Cutting front bump stop tubes - questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-19-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Cutting front bump stop tubes - questions

Hey gang, I'm going to be fitting some King Air Bumps but I would imagine this question applies to any other bump stop that fits inside the stock tubes.

How do I get a clean cut?

I was thinking to use a couple of hose clamps on the tubes as guides to get a good cut with minimal filling/adjustment.

Any other tips?

I was going to use a cordless sawzall but am wondering if a portable/cordless band saw would be a better choice. I have been itching to add to my small Milwaukee Fuel collection anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-19-2019, 06:40 PM
Wheeler

If any band saw would fit that would be your ticket, but I don't think you'll get any band saw in there. A pneumatic cut off wheel is what I would use. Go slow and straight. When done use small sanding drums or files to deburr it.

18 JKU Granite Crystal- 4"lift, 40s, UD60s
07 Red Rock Crystal JKU - Sold
post #3 of 6 Old 02-19-2019, 07:59 PM
Rock God

Might be a good application for that 9" angle grinder we wish we didn't need to own. When I was cutting mine out I do recall it was a real pain to get cutting tools in there and I definitely used the 9" grinder to go all the way through because a 4.5" grinder can't get all the way through, and you can't get a 3" cutoff-tool behind it due to the body being in the way if I recall correctly. A dremel, 20 pack of reinforced disks, and a lot of patience would be my fall back if I didn't want to mess with the 9" grinder (which honestly I hate that tool, so dangerous and clumsy, I'd probably just give it an hour and do it with the dremel myself if I were going for a perfectly flat bottom).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-20-2019, 07:28 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Did this a couple months back on a buddy's JK. Just take a sawzall too it and take your time. Once you get through it deburr it with a file and hit it with some spray paint. In hindsight I probably would have scored it with a dremel first to keep the sawzall blade from jumping at the start. IMHO that's the quickest and easiest way. Good Luck!

You can have a savings account or a Jeep.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-04-2019, 10:25 AM
Wheeler

I tried the sawzall method and lost. A grinder large enough to grind the whole thing flat afterwards would probably work. I need to figure out how to get mine flat and straight before I put the rebuilt bump in. Yes, I lost one one the highway at 70MPH and found it the next day. Here is what it looked like:
post #6 of 6 Old 03-06-2019, 08:43 AM
Granite Guru

Just cut it as straight as you can with a sawzall and true it up with a flapper disc on your grinder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode