Quality Steering Box? - Page 2 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #26 of 30 Old 01-30-2019, 08:12 AM
14ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcspaz View Post
@toadontheroad , in my experience, wandering either with or without under steer/over steer is typically an alignment issue. Mostly in the toe.

Do you have adjustable control arms?
Yes, front lower. Although it is possible, its doubtful. Had a very reputable SoCal off-road place do the alignment and validate everything after the installs.

2008 Rescue Green UJK Rubicon 6 spd with a bunch of super cheap mods!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 30 Old 01-30-2019, 09:26 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

just adding to @rockystock details on his discovering Teflon within fluid for steering is due to the internal lining used on the
oem ps hose from the pump to the pressure port of the steering gearbox which can deteriorate from extended & high heat over time. Can sometimes result in it contaminating the system & contribute to failures.
Only an issue on '12s & up , iirc

True for '12+. Mine is '08 and there is either at least one Teflon part inside the box itself, or PSC uses Teflon in their pumps (they say they do not). My Teflon bits were more like small chunks, too thick to have come from a hose liner.
post #28 of 30 Old 01-30-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadontheroad View Post
Yes, front lower. Although it is possible, its doubtful. Had a very reputable SoCal off-road place do the alignment and validate everything after the installs.
Many people set the toe out 1.5-2. I get a much better ride and stability with it in 1-2.

If it's not toe, I would be willing to guess the control arms are set to the wrong length, causing the axis of the ball joints to be off. That screws your caster, and scrub radius. If they are not set to the proper length, ensuring the wheel track is straight, the thrust angle will be off. That will also cause the issue, too.

You should adjust both upper and lower control arms to correct the center placement of the wheel in the opening, but also to ensure the caster is correct. If they lengthened the bottom and didn't do anything to correct the top, that's a problem.

Of course, this is assuming all of the parts you replaced are in good condition. Drag link and tie rod ends are notorious for causing death wobble and lots of other steering problems.

This doesn't apply to your issue, but for guys running Dana 60's, they get bad death wobble if the preload on the kingpins are to light. That info may help others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

L/¯¯\\_ |"/¯¯¯(ºlllllllº)

_(¯))==))..(¯))==))

Last edited by marcspaz; 01-30-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29 of 30 Old 01-30-2019, 08:21 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
True for '12+. Mine is '08 and there is either at least one Teflon part inside the box itself, or PSC uses Teflon in their pumps (they say they do not). My Teflon bits were more like small chunks, too thick to have come from a hose liner.

There are a ton of Teflon seals inside the box
post #30 of 30 Old 01-30-2019, 10:19 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTheRipper View Post
There are a ton of Teflon seals inside the box

Thanks for the confirmation. Couldn't really tell for sure even with all the rebuild threads out there, and I hadn't taken mine apart.

FWIW, here's what I found:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/modif...ks-filter.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode