Strange Brake Issue.. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-01-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Strange Brake Issue..

08 JKU with 2.5" lift and 33s.

Brake pads replaced around 3k miles ago. Driving today and the right front (passenger side) brake caliper started dragging and you could smell the pads getting hot, turned around and took it home.

Took wheel off and removed caliper and pads and all seemed ok, put it back together and went for a test ride and the freaking left front (Drivers side) caliper started dragging and heating up the pads just like the right side had done.

Any ideas why or what would cause this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-01-2019, 06:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Are you on the original calipers? If so would imagine some funk buildup in the caliper is now in play post the pad replacement. I have lost count on what # I am on replacement wise in the rear. I have a big brake kit up front and dont have issues with those calipers at all. The stock ones are crap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #3 of 15 Old 03-01-2019, 06:22 PM
Rock God

Over the years, has the brake system ever been flushed, or at least bled until new fluid comes out?
If not, corrosion on the brake pistons may be the problem. With the new pads, the piston gets pushed back to an area in the caliper that it hasn't been in years. If there is corrosion in the caliper bore, it can make the pistons stick.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-01-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Its the original calipers. Just strange it would drag on the right then after checking and putting it back together it started on the other side the same way..

All I did was compress the caliper and reinstall the pads. What is the possibility of both calipers failing at the same time??
post #5 of 15 Old 03-02-2019, 06:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viaqua View Post
Its the original calipers. Just strange it would drag on the right then after checking and putting it back together it started on the other side the same way..

All I did was compress the caliper and reinstall the pads. What is the possibility of both calipers failing at the same time??
Pretty common depending on local. Here in the NE brine zone is pretty bad. You can buy some time by spraying behind the seal with copious amounts of brake clean when you do pads. Based on the timing I would suspect like noted above you got some sticking after pushing the caliper cups back in when u did the pads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #6 of 15 Old 03-02-2019, 11:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Mine used to do that from time to time. Mostly heading down my dirt driveway. But it would apply a single front brake. I could feel it drag for 10' or so, then it would let off, another 20' reapply. Sometimes it would apply the brake hard enough to lock it up.

Couple times when driving around town it did it too.

This was all without me ever touching the brake peddle.

Kevin
post #7 of 15 Old 03-02-2019, 03:56 PM
JKO Addict!

I'd recommend removing the mounting pins, cleaning thoroughly and reinstalling with new boots and brake lubricant.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-02-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Replaced calipers and flushed system, seems to be working ok for now.

Other than buying new calipers from Autozone and getting them home and one of them was an old core someone had put in a new box..
post #9 of 15 Old 03-03-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Angry New Development!!

Drove to work all was fine.

On the way home (3 miles) light stop-go traffic and by the time I get home its pulling/snatching to the right again..
post #10 of 15 Old 03-03-2019, 05:14 PM
Granite Guru

When you changed the calipers did you pinch off the brake hoses?

2014 JKUR, 2.5 JKS lift, Poison Spyder flares and covers
post #11 of 15 Old 03-03-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Didn't pinch hoses, let them run fluid until I connected the new caliper. Hoses do look to be the factory hoses. They aren't stretched or pinched or anything.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-04-2019, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

What is going on with these brakes??

So I decide to drive to work only 3 miles from home.

Brakes feel a little spongy but still work fine, soon as it feels like its starting to pump up and build pressure after a few roundabouts and red lights it starts pulling again to the right.

Why would it be fine until it builds pressure? Only thing I haven't replaced so far is the hoses..
post #13 of 15 Old 03-04-2019, 06:42 AM
Granite Guru

Hoses can be difficult to diagnose. The few times that they were the culprit for me it took cutting them up to see what was wrong.
I would jack the vehicle up and pump the shit out of he brakes until they were dragging, then crack the bleeders to see if they release.

2014 JKUR, 2.5 JKS lift, Poison Spyder flares and covers
post #14 of 15 Old 03-04-2019, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee View Post
Hoses can be difficult to diagnose. The few times that they were the culprit for me it took cutting them up to see what was wrong.
I would jack the vehicle up and pump the shit out of he brakes until they were dragging, then crack the bleeders to see if they release.
Thanks,

I will try that for sure. It seems to be something mechanical since there's no dash lights or brake light warnings popping up.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-04-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Was told by a guy I work with that he had a similar problem but it was wheel sensors.

Anyone have any experience with wheel sensors causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode