Keystone Tubed Backhalf - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 131 Old 03-12-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Keystone Tubed Backhalf

I started my tubed backhalf build back in January so I figured I'd start a build thread to document as I go in case anyone else gets drunk one night and cuts their JK in half. Also to source any insight and explain my keystone light fueled evening ideas.

I'll give a summary of the build as it is but this thread will be primarily for the fabrication of the tube backhalf and cage.

Build specs:

Jeep as it was purchased in 2014:
Stock 2007 JK 2dr Non-Rubicon

Jeep at the beginning of this little project:

Front Axle:
90 KP D60
Artec full truss
Reid Knuckles
Reid Bronze KP bushings
35 spline outers
ECGS flanges
G2 5.38s
Spartan Locker
ECGS cover

Rear Axle:
03 14B
Artec Full Truss
Yukon 5.38s
Yukon Spool
Shaved with Motobilt 13B shave cover

Suspension:
Front 3 Link custom links with johnny joints
Rear 4 link custom links with johnny joints on lowers and heims on uppers.
Rear lowers were not triangulated. Uppers obviously were.
Fox 2.0 12" coil-overs
111" wheelbase, Front stretched ~2.5", Rear stretched ~12"

Wheels/Tires:
ATX Chamber II Pros
41.5 Pitbull Rockers

Motor:
3.8L Minivan engine..
Ripp Supercharger with altitude pulley
Ripp long tube headers.

Design Build Plans:
-Keep the wheelbase at 111" without having to rebuild links
-Increase triangulation on rear lowers but otherwise retain link geometry
-Raise rear coilover upper mount to allow for slightly lower ride height
-Replace rear frame section with tube and build roll cage from that
-Replace seats with Corbeau LG1 and tie seat mounts to cage for a complete capsule.
-Aesthetically shooting for something similar to the Axial Wraith but tying nodes together to eliminate dead nodes and get load paths to the frame.
-All frame connections to be hard mounted to frame to eliminate stresses from not all of them being bushed.
-Retain factory windshield.

Current Progress:
-Body and frame are chopped off roughly 3" behind the center body mount
-93LF of 1.75" x .120" wall DOM (all of the stock at my local supplier) acquired
-JD2 bender setup and mounted to my trailer.
-2"x4"x.250" cross member and frame "box-in" fabbed and installed right at the rear frame cut.
-Lower "frame tube" is bent and final welded.
-Main hoop is bent and tacked in place.
-A to B tubes are welded to UCF windshield brackets and tacked to main hoop.

If anyone knows a loophole for picture posting allowance, I can get to posting some pics on the build.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 Old 03-12-2019, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Hey,
dude

You've nothing for me to approve that I see ...but you've only got 5 posts thus you need to post 4 more comments for temp image restraint to be uninvoked for your 'new'acct.

Note: you won't want to try directly uploading large images to the forum via 'attachment' since your free acct storage caps out fast; use Flickr or Imgur to store your images in an album and each one will have a URL generated that you can then select the image insertion button and paste into body of your post.

Hope that helps !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 131 Old 03-12-2019, 02:39 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I thought it was a 10 post minimum to be able to post images.

Or you can post them on an imaging site and then just put the link in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 131 Old 03-12-2019, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Yeah, I was assuming the 5th would be
his 10th post , that's what I was failing
at implying. Thanks gunny. 10 posts required total .
J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 131 Old 03-12-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
Hey,
dude

You've nothing for me to approve that I see ...but you've only got 5 posts thus you need to post 4 more comments for temp image restraint to be uninvoked for your 'new'acct.

Note: you won't want to try directly uploading large images to the forum via 'attachment' since your free acct storage caps out fast; use Flickr or Imgur to store your images in an album and each one will have a URL generated that you can then select the image insertion button and paste into body of your post.

Hope that helps !
Solid. I planned on using one of those sites to store images anyways. Thanks man. I'll get my post count up and then continue this thread with pics.

Chase Weston
post #6 of 131 Old 03-12-2019, 08:01 PM
JKO Addict!

No idea why but one pic would t load for me.

Talk about buzz cut

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #7 of 131 Old 03-13-2019, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Alright, cheater reply to get my 10th. Will post some content around lunch time.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Chase Weston
post #8 of 131 Old 03-13-2019, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Let @KnightJK stand as an example of the optimal way to
integrate into this forum. He has properly introduced himself, is posting images , has shown he is capable of internet usage and all of that is so he can share his creative, mechanical alterations planned for his jK.

fwiw, that is winning at jko

( sub'd)

post #9 of 131 Old 03-13-2019, 06:10 AM
Rock God

Youíve peaked my interest. Few things though:
Why 12s? Thatís a lot of body removal for a coilover you can bolt onto a stock jeep.
Why dash brackets instead of a traditional a pillar? Thatís a lot of cutting for a sub-par a-pillar.
Are you going to fully triangulate the lowers, or just slightly?
93í of tube wonít go far. I have about 200í in mine and still probably have another 40í to go.

post #10 of 131 Old 03-13-2019, 06:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Nice looking cage. Looks like you need some side supports though. A roll to the side will likely rack the cage. Are you planning on hard mounting the windshield frame to the cage or use bushings there. There is a ton of body flex on the JK and I would think it would break the glass when flexed out if hard mounted.

Some build info here:

New to jeeps, check this link
post #11 of 131 Old 03-13-2019, 06:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Your box is full chuck.
ChuckTheRipper likes this.

Some build info here:

New to jeeps, check this link
post #12 of 131 Old 03-13-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTheRipper View Post
Youíve peaked my interest. Few things though:
Why 12s? Thatís a lot of body removal for a coilover you can bolt onto a stock jeep.
Why dash brackets instead of a traditional a pillar? Thatís a lot of cutting for a sub-par a-pillar.
Are you going to fully triangulate the lowers, or just slightly?
93í of tube wonít go far. I have about 200í in mine and still probably have another 40í to go.

Thanks for the questions Chuck, answers below:

1. 12's because that's what I have right now. I have tossed around the idea of doing 16's in the back so I can build it in now, but the next suspension upgrade will be to ORI's and I don't want to increase the cost by $3500 at this time. I plan to design my coilover mounts in a way that I can easily raise them when I decide to do the ORI's. The body removal wasn't intended to gain clearance, it was comp cut pretty high already. I wanted to do the cage and knew I'd eventually tube the rear as well so why not do it at the same time and it all ties together.

2. I am not using dash brackets, I am running an a pillar tube through the dash and floor to the frame. I'm glad you posted though, if you don't mind sending me a few pics of where you ran yours through the dash and tied into the frame. I'm getting close to doing those tubes and haven't decided how far to push it into the dash. I have seen pics of Marcus' at RCO and looks like he kept his less into the dash than you did.

3. I am just slightly triangulating the lowers for now, I liked how it performed before the tear down so I didn't want to tweak the geometry too much. If I start running into articulation limits with the lowers, I will build new arms and fully triangulate them.

4. I planned for this to take roughly 150' to 175'. My supplier only had 93.33' in stock at the time I went to pick it up, when I get close to running out, I will call them to order more. I am working on getting another supplier that I have heard has better prices. I paid $7.21/ft at the only supplier in my area that will sell without commercial account.

Chase Weston
post #13 of 131 Old 03-13-2019, 08:06 AM
Rock God

Thanks for the answers. Thatís about what I was expecting but figured Iíd ask. As far as the A pillars I have them about as far into the dash as possible without being in the way of feet. The upper a pillars are extremely tight to the windshield which is what I was aiming for. Im obviously still not done with mine so thatís why some tubes are missing still. I havenít tied it into the frame yet since I havenít had my body on the frame in a while lol.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
post #14 of 131 Old 03-13-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Alright so this project officially commenced on 1/20/19.

Below is after cutting the body, I wanted to wait to cut the frame until I had the tube in possession.

Waiting to bite the bullet on tube, I shaved my 14bolt with the Motobilt 13bolt diff cover.

Next I cut the frame. Seemingly obvious lesson to be learned here would be to cut is square to the frame and don't reference the cut on the body. You will see further down how I somewhat fixed the difference in the box in.

Next was to build a crossmember to strengthen the frame, and box in the existing frame.

On to the bending. I have a JD2 manual bender with a 5.5 CLR die. I mounted it to a piece of 3/8" plate on top of a 3"x3"x.25" tube then welded that to my trailer. I started with the lower frame tube. I smashed my brain for a while calculating all of the angles and dimension constraints I was shooting for with bending it all as one piece but decided to simplify it into 3 tubes and will use D-ring tube ends to finish the ends all in all it turned out well.

Next was the main hoop. Time for another lessons learned.. I bent 14' of tub too wide for what I wanted. I forgot to subtract some "in the bend" inches and i messed it up on the first two bends. No big deal, I have already cut it up and used the straight pieces. I rebent the main hoop with two 80 degree bends, then two 10 degrees (same angle as that the windshield comes in at), then two 30 degrees to meet the lower frame tubes. Below are pics of it tacked in place.

Next up were the A-B tubes. I used the Under Cover Fab windshield brackets to retain the factory windshield mounting. I cut the tubes, notched them, slipped onto the brackets, tacked in place, then removed for final welding of brackets. Time for another lessons learned.. Always check your welder settings. while welding the brackets to the tubes, it didn't feel, look, or sound right. I initially was blaming it on me just having a bad welding day or whatever, screw it, I will grid the majority of them down for the A pillar and overhead spreader, and its not structural to the cage. I put the tubes back in the jeep and tacked in place on the main hoop. Went to final weld them and was getting serious cold joints. I did not like the welds by any means. Long story short, I stupidly just had my buddy turn my material thickness up on the welder and welded the tubes. Still unhappy with the lack of fusion to parent metals, we rechecked the settings, somehow my wire size got switched from .030 to .024 on my Miller autoset. I hadn't touched the welder since the week before when I did the main hoop so I assumed it was where I left it. I ground out the welds, and did new passes with the correct settings, not perfect aesthetically given the molested joint, but it'll stick.

- Pics in next post due to 15 image limit -

I then Final welded the main hoop to the lower frame tubes and the Frame box in plates. I forgot to take pictures of that connection last night so I will update tomorrow.

Thoughts, criticisms, recommendations encouraged.

Chase Weston

Last edited by KnightJK; 03-14-2019 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Fixed Pics
post #15 of 131 Old 03-13-2019, 10:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I can't see the pics, only tiny little boxes.

Kevin
post #16 of 131 Old 03-13-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
I can't see the pics, only tiny little boxes.
Well damn, let me try again. I just uploaded to Flickr and clicked share, copied the link and pasted in insert picture tool.

suggestions?

j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Chase Weston

Last edited by KnightJK; 03-14-2019 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Added Pics mention in post above
post #17 of 131 Old 03-13-2019, 10:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Nice looking cage. Looks like you need some side supports though. A roll to the side will likely rack the cage. Are you planning on hard mounting the windshield frame to the cage or use bushings there. There is a ton of body flex on the JK and I would think it would break the glass when flexed out if hard mounted.

Chuck has half of the B-pillar X already there. Just needs to finish it down to the bottom of the B's. Not sure why he stopped it.

Did you see his windshield? How's he going to know if he gets a new crack?

Are you talking about the factory windshield frame brackets at the top corners of the windshield?

Kevin
post #18 of 131 Old 03-13-2019, 10:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightJK View Post
Well damn, let me try again. I just uploaded to Flickr and clicked share, copied the link and pasted in insert picture tool.

suggestions?
I bought a red star so I can attach pics directly here. If I remember from using photosucket, I had to use the direct link choice I believe. Or something like that.

If I right click on what should be the pics in your post, and copy the image location, I can enter that in the browser and it takes me to your Flickr page with the pic.

Better hurry up.............before this turns into Chucks build thread.

Kevin
post #19 of 131 Old 03-13-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
I bought a red star so I can attach pics directly here. If I remember from using photosucket, I had to use the direct link choice I believe. Or something like that.

If I right click on what should be the pics in your post, and copy the image location, I can enter that in the browser and it takes me to your Flickr page with the pic.

Problem solved with a red star of my own!

Chase Weston
post #20 of 131 Old 03-13-2019, 11:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Still no pics for me

post #21 of 131 Old 03-13-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:

When I drag a pic into the upload area, it shows it uploading then just disappears. Am I missing something?

I'm trying to get you guys pics!

Chase Weston
post #22 of 131 Old 03-13-2019, 01:31 PM
Rock God

Keystone Tubed Backhalf

Sorry for cluttering your thread brother. I canít see the pics either.
Also, the reason I have half the b pillar x there is because Iím not complete yet. You guys must have missed where I said in the first post Iíll have another 40í of tube into it by the time itís complete. I have to notch the floor pan where my front/rear upper brackets are, so Iím doing that before finishing the X.

Also to note, HOLY FUCK on the price you paid for DOM. I get mine at $3.24 a foot.

Also, am I the only one who uses Tapatalk on my iPhone? Itís incredibly easy to upload pics on here.....
post #23 of 131 Old 03-13-2019, 02:31 PM
JKO Addict!

^^tapatalk is Craig proof and easy to post pics. I have way more jeep stuff on the PC but haven't logged on that way in years.

And was able to get the othe pic to show up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com

Last edited by Fklein6768; 03-13-2019 at 02:35 PM.
post #24 of 131 Old 03-13-2019, 03:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightJK View Post
When I drag a pic into the upload area, it shows it uploading then just disappears. Am I missing something?

I'm trying to get you guys pics!
Are you on a phone or computer? I only go on here on a computer.

Hit the little paperclip thingy, which brings up where you browse to get your pics.

Name:  Capture 1.JPG
Views: 199
Size:  160.9 KB

Once you pick them and hit upload, you'll see them listed. You can just X out of that screen now.

Name:  Capture 2.JPG
Views: 200
Size:  78.0 KB

Now when you hit the little attachment thingy, manage attachments should show you the pics you've attached. You can hit the insert all or hit each one as you work your way through your post.

Name:  Capture3.JPG
Views: 192
Size:  61.4 KB

I'm the biggest computer retard in the world, so if I've helped you in any way...........May God have mercy on your soul.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Kevin
post #25 of 131 Old 03-13-2019, 04:26 PM
Granite Guru

Click on Forum - Misc - Test. From there you can test stuff out. Their is also a sticky on how to add pics. Im not sure if that sticky is still valid since the site was rebuilt a few years ago. Just play around til you get it working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode