
ChuckTheRipper likes this.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #7 of 11 Old 05-27-2019, 08:13 PM
Wheeler

Garage

“Yeti driver side outer failed twice”:
Tie rod end on a yeti tie rod failed twice? And in what way, they make some beefy stuff.

“Driver side knuckle is loose”:
Possibly describing bad ball joints on your knuckles or the ball joint nuts are loose? If you suspect the holes where the ball joints are pressed into or the tapered holes where the ball joint studs go into are reamed out then you could be getting into needing new outer or inner knuckle territory, those are usually rare cases though.

“AEV high clearance drag link snapped right off”:
Believe you’re talking about the bolt for the drag link end that was in your passenger outer knuckle. Some drag links have threaded ends that can be replaced, if not then might be easiest to replace the entire drag link...never seen just the ball joint rebuilt. Can do a little research for a new high steer drag link that will work, you can gauge the hole with a drill bit and compare to install instructions on your brand of choice. Seems that a 7/8” drilled hole with a sleeve is what I’ve seen used on a couple of brands, could be that’s already been done for the AEV high steer drag link.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-27-2019, 10:16 PM
Rock God

FWIW jks do not have spindles, they have unit bearings. So whatever the fuck you’re referring to, please view a parts diagram before replying....
rockystock likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-27-2019, 11:01 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTheRipper View Post
FWIW jks do not have spindles, they have unit bearings. So whatever the fuck you’re referring to, please view a parts diagram before replying....
Exactly. WTF is a spindle...

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 11 Old 05-27-2019, 11:58 PM
Granite Guru

My 71 Z28 had spindles. Bearing seized up and the whole wheel and brake assembly came off. It was horrific.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-28-2019, 08:18 AM
Wheeler

As others said you can get 7/8" sleeves and drill them out. If you're having so many problems with tie rods and drag links you might want to look at other options. Reid or Rancho knuckles will pull the tie rod up above the axle tube limiting damage. If that's not an issue you could run hydro steering to prevent damaging the drag link. Yeti makes a pretty beefy system so if you're still having trouble I'd call them and talk it out.

cadoffroad.com
2014 JKU Freedom Edition Hydro Blue
MC 3.5" Lift
37" Milestar Patagonia Tires
ATX Ravine 17x9 Rims
Barricade (SRC) Roof Rack
Barricade Front Bumper
Smittybilt XRC 12000 Lb Winch
D44 Yukon Zip Locker - 4.56
ARB Locked ProRock44 Front w/ 35 Spline Shafts
LOD Rock Rails
MC Overline Fender Flares
CAD adjustable F/R bump stops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode