Beefing up the Fat Cow's legs, but questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-23-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Beefing up the Fat Cow's legs, but questions

I know the 1 ton swap gig has probably been beaten to death by now, but I'm trying something a lil different from what I can tell..

2011 JKU Rubicon going to 2005 SD60 and 14 bolt swap.

Ive done 1 ton swaps before in CJ/YJ set ups but this will be my first for coil spring systems. I am currently running the RC long arm y links. I actually like them, the shocks and springs are from other systems.

I had planned on just getting the Artec trusses to make it easy and since the arms are designed to use the stock control arm mounts on the axle, in my head it would've worked. However, talking with Tom at Artec, he said they wont work. My next idea is to remove the upper arms (and shave the attachment points) and using artec's Front 3-Link Frame Mount Bracket and just build a 3rd link. Will this work as well as I am thinking it will in my head?

For the rear, I figure just using the y link system will be fine since I can weld the brackets directly to the axle where they need to be and not on the cast so the truss wont be an issue.

Probably a simple fix for most but this is new territory for me and with my DD.

The axle build itself seems to be easy enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-24-2019, 06:49 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Why wont it work? The arms are designed to work with stock brackets right? The artec kit basically puts the brackets in as close to stock location as they can.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-24-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

He said they were too far apart. Not sure why they wouldn't work if they are designed to run the stock set up, but Tom did say that I should be able to use a 3rd link and remove the upper arms of the y link and call it good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-25-2019, 07:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Yes, you can use your current arms like you said and make a third link. I am not familiar with the Artec mounts but several companies make inside the frame brackets and link towers.
When you say Y link on the rear are you taking about a radius link?

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #5 of 6 Old 02-05-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Correct, they are radius links.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-07-2019, 02:52 PM

I have the same axles under my JKU and i can see what he means. The upper link mount sitting on top of the truss is tall and would be pretty far apart from the lower link to achieve what you're after. I would sell the radius links instead of trying to shave them to make them work. My .02 buy solid 7075 aluminum links from Wide Open Design. Great turn around and a wide range of OD, thread directions, and thread sizes so you can run whatever joints you like. Order LH&RH and you can adjust while its on the jeep to fine tune it. I did it for my build and don't regret it all. I run 3 link F/R and 7075 2.5 OD links all around and 1.75 OD my for my high steer. It was a lil more work measuring and making sure all my brackets were above the tubes/frame but I feel I got a better result in the end than slapping a kit in. In my eyes it just made more sense this way since I was starting from scratch. Again my .02 all comes down to budget and what you wanna do.

2010 Stone White JKUR
05+ Dana 60/ 01 14 bolt
5.38s/ Arbs
3 link/ coilovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode