Brute DC on ...... 40s or 42? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 03-11-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Brute DC on ...... 40s or 42?

So sold my JKU on 40s last year and picked up a 2013 Brute DC on 37s. (Got it from a friend, I’m not your normal brute owner.....)
As normal I managed about a year before serious modification was considered. Last winter I started with the plan of keeping the dynatrac axles and “never” going past 37s. Well that didn’t last long....
The Brute has a 6.4L, auto, pro rock 44/60 set with big brakes and RCVs. 4”ish lift and Fox shocks.

New plan that some parts are on order for right now.....
Dana ultimate 60s, cut down bumpers to clear tires, keeping suspension along for now other than adding air bumps, pSC alum fenders, hydro assist, and a few minor other things.

I DD this rig and we do “overland” plenty as well as wheel plenty. The Brute was never really wheeled by previous owner, still had stock skids with no scratches. Due to the WB trying to decide on tires?..?..? (I put overland in “” because I hate the bandwagon that everyone is on about “overlanding”, last jk we drove 10k miles round trip on 40s to Alaska one Summer) (it’s just driving and wheeling, sometimes with more camping gear than other days) rant over

I am trying to decide 42” Goodyear MTRs or 40” toyos or coopers. I’m hearing that coopers are noisy on the road? Anyone have this opinion?
The MTRs are much lighter but do have a “weaker” sidewall. Anyone running a 42 on something they drive say 10k miles a year?

Planning on method trail series 701 wheels which will set me up for being 1.5” wider per side with the axle than my current setup. I have fit 42s on a buddies JKU back in the day but his was a 3.6 and nutless, so not much comparison for real world use.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 03-11-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Few shots. Only run the topper on some camping trips.
Attached Images

post #3 of 32 Old 03-12-2019, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I like your rig. My fav JKu colors are black & white .

What rocker armor did you add? Looks good 👍

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 03-12-2019, 06:54 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9lj View Post

I am trying to decide 42” Goodyear MTRs or 40” toyos or coopers. I’m hearing that coopers are noisy on the road? Anyone have this opinion?
The MTRs are much lighter but do have a “weaker” sidewall. Anyone running a 42 on something they drive say 10k miles a year?
Beautiful Jeep!!

We run the Cooper STT Pro on both our Jeeps, one in the 37" flavor, the other in 40". I do not find them any noisier than my Toyo MTs were, but a little noisier than the Duratracs (which IMO were too quiet). I feel they run small, and with no 42" available they might not meet your expectations for size.

FWIW My 40s are C rated, very smooth and lighter than the 37" Toyo MTs they replaced. They have great grip off road.

His- 2014 JKUR
Hers- 2018 JK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired- 2016 JKWW
Retired- 2013 JKU
post #5 of 32 Old 03-12-2019, 06:56 AM
Wheeler

Garage

JKUR at 26 PSI

His- 2014 JKUR
Hers- 2018 JK

Retired- 2016 JKWW
Retired- 2013 JKU
post #6 of 32 Old 03-12-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks,
My last Jk was black, my dads is white.

The sliders are RSE step sliders, found the last set in the country for a brute on a storage shelf in TX.
RSE makes some nice sliders for JKs and JLs (although a bit of money)

Good info on the coppers. At least there’s a start.
How are they Offroad?
post #7 of 32 Old 03-12-2019, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Thanks,
My last Jk was black, my dads is white.

The sliders are RSE step sliders, found the last set in the country for a brute on a storage shelf in TX.
RSE makes some nice sliders for JKs and JLs (although a bit of money)

Good info on the coppers. At least there’s a start.
How are they Offroad?
yup. They continue to make very high quality parts, RSE.

the group I am in & that I ride with has some pretty hardcore /experienced offroaders ;more than a handful run the Coopers in 40". The conditions in S.East are varied and demand a lot from tires. Those that have 'em really like them.

post #8 of 32 Old 03-12-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I should add I’m open to 40” Goodyear MTRs as well just for weight savings.
I know the coppers and MtRs are going to run a bit under 40”s
post #9 of 32 Old 03-12-2019, 07:34 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I like the Coopers SO much better than my old Toyos off road!!

Here's my favorite tall tale about the STT Pro; My first trip on them was at SMORR, first ride was some night wheeling. I was second to last Jeep and watching the first 8 Jeeps go up an obstacle along with the tail gunner for that ride. Everyone struggled on this ledge and had to throttle thru it. The tail gunner was suggesting a line and telling me to go throttle down. I told him I was going to try to crawl it first, he chuckled and said OK. I was the only Jeep in the group to crawl the ledge.

Tail gunner came behind me and tried, but failed. He was on 40" Maxxis stickies. Made me feel pretty good about my tire choice

Sorry for the long story.

Here's a vid of my wife driving the next day, this ledge is about 3' or so and wet.

His- 2014 JKUR
Hers- 2018 JK

Retired- 2016 JKWW
Retired- 2013 JKU
post #10 of 32 Old 03-13-2019, 01:56 PM
Rock God

Beautiful Brute! Want to trade before you put that much money into it?

My experience:

MTR's are hell to balance. I too DD and overland...vibrations drive me nuts!

STT Pro's are a great all around tire but like others said, a little small.

Toyo's are just ok. Hard compound and loose traction on the rocks.

My latest tire is my favorite - Procomp Extreme MT2 40". They are the tallest 40" tire on the market, balance well, great road manners, great sidewall strength and traction in almost any condition. I will be putting 37s on the wife's Recon shortly.
Attached Images

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon

Last edited by Rubi-8; 03-13-2019 at 02:04 PM.
post #11 of 32 Old 03-13-2019, 03:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Nice in white

Coopers have been good to me. Balanced well/no issues with regular rotations and have only recently gotten a little louder but nothing crazy. Right at 40k miles on em. More true to size than most also. Not a lot of rocks but snow/mud/wet roads etc have performed excellent.

Had the mtr/kevlar and thought I got a new ride when I got the coopers. Will be grabbing another set of these when they need to be replaced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #12 of 32 Old 03-13-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I dig the jk8 but whole reason for 4 doors is more space long term. I plan to own this thing a long time.

Interesting had not considered the pro comp. I ran them on a truck for a while but always seemed very very hard. For the road miles they were great, but didn’t off-road much with them.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone know if 42” Goodyear’s run undersized ?

My wheels are on back order for a week or 2. And my axles are somewhere lost in the snow storm so I guess I wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-8 View Post

My experience:

My latest tire is my favorite - Procomp Extreme MT2 40". They are the tallest 40" tire on the market, balance well, great road manners, great sidewall strength and traction in almost any condition. I will be putting 37s on the wife's Recon shortly.
post #13 of 32 Old 03-13-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Good to know they work in snow and wet. That isn’t too often here but we do go to CO a few times a year for wheeling and winter fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fklein6768 View Post
Nice in white

Coopers have been good to me. Balanced well/no issues with regular rotations and have only recently gotten a little louder but nothing crazy. Right at 40k miles on em. More true to size than most also. Not a lot of rocks but snow/mud/wet roads etc have performed excellent.

Had the mtr/kevlar and thought I got a new ride when I got the coopers. Will be grabbing another set of these when they need to be replaced.

post #14 of 32 Old 03-13-2019, 07:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

With that wheelbase and the fact that you have some HP, I say run the biggest tires you can live with on the road.

Kevin
post #15 of 32 Old 03-14-2019, 11:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Was curious what mine measure out to and they are 35.5" at 25psi on a 17x9 rim in the 37x12.5 variety with 40k miles. I think I can fit a 40 without too much fanfare with those #'s.

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #16 of 32 Old 03-16-2019, 02:09 PM

Sweet looking rig way better than any gladiator coming out.. personally i think 40s are the best all around option you are looking for. There are many reliable, tried and true companies out there that will perform well on and off road and give you long tread life. I know "bigger is better" in the jeep world but when it comes to 42s is almost counter productive. You can practically do anything on 40s so 42s there no real advantage besides if you like the looks better. Not to mention Ive heard more bad things than good about mtrs weak sidewall, bitch to balance etc. Again just my .02

2010 Stone White JKUR
05+ Dana 60/ 01 14 bolt
5.38s/ Arbs
3 link/ coilovers
post #17 of 32 Old 03-16-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Some boxes showed up...

So measured my 37” toyos on the Jeep that are mounted to a 9” wide wheel. They are only 36” tall. Measured some 40” coopers at 39” tall. And a Goodyear 37” tire on a 8.5” wide wheel and it was actually 37”.

Anyone running 42s on 69” wide axles chime in with back spacing and frame/link and grille clearance at full lock?
Attached Images

post #18 of 32 Old 03-16-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thank you!

Thanks for the info. I ran 40s on the last JKU and really never once thought that “if I had 42s I could have made that”. It’s really not much different.....1” of ground clearance more is all I gain.

Being I really don’t want to run bead locks again, I am limited to 8.5” wheel with a 4.75” back spacing or a 9” wide wheel with a 4.5” back spacing.
I really don’t think a 42” x14.5 Goodyear will fit with a 4.5” BS on a 69” wide axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Rubicon View Post
Sweet looking rig way better than any gladiator coming out.. personally i think 40s are the best all around option you are looking for. There are many reliable, tried and true companies out there that will perform well on and off road and give you long tread life. I know "bigger is better" in the jeep world but when it comes to 42s is almost counter productive. You can practically do anything on 40s so 42s there no real advantage besides if you like the looks better. Not to mention Ive heard more bad things than good about mtrs weak sidewall, bitch to balance etc. Again just my .02
post #19 of 32 Old 03-16-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ok back to this. Can you measure the height of your mt2s?
And looks like they are on the lighter side at about 90lbs each. Do you think they are this light?
Looks like they have a 40k mileage warantee which would be nice!

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-8 View Post

My experience:

post #20 of 32 Old 03-17-2019, 09:54 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Thank you!

Thanks for the info. I ran 40s on the last JKU and really never once thought that “if I had 42s I could have made that”. It’s really not much different.....1” of ground clearance more is all I gain.

Being I really don’t want to run bead locks again, I am limited to 8.5” wheel with a 4.75” back spacing or a 9” wide wheel with a 4.5” back spacing.
I really don’t think a 42” x14.5 Goodyear will fit with a 4.5” BS on a 69” wide axle.
If that is the wheel backspace you are dead set on running, a 40" tire will probably rub a little, 42" would be a mess. I run a 72" front and 73" rear with a 4" backspace on pbr 41.5" and is just enough for the front. I want to run a 43" when they release one, may just have to limit my steering an extra degree or two. Most of the guys running ultimate 60s and 40s will tell you a 3.5-4" backspace is ideal. Why don't you want to run beadlocks?
post #21 of 32 Old 03-17-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

A friend of mine ran ultimate 60s with either a 4 or 3.5” back spacing (can’t remember, but I believe it was 4). He ran a 40 and 41.5 pbr with proper axle placement. I don’t believe it rubbed at all.

Ran beadlocks on the last truck and they didn’t provide much advantage vs the negatives. Hard to get them rotated on road trips, like say 10k miles to Alaska. Heavier, and lastly I am that guy who has actually been pulled over by a police officer, on a trip, and was questioned about them. Luckily didn’t get a ticket or impounded, but only because he didn’t look too closely, and well I may or may not have said they were fake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellstig1 View Post
If that is the wheel backspace you are dead set on running, a 40" tire will probably rub a little, 42" would be a mess. I run a 72" front and 73" rear with a 4" backspace on pbr 41.5" and is just enough for the front. I want to run a 43" when they release one, may just have to limit my steering an extra degree or two. Most of the guys running ultimate 60s and 40s will tell you a 3.5-4" backspace is ideal. Why don't you want to run beadlocks?
post #22 of 32 Old 03-20-2019, 10:56 AM
V8 dreams

i think i remember your old JK being badass, but this brute is just beautiful man!

on to tires, I've had toyo open country, trail grapplers, mud grapplers, and now the cooper...all in 37, so i can't give you a 40" comparison, but the only tire more noisy than the cooper was the mud grappler(to be expected lol). I kind of like it, but that's pretty subjective and only you would know if it'd bug ya on a 10k mile trek

2010 Silver JKU
post #23 of 32 Old 03-21-2019, 11:16 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Ok back to this. Can you measure the height of your mt2s?
And looks like they are on the lighter side at about 90lbs each. Do you think they are this light?
Looks like they have a 40k mileage warantee which would be nice!

Thanks

Sorry I was gone a few days. Jeep weighs 6170lbs, Raceline beadlocks 9.75" wheels with 30psi the tires are at 39".

Tires are light yet strong sidewall. I push them with 72" WMS and 3.5"BS wheels makes me pretty wide on the trails but have yet to puncture anything even with 6psi.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #24 of 32 Old 03-21-2019, 05:25 PM

Cool

Quote:
A friend of mine ran ultimate 60s with either a 4 or 3.5” back spacing (can’t remember, but I believe it was 4). He ran a 40 and 41.5 pbr with proper axle placement. I don’t believe it rubbed at all.

Ran beadlocks on the last truck and they didn’t provide much advantage vs the negatives. Hard to get them rotated on road trips, like say 10k miles to Alaska. Heavier, and lastly I am that guy who has actually been pulled over by a police officer, on a trip, and was questioned about them. Luckily didn’t get a ticket or impounded, but only because he didn’t look too closely, and well I may or may not have said they were fake.
Hmm 42s and non beadlocks may be a little tricky..how low do you usually air down? I ran the poor mans beadlock on my old 44's and 37s but now I run 13.5s on a 7.5 wide super duty wheel till I save up for beadlocks. I run a 1.5 spacer up front thats 72 wms cause I didn't wanna risk not clearing my highsteer so worst case scenario you can always throw a spacer up front if you decide on 42s and theres rubbing issues. As long as you find a set that you like, is the proper width, and are mindful of tire pressure not having beadlocks I think you'll be fine especially since you're not rock crawling I'd just hate to see you pop a bead and ruin a trip. Theres a trade off with everything so you have to do whats best for you. Lastly idk if spinning tubes on UD 60s was quality control or a fluke or what but you might want to weld the tubes for peace of mind with that 6.4...I doubt it'd happen with what you're doing but I'd rather you know and be able to make the educated decision

2010 Stone White JKUR
05+ Dana 60/ 01 14 bolt
5.38s/ Arbs
3 link/ coilovers
post #25 of 32 Old 03-22-2019, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Axle tubes will get welded. Already CNC cut a gusset kit for track bars and welded up the prone to tear brackets. Turned out really nice.

As for pressures rarely lower than 10 psi and yes I have lost a bead below this. Doesn’t ruin a trip just a hiccup. I know many including myself like and see the point for beadlocks on more dedicated off-road rigs. But really can only name one time in 5 years where I was really glad I had them.

At this moment my decision has mostly been made..... maybe
Leaning towards the Raceline defender for wheels. And a Pro comp mt2 in a 40x13.5r17. They have a 40k mileage warranty.

Planned on Goodyear MTR but have looking at some here next to the Brute not sure it would be worth the 1” more ground clearance. Also many say the are a pain to balance this big.
As much as I would prefer to run 42s the 40s make more sense at the moment.

Thanks for all the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode