Stripped ring gear bolt on carrier - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 05-12-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Stripped ring gear bolt on carrier

So I was putting the ring gear on after installing my locker and tightening up all the bolts on a vise. This one had to be less than 50 ft Ib when it stripped. I have no clue what to do. Please help pls. The rest all got to 80 ft ib just fine. Helicoil maybe? I have no clue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-12-2019, 06:26 PM
Rock God

So the thread in the gear itself stripped out? You'd probably need a new gear, I don't think I'd try to helicoil a gear but maybe someone more experienced in repair work will say it's fine.

What's the source of the bolt? Was it a brand new bolt included with the gear kit? If so I'd think they should send you new parts. Only way I can see this happening is if either the gear wasn't hardened properly, or the bolt was bad. Of course you'll have to convince the manufacturer that you didn't just break the parts due to operator error of installation, which may be easy or hard depending on the company.
post #3 of 27 Old 05-12-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

You know the bolts on the carrier holding the ring gear? One of those is stripped inside the ring gear carrier. It's the factory carrier and ring gear/bolts/everything. I just bought jbweld. Don't know what else I can do on the cheap. After reading lots of other threads, it looks like it's fairly rare for a bolt to cause lots of damage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 05-13-2019, 03:25 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercell View Post
You know the bolts on the carrier holding the ring gear? One of those is stripped inside the ring gear carrier. It's the factory carrier and ring gear/bolts/everything. I just bought jbweld. Don't know what else I can do on the cheap. After reading lots of other threads, it looks like it's fairly rare for a bolt to cause lots of damage
The bolts thread into the gear, not the carrier. What threads did you strip in the carrier?

Are you sure it’s not the bolt that’s stripped, rather than the threads in the gear? Maybe you just need a new bolt. Any pictures?

Last edited by BigTB; 05-13-2019 at 03:28 AM.
post #5 of 27 Old 05-13-2019, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

it wouls take a very-well equipped shop to have a lath or cnc that was capable of trying to make any change to the metal used on a ring gear.

If you've stripped or misthreaded the hole and sheared one of the ring gear bolts you might could tack weld another to that for gaining leverage to extract but either way it sounds like you need one of two things, a new carrier or a new ring gear. The metal of the ring gear is almost too hard to do anything to, from my experience . Just widening the holes to accept larger bolts can take multiple cutter heads ....man would a picture link help in this instance !

edit: you mean the bolts pictured holding on this gear,right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 05-13-2019 at 05:25 AM.
post #6 of 27 Old 05-13-2019, 10:57 AM
Rock God

Iíve always heard that a helicoil is stronger than most original threads but Iím with others here, I doubt that you could successfully install one on the ring gear.

I easily could be very wrong though.
post #7 of 27 Old 05-13-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yea the threads in the ring gear my bad
post #8 of 27 Old 05-13-2019, 02:52 PM
Random Dude

Those should be pretty hard threads. Did they pull out straight out and come out intact on the bolt like a fake Helicoil?

Or was there a burr / smashed thread / cross threaded situation that caused the hole threads to be destroyed during assembly?

Not judging or talking shit, just trying to understand the specific failure mode.

Pics would help if possible.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #9 of 27 Old 05-13-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I already put it back in the housing. Looks shoddy af. I just jb welded around the bolt that was stripped. Doesnt let me upload a pic
post #10 of 27 Old 05-13-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I didn't even attempt to take the bolt out.
post #11 of 27 Old 05-13-2019, 04:41 PM
Random Dude

Without more information I can provide no productive feedback as to how best to repair the compromised threads.

If you're running that 1 bolt as (effectively) a dowel pin, consider chipping off the epoxy and putting a ~1/4" tack weld.

Between heat cycling, flexing, and a full-time bath of gear oil, I'd expect the JB weld to retire at some inopportune moment.

With a good tack weld, you won't have to fear the bolt backing out and causing an FOD-based failure of other parts.

Either way, I hope it holds together for you

The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

post #12 of 27 Old 05-13-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Appreciate the info. I'm gonna have my axle welded up here soon, so I think i can open it up then and get it tack welded.
post #13 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 01:07 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Without more information I can provide no productive feedback as to how best to repair the compromised threads.

If you're running that 1 bolt as (effectively) a dowel pin, consider chipping off the epoxy and putting a ~1/4" tack weld.

Between heat cycling, flexing, and a full-time bath of gear oil, I'd expect the JB weld to retire at some inopportune moment.

With a good tack weld, you won't have to fear the bolt backing out and causing an FOD-based failure of other parts.

Either way, I hope it holds together for you
x2

The lack of a picture is stifling.

Did the bolt head snap off?
Or is the bolt thread spinning freely within the ring gear threads?

Looks like it doesn't matter because shit is all closed up.

I wouldn't weld shit to the ring gear. Blob of shitty weld that probably won't even penetrate the metal of that ring gear before a grade 8 bolt would fucking liquefy. Even a good tack. Then you have a marble of metal that might tear something up.

SMH
post #14 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 08:21 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggy View Post
x2

The lack of a picture is stifling.

Did the bolt head snap off?
Or is the bolt thread spinning freely within the ring gear threads?

Looks like it doesn't matter because shit is all closed up.

I wouldn't weld shit to the ring gear. Blob of shitty weld that probably won't even penetrate the metal of that ring gear before a grade 8 bolt would fucking liquefy. Even a good tack. Then you have a marble of metal that might tear something up.

SMH
Yeah, let me clarify something: I'm not suggesting that a different hack fix is preferable to a legit fix.

Personally, I'd bite the bullet, pull it all apart, and repair or replace the damaged threads + bolt. R&R R&P, or at the least machine + install a thread repair insert (helicoil, timesert, keensert, . . . something capable of holding up to 120+% of nominal torque).

post #15 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Pic upload fails every time I try. http://imgur.com/a/VoI3KVp the bolt is all the way in. Before the jbweld it spun freely at maybe a few foot pounds.

Last edited by supercell; 05-14-2019 at 09:37 AM.
post #16 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 09:34 AM
Random Dude

I think JKO requires 10 posts before you can upload a pic.
(not sure, but I believe they did that a year or 2 ago )

Put another reply in this thread, then try again.

post #17 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The imgur link should work
Edit: still can't upload lel
post #18 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 09:45 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
The imgur link should work
Edit: still can't upload lel
Huh, I thought 10 was the magic number.
You should be good to go

Try posting it again, or type out the imgur link, and I'll link it for you.

post #19 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

h t t p : / / imgur . c o m/a/VoI3KVp
post #20 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 10:04 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
http://imgur.com/a/VoI3KVp
I went to the page you linked, opened the image, and put the image address below in IMG tags.

Do you have a pic of the threads disassembled?
That would help determine what's fooked and how.

post #21 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 01:39 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

That's the rear axle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #22 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Yeah, let me clarify something: I'm not suggesting that a different hack fix is preferable to a legit fix.

Personally, I'd bite the bullet, pull it all apart, and repair or replace the damaged threads + bolt. R&R R&P, or at the least machine + install a thread repair insert (helicoil, timesert, keensert, . . . something capable of holding up to 120+% of nominal torque).

or, since hardened ringgears are not that accepting of heliocoils
and they can't be welded to real well for this situation , together with not being able to extract this particular ring gear bolt ... considering that these things aren't outrageously expensivee, I'd probably just replace it (unless we are trying to avoid doing it all over again or something) .

post #23 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Pic upload fails every time I try. http://imgur.com/a/VoI3KVp the bolt is all the way in. Before the jbweld it spun freely at maybe a few foot pounds.

you're not doing it right. Why would the image attachment option - which is looking for a .jpg or .png or .tif file - accept that imgur image share link?

You need to understand how imgur works to know that you seek what's called a ' Direct Link' that will have a file suffix after it ...

The mobile app doesn't make the sharing links as varied as when you access the site thru a desktop web browser,if that helps ....

People make this so hard.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 05-14-2019 at 03:45 PM.
post #24 of 27 Old 05-15-2019, 01:04 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:

Honestly, Iíd go back in there and do a new ring gear. Clean up that jb weld off the carrier.

I donít get how on earth those threads stripped. Perhaps a machining defect? Machine tooling can go dull/bad and they didnít switch out until they made the ring gear after yours?!? Just a wild guess.

I assume all re-threading options were exhausted?
post #25 of 27 Old 05-15-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sorry I made it so hard as I was doing it all on mobile. I drove 250 miles going 80mph and it held up great. Changing diff fluid again. I'm just gonna keep it as it is for now since money is tight and yea I don't wanna do this all over again. This whole process was a pain. It's on the front d30 and the bolts were 10 years old. Maybe if I got a master install kit it would have been fine. idk why else master install kits would include new bolts.

and j3ff3ry I never tried attaching an imgur link xd. I just uploaded to imgur and linked it after finding out attaching from my camera roll didn't work

Last edited by supercell; 05-15-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode