37s on a 2010 2dr Wrangler Sport questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 02-12-2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

37s on a 2010 2dr Wrangler Sport questions

Gotta 100% stock 2010 2dr Wrangler Sport that is a 3.8l 6 speed manual. I wanna toss on a 3.5 Metalcloak Game Changer lift/suspension kit on with some 37s under it. From my understanding this model Jeep comes with a dana30 in the front. People are telling me that I should switch the front Dana30 for off-roading. I'm ok with doing that once I'm ready for it. However, I'd like to pay the jeep off a bit before I take it off road. So I'm wondering if the Dana30 would be sufficient for normal highway use for a while? once I'm ready, I'd be looking at something like the Dynatrac ProRock 44.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-12-2019, 06:56 AM
JKO Addict!

You will be fine. Just dont slide into anything sideways...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 Old 02-12-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
You will be fine. Just dont slide into anything sideways...
Good to know. Is there maybe some things i should consider reinforcing while running the D30? Also, should I regear the front and rear? I've read some people say 4.88 is best and others say 5.13. Again, its a 3.8L 6 speed manual transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 02-12-2019, 07:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlugo29 View Post
Good to know. Is there maybe some things i should consider reinforcing while running the D30? Also, should I regear the front and rear? I've read some people say 4.88 is best and others say 5.13. Again, its a 3.8L 6 speed manual transmission.
I would go 5.13. You can add c gussets which are a very cheap piece of insurance (I would definitely do them). You can also add a truss and/or sleeve. Just a matter of how much you want to spend on something you know you are going to replace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 Old 02-12-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help.
post #6 of 28 Old 02-12-2019, 09:33 PM
Rock God

Garage

Don't spend a dime on the turdy. Wait til it breaks and swap in a 44 or 60. Don't throw good money away.
Ymmv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #7 of 28 Old 02-13-2019, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
Don't spend a dime on the turdy. Wait til it breaks and swap in a 44 or 60. Don't throw good money away.
Ymmv.
Don't reinforce it or regear it? Or both
post #8 of 28 Old 02-13-2019, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Welcome , congrats on the new to you 2010 JK and do yourself a massive favor & use the search delimiter available on Googled crawler engine by searching just this site's content ( search for --->" D30 site: jkowners.com " without quotes) and read.
Other than the middle bits ( pinion gear and Ring gear ) & maybe the carrier breakover , the 30 and 44 Dana's are same strength. The D30 HP that is in your Sport is absolutely suited for your use case scenario & as long as you don't bounce it up & off of ledges , go airborne or slide sideways at over 5mph into curbs , it will absolutely serve you fine.

It gets questionable to most to spend large bill $ on it when usually guys that wheel very hard are naturally going to want 37s or larger so sure , you'd want beefier housings with more torque capable innards to sustain the energy. However, I continue to run very light 37s and cheap but stout alloy wheels and honestly wheel the piss out of a maxed out D30.
I don't recommend spending what I have on yours but since I tow , crawl not over 2-3mph and have beefed it up pretty well, it continues to surprise me .

I have video to back my claim up . I actually spent a wheeling season trying to f it up but was unsuccessful.

If your just wheeling lite and daily driving 37s on a 2 door around town , as long as you look at the total weight you are putting in the form of your proposed tire/wheel combo and do not put steel streetlocks that weigh 32lbs apiece with a 92lb Nitto or Pitbull 37" tire ( IOWs keep it around 100lbs total weight Max) and have it gussetted around the Cs , you'll be fine.

5.13 is a nice gearing for pushing larger wheels. You'll always want the next size of gearing so go ahead and get 5.13 . 3.73 is max breakover size of D30 carrier. If you have stock 3.73s you will be ok. Read all the info on this crazy , highly subjective topic . I'm about to get flamed to Hell because I've told you this naughty little morsel of knowledge....

Donut707 and libordemise like this.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 02-13-2019 at 05:53 AM.
post #9 of 28 Old 02-13-2019, 06:44 AM
Wheeler

I was in your position years ago and asked all the same questions you are. And what I figured out is most the answers that will be given are from people who haven't actually ran a 37 on a dana 30 or dont ride on the same terrain as you. I'm not sure where you live but i live on the gulf coast and pretty much just mud ride but I do occasionally get in some off camber situations. I ran 37s on the stock dana 37 for 6yrs and close to 60k miles. I never bent anything and believe it or not, I ran them with 3.73 gears. I had originally had the plans to regear but on our flat roads I wasnt bothered by the loss of power. 4wd high wasnt always useful but 4wd low helped when needed. I am now in the process of building a custom long arm lift and running 42s on 1ton axles. I attached a pic of my jeep on 37s
Attached Images

j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

11' unlimited sport mango tango
post #10 of 28 Old 02-13-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely read up a bit more using that search function. I'm new to all this but I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting the bug to do some heavier stuff. But for now I just wanna take it lite and save up for down the road. I live in Ohio where it's pretty flat and muddy
post #11 of 28 Old 02-13-2019, 01:36 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Ymmv.
I wouldnt bother regearing the 30. Figure it’ll cost what about $1000 to regear just the front? That will include new bearings, ring, pinion and labor to set the gears. If you added a selectable locker that’s about $2000. Shit your half way to a descent front 44 housing with all the goodies. Keep in mind even if you do regear you still have the shitty jk brackets and 2.5” tubes not to mention a Dana 30 r & p. Do yourself a favor and get a crate axle with a locker and gears of your choice and regear the rear to match. Don’t waste your money on a semi float rear 60. If you can’t afford the front housing right now no worries just run your 30 until you can afford it. It will not self destruct when you’re going down the road
post #12 of 28 Old 02-14-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLarry View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Ymmv.

I wouldnt bother regearing the 30. Figure it’ll cost what about $1000 to regear just the front? That will include new bearings, ring, pinion and labor to set the gears. If you added a selectable locker that’s about $2000. Shit your half way to a descent front 44 housing with all the goodies. Keep in mind even if you do regear you still have the shitty jk brackets and 2.5” tubes not to mention a Dana 30 r & p. Do yourself a favor and get a crate axle with a locker and gears of your choice and regear the rear to match. Don’t waste your money on a semi float rear 60. If you can’t afford the front housing right now no worries just run your 30 until you can afford it. It will not self destruct when you’re going down the road
Makes sense to me!
post #13 of 28 Old 02-14-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Just curious if you guys would go with12.5 wide tires or can I make 13.5 work (which is what I really want
post #14 of 28 Old 02-15-2019, 08:15 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Both. Some people swear by a 30. I was never hardcore but I've seen open 30s break gears, seen one break a housing with 31s I think. I haven't seen a 60 snap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #15 of 28 Old 02-16-2019, 03:54 PM
Rock God

I built up the stock Dana 44. Mainly because I could do it incrementally, without too much spousal scrutiny. So, my costs.
Regear 5.13ís kept stock locker. $1400 front and rear
Truss and Cís $800
RCVís. $1500
Reid Knuckles. $700
BBK. $800
Total. $5200

Itís enough to make your wallet cry. Spacing out a Dana 44 on the Fusion 4x4 site had it at $5688. That is with the ARB locker included and the Reid knuckles. It Is probably worth just ordering one.
post #16 of 28 Old 02-16-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Scooter View Post
I built up the stock Dana 44. Mainly because I could do it incrementally, without too much spousal scrutiny. So, my costs.
Regear 5.13’s kept stock locker. $1400 front and rear
Truss and C’s $800
RCV’s. $1500
Reid Knuckles. $700
BBK. $800
Total. $5200

It’s enough to make your wallet cry. Spacing out a Dana 44 on the Fusion 4x4 site had it at $5688. That is with the ARB locker included and the Reid knuckles. It Is probably worth just ordering one.
Great break down. I'm gonna follow the suggestions of keeping it stock for now. However I might purchase a housing and build it up incrementally in the garage. Like I said, for now the Jeep will mainly see the highway, but sooner or later I'm gonna want to start getting a little rough with her.
post #17 of 28 Old 02-19-2019, 04:54 PM

Garage

I would just go for it. A regear will probably be your next move. I'm running 37s with 4.10 gears, manual, 3.8L and it's not bad. I would imagine that you'll have a bit of a rough time without the 4.10 gears, but just go for it and don't get mad if you need to regear to be happy.
post #18 of 28 Old 02-19-2019, 05:47 PM
V8 dreams

I think Iím about to put $600 ball joints in a 30 thatís served me well... for 70k miles out of 125k of itís poor life, itís been on 37s and beadlocks.

Do i wish i had all these funds back to sink into a 60? Yep.
Did i have all these funds at once? Nope.

2010 Silver JKU
post #19 of 28 Old 02-23-2019, 10:23 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

Welcome , congrats on the new to you 2010 JK and do yourself a massive favor & use the search delimiter available on Googled crawler engine by searching just this site's content ( search for --->" D30 site: jkowners.com " without quotes) and read.
Other than the middle bits ( pinion gear and Ring gear ) & maybe the carrier breakover , the 30 and 44 Dana's are same strength. The D30 HP that is in your Sport is absolutely suited for your use case scenario & as long as you don't bounce it up & off of ledges , go airborne or slide sideways at over 5mph into curbs , it will absolutely serve you fine.

It gets questionable to most to spend large bill $ on it when usually guys that wheel very hard are naturally going to want 37s or larger so sure , you'd want beefier housings with more torque capable innards to sustain the energy. However, I continue to run very light 37s and cheap but stout alloy wheels and honestly wheel the piss out of a maxed out D30.
I don't recommend spending what I have on yours but since I tow , crawl not over 2-3mph and have beefed it up pretty well, it continues to surprise me .

I have video to back my claim up . I actually spent a wheeling season trying to f it up but was unsuccessful.

If your just wheeling lite and daily driving 37s on a 2 door around town , as long as you look at the total weight you are putting in the form of your proposed tire/wheel combo and do not put steel streetlocks that weigh 32lbs apiece with a 92lb Nitto or Pitbull 37" tire ( IOWs keep it around 100lbs total weight Max) and have it gussetted around the Cs , you'll be fine.

5.13 is a nice gearing for pushing larger wheels. You'll always want the next size of gearing so go ahead and get 5.13 . 3.73 is max breakover size of D30 carrier. If you have stock 3.73s you will be ok. Read all the info on this crazy , highly subjective topic . I'm about to get flamed to Hell because I've told you this naughty little morsel of knowledge....

Agreed! Well said my man, good post.
post #20 of 28 Old 02-24-2019, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
I think Iím about to put $600 ball joints in a 30 thatís served me well... for 70k miles out of 125k of itís poor life, itís been on 37s and beadlocks.

Do i wish i had all these funds back to sink into a 60? Yep.
Did i have all these funds at once? Nope.

well said.

for every 1 D60 upgrade you see done on a jk/jku , there's probably 9 other owners who wish they could drop the coin on them too, but can't for whatever reason...

post #21 of 28 Old 02-24-2019, 08:48 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I ran a stock d30 with Slabs and 37s for about two years with no issues. Wheeled it a few timeas too. I only did C-gusset. It had 3.21s which sucked but i didn't want to spend any money on it.

I was finally able to upgrade to 60's. I'd say be real about your long term plans and use. If you're not going to wheel it much or the Jeep is a passing fad I wouldn't put much money into it as you won't get the money back or get much out of the investment.

If you know you're going to keep it and wheel, I'd save up and get a decent 44 or 60.

My 2dr on stock d30 with 37s:
Attached Images

libordemise likes this.
post #22 of 28 Old 02-24-2019, 09:00 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinuck View Post
I ran a stock d30 with Slabs and 37s for about two years with no issues. Wheeled it a few timeas too. I only did C-gusset. It had 3.21s which sucked but i didn't want to spend any money on it.

I was finally able to upgrade to 60's. I'd say be real about your long term plans and use. If you're not going to wheel it much or the Jeep is a passing fad I wouldn't put much money into it as you won't get the money back or get much out of the investment.

If you know you're going to keep it and wheel, I'd save up and get a decent 44 or 60.

My 2dr on stock d30 with 37s:
Awesome!! So just how bad are we talking about with 3.21s and 37s?? How wide are those suckers?
post #23 of 28 Old 02-24-2019, 11:24 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by libordemise View Post
Awesome!! So just how bad are we talking about with 3.21s and 37s?? How wide are those suckers?
It was pretty slow and had to down shift at the slightest slope. Where i live it's pretty flat though. And my daily commute at the time was about 10 miles each way. I really didnt mind it. The tires are 13.5 wide i believe.
post #24 of 28 Old 04-09-2019, 08:11 PM

What about trimming? I thought I read somewhere you have to trim the rear of the rocker so the pinch weld doesn’t run if your not stretched. I want to go 37”s on mine. It has 35”s now and I think a 3 1/3” or 4 1/2” lift but I’m not sure. I got it how it sits.
post #25 of 28 Old 04-10-2019, 05:37 AM
JKO Addict!

depending on the year you are going to trim for 37's. You really need to install and flex it out so you have bumps set and needed trimming done. One thing people ignore when upgrading axles is width. You should really get a wider housing than stock. Many people make the mistake of buying a PR44 front housing and get it in a factory width. Dynatrac will build you any width you want and it just have to add wider inner shafts. A 68"-69" wide axle is nice for 37's so you can run a 4.5" back spaced wheel. For a 40x13.5" I recommend a 72". The wider axle with a more centered wheel will give you full steering with a better scrub radius. A wider axle will also give you more room for brackets on custom set ups and may allow you to outboard shocks without cutting into the tub. Only real draw back is that you will be wide on the trails if you wheel in tight spots like trails with lots of trees.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode