Gear Check - JK 5.13 Yukon rear - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 02-14-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Gear Check - JK 5.13 Yukon rear

Anyone have any input on the pattern on my 5.13 I just had installed? JK 5.13 Yukon gear rear Rubicon
Attached Images

Last edited by j_colter; 02-18-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-14-2019, 06:13 PM
Granite Guru

Looks good to me.

08 Jk Unlimited Rubicon

Link to build page-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 Old 02-14-2019, 06:19 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08JKUR33 View Post
Looks good to me.
For what it's worth, I agree
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 02-14-2019, 06:23 PM
Granite Guru

Looks good, what's your backlash set at.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 28 Old 02-14-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Had a shop do the gears as I have too many pieces of this project on the go. New Ring and Pinion btw. Pinion drag is ~25 inch lbs. Totally forgot to check what they had the backlash set at..just checked only 2-2.5 thou. Spec says it should be 6-10... I'm guessing I need to fix it? How bad is it if it's this tight?
post #6 of 28 Old 02-15-2019, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

It's a bit tight but that's better that the opposite. Plus, as long as bathed in sweet , honey nectar 85w-140 or 90w-140 ( cough* Amsoil *cough*severegear ) I actually would probably run it , personally. I had approx tighten shim adjustment up from when I installed my autolocker at about 3.0 thousanths and it needed 6-10. It's held up fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 28 Old 02-15-2019, 09:04 AM
Rock God

Don't worry, it will clearance itself.
post #8 of 28 Old 02-15-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Called the Yukon gear tech line their take was get it in spec as it's much to tight which is expected from them I guess. I called the shop that did the install and he said it "was" at 6 thou and if its at 2.5 then bring it back and he'll adjust the shims. Hopefully pattern doesn't get messed with when he does... Think I might just have to make myself a case spreader, reliance on shops is just no fun, with all this back and forth I should have just done them myself.
mmilburn likes this.
post #9 of 28 Old 02-15-2019, 07:27 PM
Rock God

I bet 2-2.5 would fail in short order. People definitely say to be on the low end, and if you're 1-2 thou below the low end you're usually going to be fine. This is just far too low for my comfort though. Basically if the range is 6-10, I'd rather have 5 than 11, or even 9, but I wouldn't even drive out of the garage on 2. When you run the math on how much the geometry changes over temperature, it gets pretty scary and even 6-10 starts to look amazing that it doesn't grenade, there's not much extra margin in these numbers (hence why it's a precision installation). Too high and they make bad sounds and may break from shock-load, too low and they'll go into interference and just grenade.
post #10 of 28 Old 02-19-2019, 08:39 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_colter View Post
Called the Yukon gear tech line their take was get it in spec as it's much to tight which is expected from them I guess. I called the shop that did the install and he said it "was" at 6 thou and if its at 2.5 then bring it back and he'll adjust the shims. Hopefully pattern doesn't get messed with when he does... Think I might just have to make myself a case spreader, reliance on shops is just no fun, with all this back and forth I should have just done them myself.
Why are you checking work a shop did?
are you sure you are accurately measuring the backlash? dana 44 ring gears are a lot smaller than 14 bolts and the backlash specs are a lot smaller. a measurement error on a dana 44 ring gear and easily run 5 thousandth or more. can you feel the backlash at all? can you see the ring gear move before the indicator moves? at 2 thou, you usually cant feel any backlash. You also don't usually get a pattern that centered with it so tight as it will usually be too deep.
post #11 of 28 Old 02-19-2019, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Why am I checking, because I prefer to be sure things are correct before I install it, especially after having my previous gear set blow up. The old set did have a lot of kms on it and many of them hard so I'd prefer not to take a chance that something was missed when the shop set them up which would potentially mean early failure. I would have done it myself (and should have at this point now that I have to drive the axle back) but didn't have a case spreader and figured I would save a bit of time having someone else do the setup well I worked on the many other things I have to do (long arm install, new steering box, new front axle shafts, etc). I'm confident in what I measured. I made up an extension bar to hold the pinion in place and have a proper dial indicator with magnetic base. Checked the backlash in multiple spots around the ring gear. Used a box wrench on the ring gear bolt to make sure I was fully cycling the ring gear back and forth well checking the backlash. Also when I called the shop to let them know the backlash wasn't in spec, the tech who worked on it said if it's wrong bring it back and he'll adjust it. No push back so my guess is he checked it initially during setup and during the final install forgot to double check.
post #12 of 28 Old 02-20-2019, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Just tryin to be helpful by reminding OP that, just as the quality photo assisted
your question asked in opening comment was aided by the image, so too could
further comments in the thread ,maybe.
YouTube "share" links are simple " copy, paste into body of comment " and go Save to add to your comments. Brief video uploaded to the 'Tube then used to illustrate some actions and technical scenario can really make a difference.

post #13 of 28 Old 03-07-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Went back to the shop, he said he used the shop dial indicator and not his which he didn't have at the shop that day and the shop one had read 5 thou, even though it was much less when he checked with his... In the end he fixed the backlash and its now at 9-10 thou which is a bit on the high side of the spec of 6-10 but at least its in spec. Will do the break in and double check the backlash after. Made my own case spreader so I have it going forwards
post #14 of 28 Old 03-07-2019, 04:51 PM
Granite Guru

Interested in seeing your home made case spreader. Care to post some pics?

"It's not the critic who counts..." T. Roosevelt
post #15 of 28 Old 03-07-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

@MicroMark

Use a diff cover gasket to find the hole centers for drilling.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
post #16 of 28 Old 04-07-2019, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Jeep back on the road and started the break-in for the rear gears (finally). Used the champion 80w90 that Northridge sent with the Yukon gears.

69 kms with no rear shaft installed so no drive load on the gears. Easy driving short trips with cooling.
New rear drive shaft installed as I was doing a long arm kit and did the rear shaft at the same time.
32 kms 1st cool, 43 kms 2nd cool, 20 kms 3rd cool, 28 kms 4th cool, 13 kms 5th cool, 31 kms 6th cool

So 69 kms without rear shaft and 235 with rear shaft in. Checked the fluid level and the magnetic drain plug had a fair amount of metal shavings on it so decided to pull the cover and put clean fluid in.

Pics attached of the old oil that came out and the drain plugs on the arb diff cover. Seems like a lot of metal, especially on the drain plug, thoughts anyone?? Is the color of the oil ok?

Pics attached of the gears which I am not sure look good or not, there is a light step I can just barely feel with a pick on both the coast and drive side of the gear by the root of the tooth. Is this ok? The wear pattern is very obvious on the coast side of the gear in the pics.
Also wondering if the wear should be further down closer to the root of the tooth?

There is also a mark on each tooth coast side about 1/3 from the outside which seems really strange that can be seen in the pics (it's a bit hard to see in the pics but was obvious when I looked at the ring gear).

New oil put in, Lucas non synthetic 85W-140 as the local parts store had it and I saw it recommended on east coast gears site for break-in.

Pics in next post
post #17 of 28 Old 04-07-2019, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Pics for previous post
Attached Images

post #18 of 28 Old 04-08-2019, 07:22 AM
Rock God

No nothing about that is ok. The fluid looks awful, you have an inch long pillar of metal on your magnetic plug, and the gears look destroyed (although I'm not an expert on that, someone tell me if I'm wrong there, but you should just see a pattern after a brief break in, not a complete lapping of the entire teeth). After my 500 mile break in on my gear setup, there was a small film of metal particles on the plug, and the fluid looked basically new.

Did you get that 2.5 backlash fixed? Who is doing these gears? They sound very unqualified.
post #19 of 28 Old 04-08-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Lovely... I did get the backlash fixed was set to 9 which is in spec for Yukon gears spec.

I guess I am looking for thoughts on if I am screwed and need to redo the gears

Is this even usable in the short term??
post #20 of 28 Old 04-08-2019, 09:12 AM
Rock God

I have not set up gears in a few years but the wear pattern I am looking at appears as if the pinion is not deep enough. You want your drive and coast pattern focused in the center of the ring teeth.
post #21 of 28 Old 04-08-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

One thing I forgot to mention was a new elocker factory style went in at the same time.
post #22 of 28 Old 04-08-2019, 02:48 PM
Rock God

Are they howling or making noise? Gear fluid can get nasty in a hurry on a new set of gears. Maybe keep an eye on it but not terrified to drive it. Seal it up, change the oil, and drive it until it gives you a reason not too.

*EDIT* that material on the drain plug does seem really excessive.... and the fluid shouldn't have more flake in it than a bass boat.

Last edited by Dkjeep; 04-08-2019 at 02:50 PM.
post #23 of 28 Old 04-08-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

No noise so far I have noticed. just got worried when I pulled the dip stick and it had the very off color and swirl too it, and it had a fair amount of material stuck to its magnet. Then once I got all the fluid out and saw how bad it was and the amount stuck to the main drain plug I got much more concerned. Figured I would get some opinions on how the gears looked before I went back to the shop.

Added more pics in the next post.
-Better pic where you can see the mark on each tooth's coast side and you can see the wear pattern a bit better. seems like the wear is all center and heel and the toe isn't being engaged to me but I could be reading it wrong.
-closer shots of the faces of the teeth
-couple of the pinion gear
-You can see the outer edge on these shots as well
-Can also see how much of the tooth looks untouched at the root

BTW, thanks for the feedback everyone.
post #24 of 28 Old 04-08-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

pics from previous post
Attached Images

post #25 of 28 Old 04-08-2019, 07:06 PM
Rock God

Its hard to tell from pics but if you can hang a fingernail on the wear I'd say that's not good at all. It definitely looks bad for 500 miles though. Are they ruined, I don't know....

These were new?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode