Sprintex is not CARB legal! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 05-14-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
j0n
Wheeler

Sprintex is not CARB legal!

I had to get the state of California involved to go after Sprintex. Their tune does not work for certain models of the 2012-2018 Jeep JK. The fuel system monitoring is set to "not ready" with their tune, this causes it to fail California emissions. Do not buy this product if you live in California, you will not pass smog.

I have an open complaint with the state of California to enforce them to build a tune that is smog legal. Until that happens, stay away from Sprintex if you require California emissions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 05-14-2019, 08:14 PM
Vaporware jeep

Feel better now?
post #3 of 41 Old 05-14-2019, 08:26 PM
Rock God

How do you like the supercharger? I've been considering making the terrible decision of supercharging my 3.6L. How loud is it? Does it make good boost in the 2500-3000RPM range in your opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 05-14-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
j0n
Wheeler

The supercharger has been great. Overall I have been very pleased with the product. What I have not been pleased with is their lack of concern to resolve this issue. Not being able to register your vehicle is pretty nerve racking...especially when you paid a premium to be 50 state compliant.

Sprintex actually recommended for me to load a stock Chrysler tune, drive it to a dealer, then pay to have the stock firmware updated. Next I was to load their supercharger tune. Sprintex could not guarantee that if I updated the stock Chrysler tune that their custom tune would work. This would leave me in a failed state. Their instructions state that running the supercharger without their tune will cause engine failure, so I have conflicting advice.

:\
post #5 of 41 Old 05-15-2019, 03:34 AM
Rock God

Doesn't surprise me. I ran a Sprintex for a few years and was a beta tester for Diablo tunes. NEVER got a tune that worked right, and I must have tried 20+ tunes. The amount of time and frustration for a negligible amount of HP increase was not worth it.

LS3 2007 JKU X - Red Rock, 2012 JKU Rubicon - Deep Cherry Red, 2001 TJ - Black
post #6 of 41 Old 05-15-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
j0n
Wheeler

That's disappointing to read. The last bit of communication I received from them was that this would take a bit of effort to resolve.

While Sprintex is fumbling with a CARB tune, I'm risking getting a ticket because I'm out of smog compliance. Oh well, I have the state on my side. They are legally bound to fix the issue or offer me a full refund.
post #7 of 41 Old 05-15-2019, 09:58 PM
JKO Addict!

never run the stock tune with the blower on there. you will kill the motor with detonation.

you would have to pull the blower and put the stock injectors back on etc. to load the stock tune and go to the dealer.

my diablosport trinity with the latest updates will update the stock firmware on the jeep. it will change the PCM code so if you have a custom tune written to the PCM, it will need to be updated too.
post #8 of 41 Old 05-16-2019, 03:37 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0n View Post
That's disappointing to read. The last bit of communication I received from them was that this would take a bit of effort to resolve.

While Sprintex is fumbling with a CARB tune, I'm risking getting a ticket because I'm out of smog compliance. Oh well, I have the state on my side. They are legally bound to fix the issue or offer me a full refund.
My advice to you is to pull the entire system off and sell it.

post #9 of 41 Old 05-16-2019, 05:53 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

This may be a dumb question but is the "not ready" written into the tune? or can you trick the system with resistors? I'm not well versed in the CARB requirements but if its a function of the EVAP system working as designed, you can temporarily put a resistor in your fuel level signal and make the the computer read it as full. IIRC the computer does not continuously monitor the EVAP performance, rather it sends a test out at a couple fuel level targets. I have a fuel cell, deleted evap system, and a ripp supercharger and I have no CEL.

Obviously not ideal as you paid for a product that is marketed to have no issues passing your states regulations. Just may be something to think about to maybe get it to pass. Disclaimer: I do not not know the legal ramifications of doing this so do so at your own risk.

I live in FL and I don't even know how emissions testing goes. You just need brake lights, headlights, turn signals and a license plate to be "street legal" and not messed with down here..

Chase Weston
post #10 of 41 Old 05-16-2019, 07:01 AM
Vaporware jeep

In CA, all monitors for your vehicle must be in a ready state for the smog check to even begin. They don’t allow any monitors to not be in a ready state like some other states.

Question for the OP - can you run the stock / factory settings long enough to drive to the smog shop?

Edit - for some reason I didn’t see White13fancypantsJKURLGBTBBQ’s comment about detonation

Last edited by snout; 05-16-2019 at 12:24 PM.
post #11 of 41 Old 05-16-2019, 07:37 AM
Rock God

You could try talking to a VW engineer!

post #12 of 41 Old 05-16-2019, 07:59 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipewa View Post
You could try talking to a VW engineer!
This is also a viable option, seems they may have some tips and tricks for this case.

Chase Weston
post #13 of 41 Old 05-16-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
j0n
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipewa View Post
My advice to you is to pull the entire system off and sell it.
I'm better off having Sprintex refund me for 100% of the cost than to sell it for less.
post #14 of 41 Old 05-16-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
j0n
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
never run the stock tune with the blower on there. you will kill the motor with detonation.

you would have to pull the blower and put the stock injectors back on etc. to load the stock tune and go to the dealer.

my diablosport trinity with the latest updates will update the stock firmware on the jeep. it will change the PCM code so if you have a custom tune written to the PCM, it will need to be updated too.
Diablo has not updated their base tune with Chrysler's latest firmware. The only workaround is to have the base tune updated by either diablosport or Sprintex. Both are pointing fingers at each other.

Once I filed a case with the California Air Resource board, Sprintex is now trying to fix the issue. They have two options according to the California Air Resource Board. If they do not fix the issue, they are legally bound to buy back the supercharger at full retail.
This is for all superchargers claiming to be CARB legal sold in California. We'll see if they fix it or offer a full refund for all superchargers that they have sold in California claiming to be CARB certified.

My tax dollars at work!!!
post #15 of 41 Old 05-16-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
j0n
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
In CA, all monitors for your vehicle must be in a ready state for the smog check to even begin. They don’t allow any monitors to not be in a ready state like some other states.

Question for the OP - can you run the stock / factory settings long enough to drive to the smog shop?

Edit - for some reason I didn’t see White13fancypantsJKURLGBTBBQ’s comment about detonation
No, running the supercharger without the tune will destroy my engine. Sprintex cannot even guarantee that once the factory tune is updated whether the Jeep will even run with the Sprintex tune.
post #16 of 41 Old 05-16-2019, 03:49 PM
Vaporware jeep

Quote:
No, running the supercharger without the tune will destroy my engine. Sprintex cannot even guarantee that once the factory tune is updated whether the Jeep will even run with the Sprintex tune.
Did the ARB offer to referee the config?
post #17 of 41 Old 05-16-2019, 04:51 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:

Quick look on their website...http://sprintexusa.com/sales_sheets/...ales_sheet.pdf

"]C.A.R.B.approval in progress.

Yet here they have a CARB Number...Sprintex Superchargers 50 State Legal

We are happy to announce that Sprintex Superchargers are legal for sale in all 50 States, to include California on select vehicles under CARB executive order D-695-1.

The way the 2nd quote is worded, is that some of the vehicles that they have superchargers for, have a CARB number, hence approved. The rest haven't been approved yet. Hence the 1st quote that the CARB approval is in progress, it hasn't been completed/accepted and your SOL for now.

So the question is, if you put the tune back to stock, will it still run. Depends.
1. Did you have to change injectors?
2. Since it is a roots style blower, is it possible to drive WITHOUT going into boost (even if you hold the BOV wide open).

Answer those two questions and we can proceed from there...
coilrod likes this.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #18 of 41 Old 05-16-2019, 06:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I had to get the state of California involved to go after Sprintex. Their tune does not work for certain models of the 2012-2018 Jeep JK. The fuel system monitoring is set to "not ready" with their tune, this causes it to fail California emissions. Do not buy this product if you live in California, you will not pass smog.

I have an open complaint with the state of California to enforce them to build a tune that is smog legal. Until that happens, stay away from Sprintex if you require California emissions.
I never bothered checking my readiness monitors after installing the Edelbrock supercharger. I've been through all that nonsense before on a completely stock car and if the readiness monitors are not all clear then it won't pass and you pay anyway.

After reading this thread, I thought I would go check. I might be in the same boat. I am seeing the exact same thing.

That's a fail. EO number or no EO number.

post #19 of 41 Old 05-17-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
j0n
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
I never bothered checking my readiness monitors after installing the Edelbrock supercharger. I've been through all that nonsense before on a completely stock car and if the readiness monitors are not all clear then it won't pass and you pay anyway.

After reading this thread, I thought I would go check. I might be in the same boat. I am seeing the exact same thing.

That's a fail. EO number or no EO number.

I have had a couple of people ask me where to file a complaint with the California Air Resource Board.
Here is their information for those who are interested.

(800) 242-4450
[email protected]
White13JKUR likes this.
post #20 of 41 Old 05-21-2019, 07:52 AM
Wheeler

Have you run through a couple drive cycles properly trying to get to a ready state?

I always have my Jeep apart or battery disconnected for welding and use the cycle to get to a ready state. I run a RIPP and have never had an issue:

All Monitor Drive Trace
Idle for 5 minutes
Warm engine up for five minutes
Smoothly acceerate and maintain a speed between 40 to 60 mph for 8 minutes.
Stop and idle for 3 minutes.
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed above 20 mph for 2 minutes.
Turn key off, leave off for ten minutes

Catalyst Monitor Drive Trace
Idle for 5 minutes
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed between 30 to 45 mph for 2 minutes.

EGR System Monitor Drive Trace – Vacuum controlled
Idle for 5 minutes
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed between 40 to 60 mph for 2 minutes.

EGR System Monitor Drive Trace – Electronic
Idle for 5 minutes
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed between 40 to 60 mph for 2 minutes.
Idle for 3 minutes

Evaporative System Monitor Drive Trace
Trace 1: Standard Type – Make sure that your fuel level is between 50% and 85% full.
Idle for 5 minutes
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed between 30 to 45 mph for 2 minutes.

Trace 2: Leak Detection Pump
From 6-8 hours of the vehicle being off (cold soak), idle for 5 minutes
Drive in city traffic naturally with stops and acceleration for 5 minutes.
Stop. Idle vehicle for 4 minutes.

O2 Sensor Monitor Drive Trace
Idle for 5 minutes
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed above 25 mph for 2 minutes.
Stop and idle for 30 seconds.
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed between 30 to 40 mph
Repeat idle and acceleration to 30-40 mph five times.

O2 Sensor Heater Monitor Drive Trace
Idle for 5 minutes, then shut the engine and leave the vehicle off for 10 minutes.
post #21 of 41 Old 05-21-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
j0n
Wheeler

Yes I followed the drive cycle to get the monitors ready. I found out that there is another 2012 Jeep Wrangler with the Sprintex supercharger complaining about the same issue back in 2017. The service advisor at a Jeep dealership reported it to Diablosport. Neither of the vendors have done anything to resolve it.

I did receive a notification from Diablosport that they are now working on this issue. Once Diablosport updates their base tune, Sprintex will have to update theirs. Hopefully I'll pass emissions after that
post #22 of 41 Old 05-22-2019, 07:40 AM
Wheeler

Its good to hear you've made some progress. What gearing and tire size do you have? If your local in SoCal I'd be interested in taking a ride when you get this all worked out. I'd like to feel the power difference. I've been eyeing the sprintex, but wont touch it until I see you pass smog, I'm in Anaheim.
post #23 of 41 Old 05-23-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
j0n
Wheeler

I'm running the stock Rubicon gears (4.10) with a 6 speed manual. The gearing seems to be a good match with the supercharger, 35's, and factory gears. It's a lot of fun to drive.
post #24 of 41 Old 06-01-2019, 09:59 AM
Wheeler

Any updates?
post #25 of 41 Old 06-01-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
j0n
Wheeler

Nothing yet, I'm waiting for Sprintex to send me an updated tune. I believe Diablosport has sent the updated file to Sprintex. From there, Sprintex has to update their tables for the changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode