Front axle seals, coincidence? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 04-01-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Front axle seals, coincidence?

Iíve got one side leaking slightly.
2017 JKUR w/45k on the odometer.

While back dealer told me it was time to change diff and T case fluids, they planned to charge me out the ass for this.

I did it myself and upgraded the covers while I was at it.
I DID NOT use lighter viscosity gear oil in the front. I used the same 75-140 that the rear calls for.

First?,is it possible that the heavier oil caused some extra pressure that in turn is causing my seals to fail, or is it common to start leaking around 45k? Maybe coincidence?

Second?
Any particular brand seals that I should look for, or avoid?

BTW, unless I missed something and Poison Spyder diff covers hold more/less fluid than stock covers, I used the correct amount of gear oil.

Edit:
Vent tube is not clogged up, itís free and clear.
Maybe the guy that did my gears nicked a seal ?

Last edited by Pmedic920; 04-01-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 04-01-2019, 04:51 PM
Granite Guru

If someone pulled your axles recently and then the seals leaked soon after I would pull my affected side axle and examine the seal vigorously with my finger.
post #3 of 38 Old 04-01-2019, 08:47 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have always replaced with mopar seals. Iíve done it on a few jeeps, and I always get 2, just in case, but have never damaged one yet. I typically do both since the other side has done just as much work, and you are already in the front diff anyway. That way it takes an extra couple minutes, instead of having to do the whole job all over again.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 04-03-2019, 04:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

I assume you have a Dana 30. I just installed PS diff covers. I measured out the 1 3/8 amount of fluid for the front. It started coming out the fill hole just at the end of the fill.

I just bought mine so unless yours are older/different design, I doubt it was overfilled.

If you just had gears done, probably the person who did your gears damaged the seal in some fashion.

Let us know what you find out.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #5 of 38 Old 04-04-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndtguy View Post
I assume you have a Dana 30. I just installed PS diff covers. I measured out the 1 3/8 amount of fluid for the front. It started coming out the fill hole just at the end of the fill.

I just bought mine so unless yours are older/different design, I doubt it was overfilled.

If you just had gears done, probably the person who did your gears damaged the seal in some fashion.

Let us know what you find out.

JKUR
Rubicon
Itís a D44, gears were done about 30k ago. @this point I assume that the seal may have been damaged but have little hope of getting the shop to fix the problem.

The hard reality of my situation is ďbudgetĒ. I donít like paying for work that I can do, even if it means humbling myself and asking for help.

Iíve wanted to do some upgrades anyway. My factory ball joints have over 45 k on them and are probably close to needing attention. Iíve been planning on upgrading some steering components and axle shafts as well.

Looks like a very inexpensive part is going to force my hand and cost me a couple ďKĒ

Iíll be replacing the leaking seals. Replacing/upgrading ball joints.
Upgrading axle shafts, if I can schedule the help Iíll put some sleeves in the tube, and gusset the Cís. (I donít weld anything that is important)
If I can catch a MetalCloak free shipping sale, Iíll get their tie rod/drag link kit too.
Hell, now that Iím thinking, Iíll probably do unit bearings while Iím at it, Iíll keep the ones I have now as spares. Seems stupid to not do the bearings while I have the stuff apart (they arenít a huge expense).

Looking at the YouTube, although slightly intimidating I think I can get r done.
libordemise likes this.
post #6 of 38 Old 04-04-2019, 11:14 AM
Rock God

DAMN SON, you go down the rabbit hole for a seal leaking.
Texas_Jester likes this.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #7 of 38 Old 04-04-2019, 02:56 PM
Rock God

Garage

From a small job to large job. Preventive maintenance is always a good thing.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #8 of 38 Old 04-04-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
DAMN SON, you go down the rabbit hole for a seal leaking.

I know right.

Itís really a matter of not wanting to do the same labor more than once.
Itís a bunch of work to replace the seals, been wanting to do the upgrades anyway.

Iíll be recruiting help, might as well make a day of it huh?
post #9 of 38 Old 04-04-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
From a small job to large job. Preventive maintenance is always a good thing.

Do you have a method of preventatively maintaining an inner axle seal on a D44?

I love to learn, Iím all ears.
post #10 of 38 Old 04-04-2019, 04:45 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Nothing you can do to as far as preventative maintenance. I put rugged ridge outer seals on mine to keep shit out of the axle tubes. I was replacing a set at the end of every season since I do both while Iím in there. I was always finding oily sandy shit in my tubes when I replaced the seals. My Jeep did a lot of daily driver miles while my truck was down last year, and I havenít moved it from storage yet this spring. Iím thinking that this weekend will be a good one to pull it out and do the maintenance, like check and torque suspension, check fluid levels, etc. that I have put off all winter even though I have a 1500 sqft heated shop to work in, but no hoist which is a bit of a pain at times.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 38 Old 04-04-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
Nothing you can do to as far as preventative maintenance. I put rugged ridge outer seals on mine to keep shit out of the axle tubes. I was replacing a set at the end of every season since I do both while Iím in there. I was always finding oily sandy shit in my tubes when I replaced the seals. My Jeep did a lot of daily driver miles while my truck was down last year, and I havenít moved it from storage yet this spring. Iím thinking that this weekend will be a good one to pull it out and do the maintenance, like check and torque suspension, check fluid levels, etc. that I have put off all winter even though I have a 1500 sqft heated shop to work in, but no hoist which is a bit of a pain at times.

Thatís what I think I know.
Kinda messing with the dude, thought maybe he was busting my balls for not keeping up with my shit.
I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but Iím not the dullest either.
post #12 of 38 Old 04-04-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Front axle seals, coincidence?

FWIW, I purchased an installment tool for the inner seals.

I donít expect to need this tool very often, and it truly seems to be the ďway to goĒ.

I saw another thread (donít remember the Op) where dude bought a tapering bit for ball joint installs. He offered the bit to others with the understanding that folks would share the tool with others.

ďPay it forwardĒ

When Iím done with my repair, Iíll post another thread offering this seal installment tool to others.
I love the thought of us looking out for our own.

It a simple concept, use the tool, pass it on to the next Jeep Peep that needs it.

Cheers

If youíre not aware, the tool makes things a 100xs easier to do the job.
post #13 of 38 Old 04-04-2019, 06:51 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic920 View Post

I love to learn, Iím all ears.
Unfortunately, I'm not the one that will be teaching that course. I'd be sitting next to you taking notes.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #14 of 38 Old 04-04-2019, 06:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Kinda messing with the dude, thought maybe he was busting my balls for not keeping up with my shit.
I wasn't busting your balls. I was being serious that PM is a good thing. Think its good that you are doing it and doing as much of it, as you feel comfortable with. I wouldn't bust on someone who works on their own stuff.
Rick Rand likes this.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #15 of 38 Old 04-04-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
I wasn't busting your balls. I was being serious that PM is a good thing. Think its good that you are doing it and doing as much of it, as you feel comfortable with. I wouldn't bust on someone who works on their own stuff.

Itís all good friend.
My bad, I assumed you were saying that ďifĒ I had done my PM, I wouldnít be in the situation.
I was taken back by the concept because as far as I know, thereís not much I guy can do to prevent the failure of an inner axle seal.

Truth is, itís not that big of deal and my post was actually asking about the failure @ 45k miles.

I know itís not uncommon for ball joints to need attention at or before 45k (especially w/ oversized tires) but I was actually surprised when I saw evidence of seal failure, not that I think it shouldnít happen, I simply wasnít expecting it.
ndtguy likes this.
post #16 of 38 Old 04-04-2019, 07:12 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Preventive = remove and replace before they start leaking

I rely on the leak indicator fluid (that also lubricates gears)

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #17 of 38 Old 04-04-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Preventive = remove and replace before they start leaking

I rely on the leak indicator fluid (that also lubricates gears)

Aw Shit.
I probably need to be looking for an engine, that POS might crap the bed soon.

:{)
post #18 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 03:35 AM
Rock God

if it did not start leaking for 30,000 miles after the gear change it was not the guy installed your gears. If a seal is damaged during gear install it starts right away. It is not uncommon for front axle seals to start leaking. my 2014 had the front seals replaced 2X under warranty first time at 36000 and second time at around 50,000. if you have under 60,000 miles on your rig you should get them replaced under the 5/60000 drive train warranty.
post #19 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 07:42 AM
Rock God

Here's my thought on axle seal preventive maintenance...

I put just enough fluid in the axles to keep the bottom of the seals wet.
Filling with the specified number of quarts may not do this. Filling to the bottom of the fill hole may not do this, either. The little bit of extra fluid hasn't been enough to cause foaming or puking from the vent tube.

I pulled the front shafts for ball joints about 100K miles ago.
Front and rear seals have 178K miles on them. No leakage yet.

I'll never know for sure if the seals are surviving because I'm lucky, or if it's the extra fluid that is the factor.
ExWrench likes this.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #20 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 07:51 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I was thinking he was agreeing that doing all those extra items you mentioned were a good idea as preventative maintenance, bjs, hubs etc
post #21 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 07:54 AM
Granite Guru

Oops.. I see it's been covered.
post #22 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 08:45 AM
Rock God

Saw an advertisement that Synergy has a new and updated version of their balljoints. Is that true or are they still the same old design?

2010 2 door manual sport
post #23 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
Saw an advertisement that Synergy has a new and updated version of their balljoints. Is that true or are they still the same old design?

Personally Iím not sure about the Synergy BJs :{)

I did as much research as I could, all that I could surmise was, thereís several good ones out there.

I ended up ordering the TeraFlex joints simply based on past costumer service. Iíve only ever had small issues but TF has always treated me like I was their most important account.

Iím hoping that the BJs :{) are good.
post #24 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by libordemise View Post
I was thinking he was agreeing that doing all those extra items you mentioned were a good idea as preventative maintenance, bjs, hubs etc

Like I said, it was my bad.
Iím used to the internet BS, and made a bad assumption.
libordemise likes this.
post #25 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 05:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have the synergy ball joints, couple years working good. Used a piece of threaded rod with washers and nuts to install the seals. Cost about 15 bucks worked great. Parts store seals been working fine
Rick Rand likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode