Whatever happened to Off Road Heroes / California Tops? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-02-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Whatever happened to Off Road Heroes / California Tops?

Curious what happened to them. Seem to have disappeared off all social media, web, etc. Owner gifted me a multi-top a number of years ago. Really nice fellow.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-03-2019, 08:00 AM
Wheeler

That is a real shame. I absolutely love the SUT top on my 4 door. I have never seen someone with one and it's been years since I bought it. I got the one with both SUT and Fastback and have never used the fastback. I even installed a tray out back and mount my Hi-Lift up high on the crossbars. Slant back on rear tire too. It's a one of a kind Jeep.

I am going to use wayback machine and find his phone number. See if he is still making tops? I may order a second in case he goes completely out of business.

It takes a giant leap of faith to buy this top. I read every forum post before buying and thought it would be 50/50 whether it worked out. The key? Just call him and leave a voicemail. He was excellent about returning calls. And would talk as long as I wanted on the phone... ask 100 questions and he was super cool.

He is a 100% custom build. The top actually came to me in different boxes a month apart. He gets your money, puts you in the queue and will stitch your top when it's time. Waits can be very long, but as long as you use the phone, he is beyond responsive.

I think he never got on board with the internet and social media. Honestly, I don't think he had to. Everything was by word of mouth. He had more than enough business to make a nice living in a shop behind a house.

The top? Fantastic. I have beat the thing to death and it keeps coming back to life. One of the best purchases I ever made for my JKU. With that said... I am a little worried now. I can't go back to a fastback, so think I will call him, ask him to build another and I will just keep it in storage.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-03-2019, 08:07 AM
Wheeler

CONTACT INFO
Phone: 780-432-8144
OFFROADHEROS
P.O.Box 21161
EDMONTON, Alberta T6H2X4
CANADA

Found the phone number and already left a voicemail. Fingers crossed that he still makes them. I will buy another tomorrow. Like I said... not for faint of heart. But once you talk to him, you will feel very confident the top will be delivered. Just old school...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-03-2019, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlieko View Post
That is a real shame. I absolutely love the SUT top on my 4 door. I have never seen someone with one and it's been years since I bought it. I got the one with both SUT and Fastback and have never used the fastback. I even installed a tray out back and mount my Hi-Lift up high on the crossbars. Slant back on rear tire too. It's a one of a kind Jeep.

I am going to use wayback machine and find his phone number. See if he is still making tops? I may order a second in case he goes completely out of business.

It takes a giant leap of faith to buy this top. I read every forum post before buying and thought it would be 50/50 whether it worked out. The key? Just call him and leave a voicemail. He was excellent about returning calls. And would talk as long as I wanted on the phone... ask 100 questions and he was super cool.

He is a 100% custom build. The top actually came to me in different boxes a month apart. He gets your money, puts you in the queue and will stitch your top when it's time. Waits can be very long, but as long as you use the phone, he is beyond responsive.

I think he never got on board with the internet and social media. Honestly, I don't think he had to. Everything was by word of mouth. He had more than enough business to make a nice living in a shop behind a house.

The top? Fantastic. I have beat the thing to death and it keeps coming back to life. One of the best purchases I ever made for my JKU. With that said... I am a little worried now. I can't go back to a fastback, so think I will call him, ask him to build another and I will just keep it in storage.
He had a Facebook page and we connected because he as a fan of a band I played with. Seems he just disappered suddenly, but right after he said he'd gotten some new machinery and took on an employee. During Easter Jeep Safari 2017 the owner of Bestop, Tom Tuttle was on the Golden Spike run with us and liked the ORH fastback top I had on at the time. He asked about the company and gave me his contact info to forward on to Tim. Tim never called the guy, said he just wanted to stay independent. You can lead a horse to water, but....

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-05-2019, 05:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlieko View Post
CONTACT INFO

Phone: 780-432-8144

OFFROADHEROS

P.O.Box 21161

EDMONTON, Alberta T6H2X4

CANADA

Found the phone number and already left a voicemail. Fingers crossed that he still makes them. I will buy another tomorrow. Like I said... not for faint of heart. But once you talk to him, you will feel very confident the top will be delivered. Just old school...
I have one I never got around to installing....I have just been running the regular softop windowless/safari style and have another soft top to replace that one at some point.

Only ever saw one other and that was the ever entertaining Dancin Dan rig.

You ever near Jersey hit me with a PM I'll sell you mine-

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode