BENT SWAY BAR: REPLACEMENT NEEDED - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ExWrench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-08-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

BENT SWAY BAR: REPLACEMENT NEEDED

While on the rock portion of the 3rd level course at Jeep Blessing 2019 in Mesick, MI last weekend, I slipped off a rock and came down on my driver side sway bar connector. The result was an obliterated connector and a 30-40 degree torsion (clockwise from the left view) on the driver side of the sway bar. (pictures at this site => dropbox.com/sh/pu84z4t34gd8qe5/AACa0BQaXjJfiwt6gjdlA48sa?dl=0

Given that I have a 2008 JKU Rubicon with electronic sway bar disconnect, I’d like to keep that option rather than switch to a antirock system.

I am unable to locate a replacement sway bar WITHOUT THE ACTUATOR and most online part sites only show the whole mechanism sold together (>$1,500).
(see diagram => quadratec.com/parts/jeep-wrangler-jk-front-stabilizer-bar-parts ... #11)

Here are my questions:
1) Does anyone know where I can find just the bar that I can replace mine with (while using my current actuator)
2) Is it possible to remove the mechanism and try to “re-bend” the torsion back to a workable position? .. and if I do this will it compromise function and/or safety?

Any suggestions/tips/advice are greatly welcomed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-10-2019, 10:56 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CITRON33 View Post
While on the rock portion of the 3rd level course at Jeep Blessing 2019 in Mesick, MI last weekend, I slipped off a rock and came down on my driver side sway bar connector. The result was an obliterated connector and a 30-40 degree torsion (clockwise from the left view) on the driver side of the sway bar. (pictures at this site => dropbox.com/sh/pu84z4t34gd8qe5/AACa0BQaXjJfiwt6gjdlA48sa?dl=0

Given that I have a 2008 JKU Rubicon with electronic sway bar disconnect, I’d like to keep that option rather than switch to a antirock system.

I am unable to locate a replacement sway bar WITHOUT THE ACTUATOR and most online part sites only show the whole mechanism sold together (>$1,500).
(see diagram => quadratec.com/parts/jeep-wrangler-jk-front-stabilizer-bar-parts ... #11)

Here are my questions:
1) Does anyone know where I can find just the bar that I can replace mine with (while using my current actuator)
2) Is it possible to remove the mechanism and try to “re-bend” the torsion back to a workable position? .. and if I do this will it compromise function and/or safety?

Any suggestions/tips/advice are greatly welcomed!
Looks to me like you just bent the sway bar link. Just buy a new link. Stock should be pretty cheap, or just get an adjustable aftermarket link.

That is assuming the sway bar itself isn't damaged, can't really tell in the pictures. Most likely the sway bar is fine and it's just the link.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-10-2019, 11:43 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
Looks to me like you just bent the sway bar link. Just buy a new link. Stock should be pretty cheap, or just get an adjustable aftermarket link.

That is assuming the sway bar itself isn't damaged, can't really tell in the pictures. Most likely the sway bar is fine and it's just the link.
Yep, this^.

If you think your sway bar is ~30 degrees off, that's probably how the disconnect was indexed when you deactivated it. Actuate the electronic disconnect and it should all line back up.

Buy new end link, straighten out tab on axle housing, and reassemble (with disconnect actuated) - should be good to go for small cash and a bit of fiddling around.
rockystock likes this.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode