Poison Spyder Rear Flare Fit Issue - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-09-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Poison Spyder Rear Flare Fit Issue

A fellow club member asked me to help him install a new set of Poison Spyder aluminum flares. When we set the rears up into position we discovered a wide gap, maybe 3/8", at the arch at the front of the wheelhouse. Same on both sides. It's very doubtful this will close up much, if at all, when the flares are tightened down, and over torquing will spin the rivnuts. Anyone else with the PSC flares encounter this issue?
Attached Images

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-09-2019, 03:27 PM
Wheeler

Garage

the smitty bilts that came on my jk are similar i just assume its normal across the board

dont mind me im just a new guy here
post #3 of 9 Old 05-09-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blank123003 View Post
the smitty bilts that came on my jk are similar i just assume its normal across the board
Well, he paid for a lot more than the Smittys. He contacted Poison Spyder and essentially got blown off. He bought them in bare aluminum and has paid for them to be powder coated, so he can't return. Sucks what he's got on his hands, I expected a lot more from Poison Spyder. My Nemesis flares fit perfectly.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-09-2019, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

yeah, the Nemesis Industries wares will spoil you in the fitment.

It's tough to see if it is the same gap as is visible in this generic PS rear fender image versus yours, but there is an obvious gap,even in generic catalog images of the PS rear flares:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-10-2019, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

That’s not the gap he’s having issue with. The gap is between the flat surface of the body where the old flare attached and the mounting plate for the Poison Spyder flare. It’s flush from the rear around to the forward mounting surface, then there’s a big gap, then it’s flush at the bottom front. It’s like their template is bent, but both rears are roughly the same.

Last edited by SoK66; 05-10-2019 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Remove character added by iPhone
post #6 of 9 Old 05-10-2019, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

BTW, sorry for the goofy "Â" character. The Forum adds that when I respond from my iPhone.

Last edited by SoK66; 05-10-2019 at 06:32 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-10-2019, 07:51 PM
Rock God

I can’t contribute anything of value concerning the PS fenders, sorry.

I do feel compelled to say this however. I just installed some MetalCloak “hard line” aluminum fenders. “Fit” was almost perfect.

I had mine painted at a body shop to match my rig, the finish wasn’t perfect and could be touched up with a little more prep but I told the guy to just do a good paint job.

I’m happy with them.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-11-2019, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Yes, I did Nemesis Odyssey flares and would say the fit was perfect. There's nothing tricky about that rear fender seating surface, seems to me it was relatively flat all around. He contacted Poison Spyder again and they convinced him to try installing them. We'll have to see.

Last edited by SoK66; 05-11-2019 at 05:46 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-11-2019, 06:49 AM
Rock God

PSC fender...only issue is if I wanted to switch brands. I doubt the template for the mounting holes are the same between brands.
No idea why the pic loaded sideways.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode