Fitting 12" travel King 2.0 shocks.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RedRock0740

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-16-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Fitting 12" travel King 2.0 shocks....

With my new one ton/40 install, I went with 10" travel King 2.0 smooth body shocks with linear 3"-lift coils.

Though the ride with the Kings is amazing, I lost some travel over the OME LTs (~11.2" travel) and 4" coils that they replaced.

So I was thinking to go back to 4" coils and 12" King 2.0 shocks. I have about an inch of shock shaft showing in the front with the 10" Kings and have about 1.25" of downward bump stop adjustability with the King 2.0 Air Bumps. It seems that I should be able to fit the 12" shocks up front no problem.

On the rear, I have the Synergy upper shock mount relocation which will move the shock mount up 2" and back about 2". Between that and perhaps some modification to the bump stop block at the axle, i think the King 12" shocks will fit in the back.

Only thing that worries me is spring unseating with the 4" coils. I was not getting that with the OMEs (11.2") but suspect I might with the Kings.

Anything else i should be thinking about for this change?

I want to keep the lift as low as possible and avoid a lift of more than 4"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-16-2019, 05:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Limit straps

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-17-2019, 03:48 PM
Wheeler

So, you're doing exactly what I just did and hoping to finish up tonight or this weekend. It's been a long process. I have an '18JKU with Dana UD60s. I'm running 40" Toyos. I had 4" EVO plush rides with the factory rubber isolator up front and 2" Teraflex coil spacers and the rubber isolators as well out back. I was running bilstien 3-5" shocks. Travel on those was right around 11". I had TF 3" upper extentions and a 1" pad on the axle for front bump stops. Out back I ran the factory upper foam pad and about 5" brackets/pads on the axle side for rear bump stops. I was using most all of the shock travel with this setup with about 5" up and 6 down. Full extended I believe the Bilstiens were about 28". So that is what I had.

I emailed Ben at Filthy and he called me and we made an order. I ended up going with the JK 6" lift King OEM 2" smoothies (this is a kit off the shelf and looking at the measurements it was going to fit nicely). These net 12.25" travel. Out back we had to custom order a set of Kings. The rear 6" JK lift OEM kit would have too long of bodies to fully compress using my measurements. The 3-5" lift shocks only had about 10" travel. I was not happy with that. So we custom ordered the rear shocks. The front shocks fully extended are right at 32" long (12.25" travel). The rear shocks are about 29.5" long with about 11.6" travel. I got the front shocks within about 10 days as these were off the shelf shocks. The rears took about 6 weeks. No big deal for me.

Now it was time to install them. Holy crap the front shocks were huge. My measurements must have been off a bit, but I made them work. I had to build a lower shock mount that would lower the bottom mount and outboard it about an inch. At full droop with the other side stuffed, the shock body rubbed the frame. Pretty easy job as I can cut and weld. Then I had to chop quite a bit of the rear of the front wheel wells, as well as chop my Poison Spider front bumper and some of the sheet metal near the back of the fog lights (hard to explain but the tire was getting into some sheet metal at full stuff and full turn in). Running factory fenders I had to chop up the lower support piece. As the tire came up it would rub pretty good on the factory fender support (the under side support). I chopped it where it rubbed. It did not rub on the fender itself, just the underside piece. Once I got everything clearanced, then came the bump stops. I ended up getting a longer set of King front bumps that gave me more adjustability. I'm using those and 3" round metal spacers on the axle side. Up front I have right at 5.25" up travel and just under 7" droop. I installed limit straps that stop travel with about 1/2" of shaft showing at full droop (my limit straps are advertised at 1/4" stretch/ft). Out back I found out that my EVO 4" coils were sagging about an inch. I bought Metalcloak 4.5" rear springs and switched to a 1" coil spacer. I like the ride and it sits just like I want it. I just got in the mail today 2.5" spacers for the rear axle side bump stop (these sit on a 3" riser that moves the pad forward about an inch). Out back up travel will only be at about 4", unless I lower the rear mount. I will do that eventually.

Sorry for the long write up but yeah, it took some time to get 12" shocks to fit and to get the travel out of them at 4" lift front and 5" lift rear. A lot of chopping, grinding, and messing with bump stops to get it right but it can be done if you have the tools. Quick note, my rear lower shock mounts had been raised in the past. A rear 6" lift King shock might fit with your 4" coils, but I'm guessing it may be too tight as I'm at around 5.5" lift. Good luck. Ben is a great dude and Filthy was great to work with.

18 JKU Granite Crystal- 4"lift, 40s, UD60s
07 Red Rock Crystal JKU - Sold

Last edited by RedRock0740; 04-17-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-18-2019, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

@RedRock0704
I'm curious as to how you know that OP wants to finish by
tonight or this coming weekend? He's been building this Jeep
for years. I just didn't see the time limitations you musta picked-up on....

Is there a deadline, White ?

post #5 of 17 Old 04-18-2019, 04:59 AM
Wheeler

Oh, my bad. What I meant is I was hoping to finish my Jeep up last night. My last thing to do was to install the rear bump pads on the axle side.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

post #6 of 17 Old 04-18-2019, 05:38 AM
JKO Addict!

40's with 4" of lift look good but really limits your up travel in the set up without reply cutting up the tub and running High line fenders.Adding hydraulic bump stops really does not help the situation as you are almost always running on the bumps even on the highway. This gives you an unbalance shock use with 4" of up travel and 8" of down. Not the end of the world depending on how you are using the jeep. Expect to bottom out often so have your bumps set up right even if you are only crawling, I recommend moving brackets to fit your tire clearance and lift vs searching for the right length shock as its much easier. King will also build the shocks however you want with different bottom mount lengths so you can fit them easier. I do know the rear EVO shock are an 11" travel. I just got done doing a build and the owner already had the bolt on coil over kit.

Some build info here:

post #7 of 17 Old 04-18-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

@RedRock0740
Thanks for responding. Interesting that you went with custom size in the rear. After talking to someone who has set up a lot of jeeps, I was almost going to go in a direction like you did - metalcloak springs for the free length plus another 1" spacer. But I am having a hard time with all that lift. And I don't need to be a droop king either.

Trying to fit the resi version of the 6" lift / 12" travel Kings will be easier and could have perhaps cost you less total for four new resi shocks (plus you could sell the 2.0's.).

If I do end up on 12" shocks, I think I will bite the bullet and get resi shocks for the better travel / compressed length (shorter). Will probably also get adjustables so I don't have to bother with custom valving.

What I am noodling over now is actually just changing out the King 2.0 3"-5" shocks to the King 2.5 resi shocks in the same size (3"-5"). Interestingly, it won't make much difference in the front in terms of travel or compressed length (which makes me wonder if I have the numbers correct). On the rear, going resi would net another 1" of travel in a shock that is shorter when compressed. Going with the 10" travel shocks means I can leave the synergy upper shock mount brackets off.

Here are the numbers....

FWIW, The Yellow OME LT shocks and the MetalCloak LT red shocks seem to have identical specs in terms of compressed and extended lengths. Those are at ~11.6 travel front and rear for either brand. Fox 2.5 resi shocks are I think in that same range of net travel.

Brand Size F/R Extended Compressed Travel
----------------------------------------------------
King 3"-5" Front 27.328 17.008 10.320
King 3"-5" Rear 27.097 17.472 9.625

King 6" Front 32.042 19.765 12.277
King 6" Rear 31.302 19.554 11.748

King Resi 3"-5" Front 27.270 16.893 10.377
King Resi 3"-5" Rear 28.140 17.263 10.877

King Resi 6" Front 31.043 18.650 12.393
King Resi 6" Rear 32.280 19.563 12.717

@j3ff3ry_j33p
Nope. No aggressive timelines here. Everything I do takes forever anyway because I have to time slice it with family and work. I also work inside of a small closed garage. Gotta be discrete in these parts.

@thedirtman
Definitely not setting the lift height based on looks. More like what I can still fit into the garage. I'm on 3" coils now with 3" bump stops front and rear. The front king bump stops are setup to bottom out same as stock so they do sit above the (3") strike pads a fair amount at ride height. I don't think I am hitting them much. The strikers and the white ball still look clean / unmarred.

I have two sets of coils now. eVo plush ride 3" and 4". They are linear. As mentioned above, I am thinking to go for the resi versions of the kings for the travel and shorter compressed length and then having the axle side shock brackets moved as needed. If the 4" evo coils are too loose at full droop, I'll go with the metalcloak 3.5" coils which have a 2" longer free length than the 4" evos.

Probably I am going to skip the evo tuned kings this time around. Another buddy who has built a lot of jeeps was suggesting that evo probably has the shocks tuned more for the southern califiornia trails closer to them in socal so the shocks might be firmer. For rock crawling and daily driving, softer might be more desirable (I like it, anyway). Probably I will go for teh resi shocks with tuning knobs versus custom tuned (non adjustable) unless there is a reason not to.

So, um, yeah.... I agree. Moving the shock mounts is the best approach here though I will probably add resi shocks to that.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 04-18-2019 at 01:58 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 05:06 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
@RedRock0740
Trying to fit the resi version of the 6" lift / 12" travel Kings will be easier and could have perhaps cost you less total for four new resi shocks (plus you could sell the 2.0's.).

You know what, I did do the 2.5 resi shocks. Not sure why I thought 2.0 smoothies. So yeah, 6"lift 2.5 resi kit for the front and the rears were 29.5" 2.5 resi. I believe the reason I had to run a slightly shorter shock in the rear is because of the raised lower shock mount. We did that when we installed the EVO high clearance long arm kit. Good luck man. It can work but will require some cutting and chopping to get the full benefit of the 12" travel (that is if you want more than 4" up).

post #9 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I have at least 1" of shaft showing at full compression. The bump stops are setup to bottom out where the stock ones bottomed and those are 3" striker pads.

I have 1 ton axles up front so my lower shock brackets hang lower (larger diameter tube) than on a stock D44.

Between the amount of exposed shock shaft and the specs below, it looks like I am very close in terms of fitting the 12" shock up front. If I have to lower the bump stops, I have ~1.5" of downward adjustment available. On paper, it seems that I would only need an additional 0.25" to 0.50" of downward adjustment on the bump stops to fit these shocks.

Brand | Size | F/R | Extended | Compressed | Travel
----------------------------------------------------
King | 3"-5" | Front | 27.328 | 17.008 | 10.320
King Resi | 6" | Front | 31.043 | 18.650 | 12.393

i will end up with one of these sets of coils, probably the metalcloak because of the longest free length. Right now I am thinking the MC 3.5 coil will be the one that still clears my garage with the longest free length.

Brand | Size | F/R | Free Length
--------------------------------
Metalcloak | 3.5" | Front | 22
Metalcloak | 3.5" | Rear | 19.5
Metalcloak | 4.5" | Front | ?
Metalcoak | 4.5" | Rear | 21
Evo Plush | 4" | Front | 21
Evo Plush | 4" | Rear | 18
Evo Plush | 3" | Front | 20
Evo Plush | 3" | Rear | 17

post #10 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

At ride height, I have 5.5" of shaft showing. Adjust that to 4.5" to compensate for the amount of shaft showing at full stuff. This is with the 3" linear evo coils.

It was a little challenging to get the tape measure inside the coil with my fat fingers but the air bump has 2" of travel and there is about 2.5" -2.75" of air gap between white delrin bumper pad and the aluminum striker par on the axle.

post #11 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 11:17 AM
Granite Guru

@White13JKUR I would say to look at the MC 4.5 springs over the 3.5 to run the 12” shocks. I have the 3.5 and got right at 4” of lift and at running 10” ADS shocks. I use 100% of my front shocks because of how well the sprigs compress and at 3” of bump stops. I also have 4 5/8” of shaft showing at ride hight.

I don’t think you would be able to use the full amount of shock with the 3.5 coils and 12” shocks.
Name:  DCCA7D36-FF4F-4A85-814D-5FCC770A5A0F_1555697822643.jpeg
Views: 105
Size:  723.4 KB

08 Jk Unlimited Rubicon

Link to build page-
post #12 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

@08JKUR33

Thanks for the pics. I just double checked the garage fitment. I'm not going more than the 3.5" MC coils or the 4" evo coils. I think that just means I stick with a 10" travel King and have them properly mounted (making sure they are almost fully compressed at full stuff). Still, I am going to go with resi shocks for the additional travel on the rears. Just got off the phone with Accutune so I will order a set of custom tuned / adjustable resi shocks from them when I do this.

Between now and then, I will put my original 4" evo coils and OME LT shocks back on.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 01:02 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
@08JKUR33

Thanks for the pics. I just double checked the garage
fitment. I'm not going more than the 3.5" MC coils or the 4" evo coils. I think that just means I stick with a 10" travel King and have them properly mounted (making sure they are almost fully compressed at full stuff). Still, I am going to go with resi shocks for the additional travel on the rears. Just got off the phone with Accutune so I will order a set of custom tuned / adjustable resi shocks from them when I do this.

Between now and then, I will put my original 4" evo coils and OME LT shocks back on.
Sounds like a good plan! As nice as it would be to have 12” shocks you have to think ahead.

08 Jk Unlimited Rubicon

Link to build page-
post #14 of 17 Old 04-23-2019, 02:30 PM
Granite Guru

@White13JKUR hey I don’t know why I didn’t think of it before but in the rear you might be able to get away with the synergy upper shock relocation. They raises upper shock mount 2” and by keeping the lower shock location, a 12” travel shock may work. Doing something similar with the front may be the trick as well.

08 Jk Unlimited Rubicon

Link to build page-
post #15 of 17 Old 04-24-2019, 05:26 AM
JKO Addict!

You could replace those shock shafts (pitted bad anyway) with shafts and billet ends that are about 1" longer than the welded loop you have now. That would take the amount of shaft showing at ride height to 0.

Some build info here:

post #16 of 17 Old 04-24-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08JKUR33 View Post
@White13JKUR hey I don’t know why I didn’t think of it before but in the rear you might be able to get away with the synergy upper shock relocation. They raises upper shock mount 2” and by keeping the lower shock location, a 12” travel shock may work. Doing something similar with the front may be the trick as well.
I've got the OME shocks back on now and 4" coils up front. Left the 3" coils out back for now. I have those synergy brackets. I may put them back on if I go with 12" travel shocks. I expect not to have to add any bump stop with those. You need to do a rear sway bar relocation too and the synergy instructions say that that the brackets won't work with King 2.5 shocks.

This is, though, i am not going with coils that are rated at greater than 4" lift. I can't go any taller so it does not make as much sense to go with the 12's because all I will gain is droop. In fact, I would have to add 1/2" to 3/4" more bump stop up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
You could replace those shock shafts (pitted bad anyway) with shafts and billet ends that are about 1" longer than the welded loop you have now. That would take the amount of shaft showing at ride height to 0.
Pitted? Ha! They are brand new. Yeah, that would work up front. Ultimately I am just going to have the lower shock brackets raised at the axle.
post #17 of 17 Old 04-25-2019, 06:04 AM
JKO Addict!

looked pitted in the photo but maybe just some dirty oil residue. The new shaft with billet end would still work.

Some build info here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode