Evo double down - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 Old 04-25-2019, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Evo double down

Hey everyone I'm new to this site so if this has been reviewed I apologize in advance. I am currently looking at the EVO mfg. 3 inch double down long arm lift kit for my 14 jk 2 door. Is anyone running this kit or seen this kit used in person and if so what is your thoughts or opinions. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 04-25-2019, 05:59 AM
JKO Addict!

It's an alright kit and kinda pricey for what it is. IMO they set it up with too little up travel in the system. If you do any real high speed off road you will be constantly hitting your bumps. To make it work like it should you should be more at a height of 5" of lift and run higher coil rates. This will give your shocks the room to work and not just ride along in the bump zone of the bypass shocks, but will also make the on road ride stiff and jarring. If you are not doing high speed dessert running you are just wasting your money on the double throw down. You should also spend some time with someone that knows what they are doing to do some tuning and dial in the shocks. I have done some tuning on the kit that was installed by EVO and the owner could not believe how much better it rode after tuning. Most people that buy this kit have no idea what they are doing when it comes to setting up coil overs and bypasses and just run it for looks.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 56 Old 04-25-2019, 11:10 AM
Wheeler

I just finished installing the double throwdown, lever and high clearance arms. It is very involved, not very good instructions and I would say that just cycling the components through their movements there seems to be a lot of binding and running bushings to their limits.

Initial thoughts with driving it:

Ride quality is ok out of the box, better than the cheap lift that I took off the Jeep. I will be spending time with a suspension tuner once I get the other bugs worked out.

I was very disappointed with the toy bypass shocks that come with the lever. I now know there is a 2.5 upgrade available. I’ll give these a shot, but believe I will be changing them out once I get a little tuning done.

I’m going to have to change springs at least in the rear. If I run any preload whatsoever the rear end will have about 8” of up travel and sit too high.

The suspension acts very funny when trying to brake torque. It doesn’t stay flat at all.

At this point if I were to do it over again, I would probably not use EVO. I was looking for the best kit I could put on myself without getting into trial and error learning of custom suspension. Not sure who I would go with, but I feel that too many sacrifices are built into this suspension due to working around a lot of stock limitations (axles, track bars, fuel tank).

Time will tell if my opinion changes. Like I said I am still working out bugs. I made a lot of changes at once. L86/8L90/Atlas Dana 60’s DTD, Lever, long arms, 40’s, hydro assist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 Old 04-25-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for the input. It helps. I wasnt planning on running the coil over system, they offer a standard coil system also. I am currently running the Teraflex 2.5 basic spring lift with the vss shocks. I want to upgrade to a long arm system and was just looking at different options. I want to keep the center of gravity low.
post #5 of 56 Old 04-26-2019, 05:07 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejburton View Post
Hey everyone I'm new to this site so if this has been reviewed I apologize in advance. I am currently looking at the EVO mfg. 3 inch double down long arm lift kit for my 14 jk 2 door. Is anyone running this kit or seen this kit used in person and if so what is your thoughts or opinions. Thank you
I have ran the regular EVO long arm kit and now I have the high clearance long arm kit. Do I like it? Yeah it does fine for what I do. Is it the best setup out there? Probably not. I have not been in a Jeep with other long arm setups. For drivability you wouldn't go with the high clearance kit as it puts the rear arms at a steeper angle. I did the high clearance on my second JK because I didn't want the brackets hanging lower than the frame; I wanted the clearance to help get over ledges and big rocks. I run coils. I ran the EVO plush rides with Bilstein 5100s for a long time. I now run king shocks with the evo springs in front and metalcloak in the rear. My rear evo springs were sagging so I got metalcloak recently. But to answer your question, yes it's a good kit, quality arms and joints, and you should like the ride on road and it will do great offroad. Good luck sir.

18 JKU Granite Crystal- 4"lift, 40s, UD60s
07 Red Rock Crystal JKU - Sold
post #6 of 56 Old 04-26-2019, 05:31 AM
JKO Addict!

IF you are looking at the lever, it has a massive amount of rear steer. We measured like 10" of axle shift with that kit that we installed.
I just got done re-doing a standard EVO coil over kit and reused the shocks. We kept the front bolt on but did a double triangulated rear and did a fusion 4x4 ton swap at the same time. I would not recommend the EVO coil over kit as the rear uses an 11" travel shock if you think you may do something different in the future. I would also look at Accutune as they have a good coil over kit and they do custom tunes for your rig not the generic tune EVO does for every JK.
Where are you located at? Also with you wanting a LCOG build what tire size are y ou planning on running?

Some build info here:

post #7 of 56 Old 04-26-2019, 06:44 AM
Wheeler

The lever is only a shock/spring replacement and will have no affect on the axle placement other than up/down. What arms were used when you measured that 10” of axle shift?

I think I will ultimately end up ditching the high clearance long arms for something that has better attitude, but I want to spend some time tuning it before I move on to that step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
IF you are looking at the lever, it has a massive amount of rear steer. We measured like 10" of axle shift with that kit that we installed.
I just got done re-doing a standard EVO coil over kit and reused the shocks. We kept the front bolt on but did a double triangulated rear and did a fusion 4x4 ton swap at the same time. I would not recommend the EVO coil over kit as the rear uses an 11" travel shock if you think you may do something different in the future. I would also look at Accutune as they have a good coil over kit and they do custom tunes for your rig not the generic tune EVO does for every JK.
Where are you located at? Also with you wanting a LCOG build what tire size are y ou planning on running?
post #8 of 56 Old 04-26-2019, 07:06 PM
JKO Addict!

EVO arms, the measurements were from full stuff to full droop.

Some build info here:

post #9 of 56 Old 04-26-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Thedirtman I plan on sticking with 35's for now since i still have the stock Dana 30 and the crappy 3.21 gears. I do hope to upgrade this in the near future but they work for now. As for the type of trails I do I dont think coil overs will be necessary.
post #10 of 56 Old 04-26-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Redrock I appreciate the input after some of the reviews I've read i may be looking toward Rock Crawler or just sticking with Teraflex and doing their Long arm upgrade since I am already running their springs
post #11 of 56 Old 04-26-2019, 09:58 PM
JKO Addict!

I would not recommend rock krawler at all. I would use rough country before them. The Teraflex geometry is terrible. Very short upper arms.
coilrod likes this.

Some build info here:

post #12 of 56 Old 04-27-2019, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I would not recommend rock krawler at all. I would use rough country before them. The Teraflex geometry is terrible. Very short upper arms.
Why would you not go with Rock Krawler I've read good thing about them?
post #13 of 56 Old 04-27-2019, 07:22 AM
JKO Addict!

You read a lot of hype about them. They really push the marketing on the forums and social media. In truth their products over the years have had many issues and redesigns. They push that their kits are upgradeable, which any lit is but people think it is something special. Their kits are overly heavy and add more weight than other comparable kits. From the kits I have installed the fit and finish of RK is sub par and the off road ride in RK equipped JK's is jarring. I have installed just about every brand of lift kit out there and can tell you RK is a lower end kit with a high end marketing program and price.

Some build info here:

post #14 of 56 Old 04-27-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You read a lot of hype about them. They really push the marketing on the forums and social media. In truth their products over the years have had many issues and redesigns. They push that their kits are upgradeable, which any lit is but people think it is something special. Their kits are overly heavy and add more weight than other comparable kits. From the kits I have installed the fit and finish of RK is sub par and the off road ride in RK equipped JK's is jarring. I have installed just about every brand of lift kit out there and can tell you RK is a lower end kit with a high end marketing program and price.
So if you had to choose a 2.5 - 3inch long arm Kit with coil springs for moderate wheeling and a daily driver what do you suggest?
post #15 of 56 Old 04-27-2019, 06:50 PM
Granite Guru

With mild wheeling in mind, a long arm kit is unneccessary.
rockystock and garin like this.
post #16 of 56 Old 04-28-2019, 08:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Personally the only long arm kit out there that is worth a shit is the Genright and it is stupid expensive. You are not going to see much gain at all by doing a long arm kit that is offered today because there are too many limitations on the JK without hacking it up and moving the fuel tank on the rear and up front most kits are only a couple inches longer the the factory arms. IF you want a great set up for a daily driver and wheeling look at Metal Cloak or Synergy, they both have options in your lift height and use a good joint that gives superior ride quality vs the ball and socket type. If you don't like those then I would look into genright, EVO, Currie, Clayton, JKS. Learn what's in a lift kit and what you need for the height and tire size you are looking at.
White13JKUR likes this.

Some build info here:

post #17 of 56 Old 04-28-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Personally the only long arm kit out there that is worth a shit is the Genright and it is stupid expensive. You are not going to see much gain at all by doing a long arm kit that is offered today because there are too many limitations on the JK without hacking it up and moving the fuel tank on the rear and up front most kits are only a couple inches longer the the factory arms. IF you want a great set up for a daily driver and wheeling look at Metal Cloak or Synergy, they both have options in your lift height and use a good joint that gives superior ride quality vs the ball and socket type. If you don't like those then I would look into genright, EVO, Currie, Clayton, JKS. Learn what's in a lift kit and what you need for the height and tire size you are looking at.
Thank you. I appreciate the input. You have been very helpful
kjeeper10 likes this.
post #18 of 56 Old 04-28-2019, 10:31 AM
Rock God

Hows the geometry design of the Synergy or Metalcloak long arm kit compare to other brands?
Ive always been a big fan of Synergy products.

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #19 of 56 Old 04-28-2019, 02:22 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Thank you. I appreciate the input. You have been very helpful
I will second dirtman on metalcloak. When anybody asks me about lifts for their jk I steer them to a metalcloak game changer rocksport version. Its a 100% bolt on suspension that anybody can install in their driveway without any drama. While I am happy with my rockkrawlerish 3 link long arm (I use their frame side mounts), the metalcloak kit would have gotten me 90% there.
post #20 of 56 Old 04-28-2019, 06:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85xlt View Post
Hows the geometry design of the Synergy or Metalcloak long arm kit compare to other brands?
Ive always been a big fan of Synergy products.
Not great. The metal cloak is a radius front set up and the synergy hangs the lower rear brackets off the bottom of the frame. It'd tough to do with everything that is in the way on the JK.

Some build info here:

post #21 of 56 Old 04-28-2019, 08:17 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Metalcloak also sells front upper long arm frame brackets. I'm running them because while their radius arm contraption looks interesting, I think the Tennessee mud would ruin them in no time. Here's the MC full 4-link long arm setup:

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
post #22 of 56 Old 04-29-2019, 05:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I've been running a Teraflex Prerunner long arm for the last six years. Overall I'm pleased with it, but their upper flex joints are too small for the loads they have to manage and self destruct regularly. The lower flex joints are fine. It spits out a clevite joint occasionally. Teraflex threw out their flex joints and clevites, replaced with the Alpine all-clevite design. Getting very good reviews.

A long arm is marginally more stable on the trail than a short arm, and highway ride is improved. All that said, you can get virtually as much out of a front drop bracket added to a short arm as you do with a long arm. I would not do another long arm on a JK. JL remains to be seen. The two long arm kits I've seen use a much longer rear upper arm, made possible by the JLs wider track.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #23 of 56 Old 04-29-2019, 05:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Those lowers should be good rock catchers. Good geometry up front is hard with the lack of space for the frame side mounts. You are better off off road with the short arm.
rockystock likes this.

Some build info here:

post #24 of 56 Old 04-29-2019, 09:21 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Thedirtman I plan on sticking with 35's for now since i still have the stock Dana 30 and the crappy 3.21 gears. I do hope to upgrade this in the near future but they work for now. As for the type of trails I do I dont think coil overs will be necessary.
What trails are you running on your 35s, 321 gears and dana 30 front axle will coilovers be "necessary"? If your desert prerunning other things on your set up need to be addressed not just coilovers. I think you need to do more research or join a club this way guys with experience will steer you in the right direction. Just saying
post #25 of 56 Old 04-29-2019, 03:46 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
Metalcloak also sells front upper long arm frame brackets. I'm running them because while their radius arm contraption looks interesting, I think the Tennessee mud would ruin them in no time. Here's the MC full 4-link long arm setup:

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Yay...it's like a short arm and a long arm combined.
Just what everyone's looking for, unless they want radius arms of course.

I generally like their stuff, but Metalcloak makes some weird choices
ChuckTheRipper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode