Transmission shifting issues - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-18-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Transmission shifting issues

So I have a 2016 JKU 3.6L with Automatic with SD axles and 40" tires. I have all 4 speed sensors hooked up and reprogrammed taking into account the tooth count ratio. Drives and runs perfectly, speedo spot on.

Last few wheeling trips, I have had issues when in 4 low in particular but I think maybe 4 hi too, where the transmission stops shifting. When this happens I can't control the shifts manually, but I can shift to neutral, reverse park etc.

I can fix this by turning the jeep off and back on. This happened to me this weekend, no codes were thrown, no warning lights ever went on... Any suggestions? I think mine is still under warranty but I always hesitate to take it to the dealer with the heavy mods to the suspension...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-21-2019, 08:47 PM
Wheeler

When I did the swap I had similar issues. Particularly in 4 low. But occasionally it would go into limp mode normal driving giving me only 3rd gear.

I am assuming youíre using 60 tooth tone rings to match the SD unit bearings.

Find the percentage difference. I donít recall the tooth count stock jk but divide that number by 60. Youíll get .86 if I recall.

Take your gear ratio multiply by that percentage in my case 5.38 x .86 = 4.63 and my 40ís measure 38 x .86 = 32.68 (32.75) and itís all happy.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-31-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I did that, once I made those changes everything ran fine and stopped throwing codes except for this remaining issue when in 4 LOW. It just stops shifting gears. I can shift to neutral, reverse etc, but it will stick in say second, and not shift up or down until I restart the jeep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-31-2019, 08:38 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltis View Post
I did that, once I made those changes everything ran fine and stopped throwing codes except for this remaining issue when in 4 LOW. It just stops shifting gears. I can shift to neutral, reverse etc, but it will stick in say second, and not shift up or down until I restart the jeep?

Is it possible, the low range ratio isnít set correctly?

when I switched my t case, I didnít know the computer needed to know I changed it.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-01-2019, 12:12 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGzCrush View Post
Is it possible, the low range ratio isnít set correctly?

when I switched my t case, I didnít know the computer needed to know I changed it.
^^This. I purchased a tuned TCM and mine would freak out in 4L only. I ultimately ended up returning the TCM but I am fairly certain the issue was that the 4:1 option was missed in the tune. My inTune device was telling me the error was: PCM:P0732 Gear 2 Incorrect Gear Ratio Selected
post #6 of 8 Old 04-01-2019, 07:24 PM
Granite Guru

I just had this issue with my hemi swapped jku. Ended up being a faulty tcm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 Old 04-01-2019, 07:27 PM
Wheeler

I had a buddy that had similar issues too. His turned out to be an aftermarket stereo head unit that freaked out the can-bus system.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-09-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I havent changed my transfer case, still the stock 4:1, I can try to reprogram, otherwise maybe it is the TCM...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode