Brake Pads - What do you like best and why? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By duncanstives
  • 1 Post By mijku

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-27-2019, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Brake Pads - What do you like best and why?

I may be due for a brake pad replacement soon and would like your guy's opinion/recommendation on which pads are best or you like best and why? (specific manu./model)

Would prefer something that typically provides lower brake dust if possible. My current set up puts off a lot of brake dust in my opinion.

I have an '07 2dr that is probably due for brakes too.

Just looking at new pads. My rotors and calipers are upgraded with the Currie 60s.

Thanks.

'13 JKU Billet Silver, RockKrawler 3.5 lift, JRi Shocks, Currie VXR60s, Spyderlock Wheels, Nitto Trail Grapplers 37x12.50, ARB Twin with Lockers, PSC Hydro Assist, Superchips Flashpaq, Rubi Rails, Ace Rock Sliders, sPod, JCR Front & Rear bumpers, Engo 10KS Winch, KrawlOff-Road LEDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-28-2019, 08:54 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I installed new pads and rotors about 3k miles ago. I went with the Hawk LTS pads because I heard a lot of great things about them. After bedding them in, driving around a bit and some rock crawling, they seem to be marginally better than the basic set I replaced. Nothing super fantastic, but a good brake pad overall. They do put out a decent amount of dust, but they are a "performance" pad.

'15 JKU/ 3" Synergy MFG Stage 2/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP/ 35" KM2/ 4.56 Yukon Gears/ Currie Rock Jock 44/ ARB Locker/ Adams 1310/ VKS Fab/ Evo MFG
post #3 of 15 Old 03-28-2019, 09:40 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Whatever is cheap. Sand and stuff from wheeling eats pads fast so I don't get fancy.
rockystock likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-14-2019, 05:25 PM

Autozone gold with lifetime warranty. I take the skins in and they give me new. Maybe not the greatest pads out there but i have gotten a couple of free sets. Just cost my time to install.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
rockystock likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-14-2019, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

It appears from OPs signature that he's running an Unlimited
with larger than factory tires = the law of things predicates that the backs are gonna wear out before the fronts even more on a
fat-bottomed girl 4door. Back when I drove my jkus commuting or on road , I'd go thru 3 sets of rear pads for each set of fronts.

As such , I got into buying 3fers of Crown or Rugged Ridge ( same, Omix-Ada) rear pads but ran progressively different brake setups up front til I wound up w EBC greenstuff pads on dimpled rotors from them and the setup works as well as factory can. I don't drive on road but they are doing fine for my setup off-road / on rocks. I am shopping brake upgrades ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-20-2019, 08:23 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I had a 2003 Dakota quad cab years ago and replaced the stock pads with ceramic. The oem pads were TERRIBLE and spewed dust everywhere. The ceramic pads performed a bit better than stock and eliminated the black dust bombs.

My stock JK pads lasted over 70,000 miles (bone stock JKU) with no noticeable drop in performance. I replaced them with new oem pads and rotors with a lift and 35s - the new brakes have lasted over 40,000 miles with the bigger tires. Stock brakes, who knew? I've also been consciously strategizing gas and brakes, looking ahead in traffic, coasting down etc. so maybe that helps too.

Recommend also checking out some 1-ton truck forums and see what they like for brakes. Anything on their rigs should tend to perform at least as well on the JK with tons.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-22-2019, 05:55 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijku View Post
Autozone gold with lifetime warranty. I take the skins in and they give me new. Maybe not the greatest pads out there but i have gotten a couple of free sets. Just cost my time to install.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
^ This
post #8 of 15 Old 04-22-2019, 05:56 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanstives View Post
Whatever is cheap. Sand and stuff from wheeling eats pads fast so I don't get fancy.
^ And this. If your going to upgrade your calipers or get bigger rotors that is justifiable money spent. Don’t go crazy in oem sized brake pads
post #9 of 15 Old 04-22-2019, 04:17 PM

I installed new pads and rotors about 3k miles ago
post #10 of 15 Old 04-24-2019, 09:01 AM
Rock God

im also running Hawk LTS pads. noticeably better stopping power and feel. Im still on the same set from 6 years ago. Stopped destroying rear pads after i started to turn off stability control whenever i touched the dirt.

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #11 of 15 Old 05-19-2019, 05:39 PM
j0n
Wheeler

I installed the EBC "Orange Stuff" brake pads on my rear brakes. It is my second set and I noticed that they wear evenly and decrease my stopping distance. Very good brake pads in my opinion.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-19-2019, 06:49 PM
Wheeler

I prefer EBC and use yellow for most applications but I’ve never heard not seen orange. I’ll gave to look it up.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-20-2019, 10:55 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
rears replaced at 35,000 miles

I replaced my rear pads with Thermo-Quiet ceramic pads from Advance Auto Parts. These pads have a Limited Lifetime Replacement warranty.

The rotors were fine. That was eight months and 5,000 miles ago. The pads have performed fine.

List price was $66 and I got a $16.50 discount (for logging-in and placing a "hold/order" online?), so I paid $50, plus tax.

Last edited by JJS2; 05-20-2019 at 10:58 AM.
post #14 of 15 Old 05-21-2019, 03:22 PM
j0n
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copasspupil View Post
I prefer EBC and use yellow for most applications but Iíve never heard not seen orange. Iíll gave to look it up.
I was able to find the kit on amazon. The kit sells from EBC and includes their slotted and dimpled rotors. From what I can tell, the orange stuff is a bit more aggressive with their friction material. I plan on using their pads when I upgrade to the Mopar Big Brake Kit.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-21-2019, 04:08 PM
Granite Guru

I like the autozone duralast gt pads, there are close to an ebc yellowstuff in performance, but with a lifetime warranty. Sign up for their coupons to save some extra coin while you are at it. I have those on my Rubicon axles sitting in my backyard and on my super duty swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode