Prorock 44 Install - Passenger front axle won't go in - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Texas_Jester
  • 1 Post By Texas_Jester

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-24-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Prorock 44 Install - Passenger front axle won't go in

HI guys, hoping for some help or direction here, I am installing new axles in my 2017 jku, I just put a Prorock 60 in the rear and a Prorock 44 in the front, all is good and i'm down to sliding the last passenger side (long) axle back in the front and it will not go, seems to me it has to be an alignment issue on my part, but I've tried everything I can think of now and been messing with it for over 4 hours total the past two days. I've had it out and back in so many times in the last 4 hours that I would have thought it would have lined up by accident at some point.

There does not seem to be any kind of alignment aid or anything in there in my way like a factory axle would have, I have tried using the factory alignment shims to no avail, it goes through the seal and actually seems to engage the carrier gear as it will turn the opposite axle as I turn the one that won't go in, it hangs up every time about 1/2" from where it needs to be.

The axles came installed in a fully assembled dynatrac pro rock 44 with arb locker and its definitely the right axle and right length. I swapped out my factory spindles to put on the 44 so I had to pull the axles to do so. I am beyond stumped at this point. Any tips or pointers would be appreciated as I am dead in the water at this point trying to get it back together.

Thanks in advance for any insight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-24-2019, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

what's it look like inside the carrier or feel like? Have you opened the diff to see? It takes often a lot more pre-lube on those splines for new, tight tolerance shafts to get into the groove sometimes , so don't hold back on the assembly lube or redNtacky for this.

you have tried tapping them w/ BFH once you have them spinning opposite side? It is also possible you got a seal sideways or off center and maybe preventing further insert?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-24-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I pulled the diff cover to see what I could tell. Not much to see with that locker in there, have not used the BFH as I was more worried I might damage something. I’ll pick up some lube and try the hammer as seal looks straight to me best I can tell. Driver side (short shaft) slipped right in with no resistance at all, really has me stumped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-24-2019, 08:23 PM

Keep us posted. I also have a Prorock 44/60 on order
post #5 of 12 Old 03-25-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Will do @Punkn

@j3ff3ry_j33p I am starting to think that maybe the axle is going in all the way. When looking through the axle tube I can see where the end of the axle has been against the center pin in the carrier and has marked it (assuming from my 60+ times of sliding it in and out and tapping on it to ensure it is seated).

When pushed in as far as I can get it to go, there is a 5/8" to 3/4" gap between the axle tube and the back of the axle shaft (on passenger side there is only like a 3/8" gap) so I have been assuming that is too much gap, but if I were running axle seals that would actually leave very little clearance.

However, when I install and tighten the unit bearing on that passenger side, everything seems to get into a bind and its difficult to turn that knuckle. Could this just be due to the new ball bearings, etc.??

Am going to try and re-measure and reset everything again at lunch time today and see how that turns out.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-25-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Jester View Post
HI guys, hoping for some help or direction here, I am installing new axles in my 2017 jku, I just put a Prorock 60 in the rear and a Prorock 44 in the front, all is good and i'm down to sliding the last passenger side (long) axle back in the front and it will not go, seems to me it has to be an alignment issue on my part, but I've tried everything I can think of now and been messing with it for over 4 hours total the past two days. I've had it out and back in so many times in the last 4 hours that I would have thought it would have lined up by accident at some point.

There does not seem to be any kind of alignment aid or anything in there in my way like a factory axle would have, I have tried using the factory alignment shims to no avail, it goes through the seal and actually seems to engage the carrier gear as it will turn the opposite axle as I turn the one that won't go in, it hangs up every time about 1/2" from where it needs to be.

The axles came installed in a fully assembled dynatrac pro rock 44 with arb locker and its definitely the right axle and right length. I swapped out my factory spindles to put on the 44 so I had to pull the axles to do so. I am beyond stumped at this point. Any tips or pointers would be appreciated as I am dead in the water at this point trying to get it back together.

Thanks in advance for any insight

Now I am thinking twice I talk to dynatrac the other day I was abt to order one I have to hold my horses now and see what will happen with u. By the way seems dynatrac have very good customer service did u contact them they will help u. Give them a buz and keep us posted plz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 12 Old 03-25-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloucha View Post
Now I am thinking twice I talk to dynatrac the other day I was abt to order one I have to hold my horses now and see what will happen with u. By the way seems dynatrac have very good customer service did u contact them they will help u. Give them a buz and keep us posted plz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They do have good customer service, all this happened over the weekend so I did not try to call them, and I am waiting for them to open this morning, I really don't think its an issue with Dynatrac or what they have provided me, I will continue to update this post as I move along.

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Dynatrac, very helpful and good conversation, I will be taking some pictures for them to run it by one of their techs on my lunch break today, I will update this when I have more info.

Last edited by Texas_Jester; 03-25-2019 at 08:25 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-25-2019, 10:18 AM
Rock God

I had an axle shaft once that was an 1/8" too long and was close enough I didn't notice until I had already ran down the 3 screws for the unit bearing and it wound up trashing the bearing. I sent it back but could have just ground some off the end.

I would take a stick or something and run it to the carrier pin and measure it. Then compare it to how far the axle shaft is going in.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-25-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
I had an axle shaft once that was an 1/8" too long and was close enough I didn't notice until I had already ran down the 3 screws for the unit bearing and it wound up trashing the bearing. I sent it back but could have just ground some off the end.

I would take a stick or something and run it to the carrier pin and measure it. Then compare it to how far the axle shaft is going in.
thanks @Dkjeep ........just got back from doing some measuring and checking and talking with Dynatrac as well as sending them some photos. This appears to be the exact problem after measuring the axle and running a tape measure in until it bottoms out. The axle is actually bottoming out against the carrier (locker) center pin and then the unit bearing is bottoming out against the axle about 1/4" from where it needs to seat up. Trying to sort whether axle is too long or tube is too short, but either way this is where the issue is.

If I have 5/16 of an inch milled off the shaft then its going to put the seal very close to the end of the seal seat, so waiting to hear back from Dynatrac after they do some internal investigating to see what the path forward is going to be.

@j3ff3ry_j33p your trick with the red n tacky is what actually led me to see what was going on as it left enough of a lube line on the seal seat and the splines for me to see exactly where everything was, then when I got the tape measure out it was apparent that the axle was not hanging/binding, but was actually bottoming out and just too long.

I'll keep you guys posted as to the final outcome.
ndtguy and eloucha like this.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-27-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

With Dynatrac's review and input (and warranty support) we are milling the end of the axle shaft down so it will fit and moving on. IMHO they did a good and thorough job with customer service. Just wanted to close the gap for the few of you that seemed interested.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-27-2019, 12:25 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Jester View Post
With Dynatrac's review and input (and warranty support) we are milling the end of the axle shaft down so it will fit and moving on. IMHO they did a good and thorough job with customer service. Just wanted to close the gap for the few of you that seemed interested.
good news, but how the hell did they get it in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
good news, but how the hell did they get it in?
What they sent me was a fully built front axle, less the knuckles, I am re-using the knuckles from my current axle housing, so they just had the axles slid in the housing and zip tied to the C's to keep them from sliding out - nothing there to confirm how deep it was seated or how far it was sticking out and when just looking at it, 1/4" isn't easily visible until you try to seat that unit bearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode