Limit Straps - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-02-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Limit Straps

I'm installing King 2.5 smoothies on my rig. Should I install limit straps? We offroad 4-5 times a year and usually just do dirt/rock trails, rock gardens, rock ledges, etc. We rarely go fast offroad. I will open it up a little on the sand when we go to Attica Indiana (Badlands Offroad Park) but I can't see it getting any "air" ever. So about the only time I would ever have the shock fully extend would be when rock crawling which would be slow speeds. Are the shocks hurt at all fully extended at slow speeds? Or no speed at all? Please explain. Thanks

Quick edit - one ton axles and 40" Toyos

18 JKU Granite Crystal- 4"lift, 40s, UD60s
07 Red Rock Crystal JKU - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-02-2019, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

It's funny you ask this because , for me it's coincidental in that
I actually read this last week & had it in my browser history , heh . It did a satisfactory job of explaining the limit strap &
if it would benefit my setup . Maybe it'll do the same for you :

Limit Straps Why Your 4x4 Suspension Will Benefit: Off-Road.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-03-2019, 05:05 AM
Rock God

Plenty of people (probably 99% of JK's don't have limit straps) get tires in the air at the trail with no limit straps and have no problems. This is more or less evidence that you probably won't have problems rock crawling without limit straps. If I put in high-value shocks, I'd probably put in limit straps anyways just to protect the investment. If I were running generic lift kit $50 shocks I probably wouldn't bother for low-speed extension.

If you're "opening up a little" on the sand means on whoops etc., then you can have violent extension events even if you're not really getting air in the traditional sense of jumping. Even though a tire is touching the ground or perhaps an inch or two off the ground, it might as well be getting air from a force standpoint, there's no weight on the spring and the shock is extended. Anything like that I'd for sure put on limit straps or it's a recipe for disaster on the shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-03-2019, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

^this .

@christensent has it pretty-much spot-on in that comment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-03-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I was thinking also. I've ran without straps for the last 8 years with TF and Bilstein shocks. No big deal. But, with what I have invested now, I think I will add the straps. I usually don't do the whoops, but you never know. Now that I have good shocks maybe I'll like them better (whoops). I'm still running extended factory style bumps, so I will still have to be a little careful. I'll add them. Thanks again.

post #6 of 7 Old 02-05-2019, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

What brand straps are you guys using? Most brands claim to figure in 1" of stretch. There is one company (ORW) that claims 1/4" stretch. This is hard to believe when most all others claim 1", but they are claiming that it's a quad strap so less stretch. Also, I've seen some adjustable clevises out there. Are these worth it or not?

post #7 of 7 Old 02-05-2019, 06:46 AM
JKO Addict!

The adjustable clevis makes it nice to adjust instead of having to change out the mounts and is easy to weld to the side of the frame.As far as brand it is up to you and your budget. I would not put too much thought into brands of limit straps on a JK. I get mine from trail ready since I can pick them up at my local summit racing store.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode