Swapping D30 to D44 Newbie needs help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rich6700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-15-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Swapping D30 to D44 Newbie needs help

Hi
I have just returned to the forum after a long time away.

so I'll sum this up as concisely as possible:
-I want to put a Rubicon Next Gen D44 in the front of my 2010 JKU Sahara, to replace my D30 currently there.(which is done)
-So I know I have to change the ring and pinion in the front diff of the "new to me" D44 so it will match my Sahara rear gears that are 3.73:1 This is correct?
-I'm no mechanic when it comes to this stuff, so please be patient (and hopefully kind lol).
-Are there any other things I need to know/buy etc...?
-I know I need transfer case oil, and the new gears, and some way to wire up the e lockers with a switch ,and fuse.

I'm on a budget (a low one) thus the D44 is coming from a wrecker, it was an unexpected (kinda) failure.

any tips , or pointers would also help.

2010 Sahara Unlimited. 33" Goodyear Duratracs, MOPAR Grab Handles front and Rugged ridge in back, SilverStar Platinum Head Lights, Gorilla Pod Video Camera Mount System,Kargo Master Kongo Cage,50" light bar, Rear tail light guards, gas cap cover locking, Smittybilt Jerry Can Holder, with Scepter military can, chopped stubby bumper... assorted decals . Other factory options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-15-2019, 12:54 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

why not upgrade the rear gears to 4.10? Or just pull the front driveshaft until you can save up the money to swap the rear gears.

Why do you need transfer case oil? Don't you mean diff fluid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-15-2019, 01:31 PM

1. Not all Rubicon 44's have 4.10s...Some have 3.73's. Check this before considering replacement.
2. If it has 4.10s, swap the rear gears to 4.10...
3. Gear oil 75-90w
4. Wiring with a fuse should be cake, might be tough to find the correct plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-15-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks Much appreciated. I did some extra homework on this after my post. Yeah a lot of Rubi's came with 3.73.....now to find one. Thanks for the note on the Oil.
I found a video on how to wire the lockers using audio jack plugs I may give that a try.

2010 Sahara Unlimited. 33" Goodyear Duratracs, MOPAR Grab Handles front and Rugged ridge in back, SilverStar Platinum Head Lights, Gorilla Pod Video Camera Mount System,Kargo Master Kongo Cage,50" light bar, Rear tail light guards, gas cap cover locking, Smittybilt Jerry Can Holder, with Scepter military can, chopped stubby bumper... assorted decals . Other factory options.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-15-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yes diff fluid sorry...newbie..
good tips thanks Uncle Sam's

post #6 of 6 Old 04-16-2019, 07:23 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAVIK View Post
Thanks Much appreciated. I did some extra homework on this after my post. Yeah a lot of Rubi's came with 3.73.....now to find one. Thanks for the note on the Oil.

I found a video on how to wire the lockers using audio jack plugs I may give that a try.
Do not use audio jack plugs. Get a weather pack connector.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
mmilburn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode