99" No Cut Wheelbase Challenge - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By thedirtman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

99" No Cut Wheelbase Challenge

Hey everybody! I'm new to the forum and have seen questions like this thrown around in which folks are willing to cut into the frame of the JK to stretch the wheelbase. For the sake of retaining my Jeep's value, I was wondering how much stretch you're able to do front and back for that sweet sweet 99" wheelbase without cutting into the frame of the Jeep. For the sake of argument, let's say my 2dr has a 3.5" lift.
Thanks for entertaining something that has been discussed to any extent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 12:26 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby Cronnin View Post
Hey everybody! I'm new to the forum and have seen questions like this thrown around in which folks are willing to cut into the frame of the JK to stretch the wheelbase. For the sake of retaining my Jeep's value, I was wondering how much stretch you're able to do front and back for that sweet sweet 99" wheelbase without cutting into the frame of the Jeep. For the sake of argument, let's say my 2dr has a 3.5" lift.
Thanks for entertaining something that has been discussed to any extent!
You can push the rear back an inch, and maybe push the front the better part of an inch, without major surgery. With minor fab., you can push the rear back 2". Realistically, any further than that, and you're making shitty compromises if you don't do some cutting and welding.

I suggest: either push the rear back an inch and don't get hung up on a "magic number", or commit to what wheelbase you want to achieve and develop a comprehensive plan to do so.

Here's what I did, in case that gives you any insight or inspiration: ExWrench's Oddball Mods + Sneaky Stretch

FYI, a 4" rear stretch like I did is the same basic amount of work as an 8" or (pick a number) rear stretch.

Front stretch needs cutting and welding if you're looking to pick up any significant wheelbase change. At that point, just say "fuck it" and commit to never seeing stock again.

In the meantime, wheel the shit out of your 2-door on 35s or 37s, and see if you find any need for chassis changes. I'd guess "no" - these things work pretty well out of the box.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

How much would said fabrications devalue the Jeep? or does it depend on who's buying? I'm not sure yet if I'll keep it for its entire lifetime, although, it is fun enough to have me leaning that direction. My goal would be to have it crawl no problem without sacrificing too much of how the short wheelbase whips. Would <99" be better for what I'm looking for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 01:45 PM
Random Dude

Dude, I cannot stress this enough: if you're considering major modifications but are undecided, go wheel it as it is.

Stop by the Welcome Room thread and intro. yourself, read JKO a bit, ask questions as they arise, and go wheel your junk as it is.

My 2-dr Rubi on stock 32s amazed the shit out of me, coming from an '07 Taco on 33.5s. I went on at least one wheeling trip stock, then put on a 2.5" lift and enjoyed the differences. Swapped 32s for 35s and was amazed again at how capable my Jeep was with only bolt-on modifications.

Now, I'm sitting on a ~100" wheelbase on 37s and that's great for what it is, but part of my enjoyment of my Jeep = doing weird shit nobody's done to see how well it works - usually great, sometimes not so much

If my Jeep was stolen / totaled / gone tomorrow and I was looking to get the most bang for my buck, I'd put a good, complete 2.5" - 3" lift on a 2-door Rubi, gusset the C's, sleeve or truss the front, and go wheel the shit out of it until such time as it becomes glaringly obvious that I need to change something.

I could take the ultimate 99" wheelbase rig and look like a chump by taking a bad line, while some dude in a Samurai on 30s walks up it like magic. Go wheeling - seat time = way more important than a "build sheet" (within reason).

Before you change anything, go enjoy what you already have.
If you change it all before wheeling it, you won't appreciate the changes.

My $.02 ^ - ignore it as you see fit

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #5 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Dude, I cannot stress this enough: if you're considering major modifications but are undecided, go wheel it as it is.

Stop by the Welcome Room thread and intro. yourself, read JKO a bit, ask questions as they arise, and go wheel your junk as it is.

My 2-dr Rubi on stock 32s amazed the shit out of me, coming from an '07 Taco on 33.5s. I went on at least one wheeling trip stock, then put on a 2.5" lift and enjoyed the differences. Swapped 32s for 35s and was amazed again at how capable my Jeep was with only bolt-on modifications.

Now, I'm sitting on a ~100" wheelbase on 37s and that's great for what it is, but part of my enjoyment of my Jeep = doing weird shit nobody's done to see how well it works - usually great, sometimes not so much <a href="https://www.jkowners.com/forum/images/smilies/laughing.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Laughing" >:-)</a>

If my Jeep was stolen / totaled / gone tomorrow and I was looking to get the most bang for my buck, I'd put a good, complete 2.5" - 3" lift on a 2-door Rubi, gusset the C's, sleeve or truss the front, and go wheel the shit out of it until such time as it becomes glaringly obvious that I need to change something.

I could take the ultimate 99" wheelbase rig and look like a chump by taking a bad line, while some dude in a Samurai on 30s walks up it like magic. Go wheeling - seat time = way more important than a "build sheet" (within reason).

Before you change anything, go enjoy what you already have.
If you change it all before wheeling it, you won't appreciate the changes.

My $.02 ^ - ignore it as you see fit <a href="https://www.jkowners.com/forum/images/smilies/laughing.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Laughing" >:-)</a>
Don’t get me wrong my dude, I plan on getting plenty of time behind the wheel before making any major suspension upgrades. Since I’m focused more on creature comfort upgrades, I thought I’d get an idea of where to take it in the future. I work as a server and it takes me a while to save up, so I appreciate the advice!
post #6 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 05:59 PM
JKO Addict!

ONce you cut the frame and body the value drops like a rock. Either keep it forever or give it away cheap. Major hours doing a stretch and don't expect to get a dime back in resale.
ExWrench likes this.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #7 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 06:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Why is 99" a sweet spot? 108-110 is a better target to shoot for or just buy a 4 door and you will already be longer.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #8 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
ONce you cut the frame and body the value drops like a rock. Either keep it forever or give it away cheap. Major hours doing a stretch and don't expect to get a dime back in resale.

^ this.

I was riding around Phoenix last week , seeing stock Jeep JK/JKUs from the years mine is from that were still stock. I whispered to myself, " well, I lost that option to get any return or try to sell the thing, now..." after realizing the 10s of thousands of dollars I have in mine will never be recouped or returned.
I love it, don't get me wrong ! But, when I read your post I had just experience that so thought it might be helpful to mention there's a possibility that heavily modifying it it might make you kinda wish l8r-on that you had just kept it like it was , had some fun it it and bought a beater to cut-up for your buggy.....

post #9 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 10:27 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
^ this.

I was riding around Phoenix last week , seeing stock Jeep JK/JKUs from the years mine is from that were still stock. I whispered to myself, " well, I lost that option to get any return or try to sell the thing, now..." after realizing the 10s of thousands of dollars I have in mine will never be recouped or returned.
I love it, don't get me wrong ! But, when I read your post I had just experience that so thought it might be helpful to mention there's a possibility that heavily modifying it it might make you kinda wish l8r-on that you had just kept it like it was , had some fun it it and bought a beater to cut-up for your buggy.....
If you plan to resell it/trade it in, I wouldn't do anything that cannot be returned to stock. That ship sailed a long time ago for me, now I don't even think about the money spent versus the "sellable" value. I look at the money I've spent on it as an investment to my hobby/sport and memories/experiences rather than any actual ROI. Some parts are more like consumables for the sport at this point.

If you do decide the jeep will stay with you, I think most all of us can attest to the invaluable experiences and memories it can provide.

Chase Weston
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode