Crown BBK issues - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-06-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Crown BBK issues

Iíve had my Jeep torn apart for several weeks now and finally got it all buttoned up today. I installed a 3Ē Synergy lift, Falcon shocks and the Crown BBK with the Mopar booster and master cylinder.

I have two issues though.

1) The brakes are hard as a rock, like really have to stand on them to get it to stop.

2) The clutch feel is terrible. It works, but really only disengages at the very end of the stroke.

The brake bleeding went fine. I bench bled the master. Old school bled the brakes. Iím getting good clear fluid at all corners. Brake pedal feels fine when not running.

On the clutch, I bled the crap out of it from underneath and was getting nowhere. I read online somewhere to pop the cap to the reservoir and pump the pedal a few times. This helped dramatically, but the pedal is still nowhere where it should be. Should I go back underneath now and bleed again from below (which is a PITA) by the way.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-07-2019, 07:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Hey Dan,

1) If the pedal is hard as a rock and you really have to stand on the medal to stop, it sounds like you are not getting vacuum assist.

2) I found it helpful to remove the slave and bleed it by hand. I'm using a small GM reservoir so I can only bleed it a little before refilling the res.

You could try making a tool like this guy did:

And then there's this guy...

post #3 of 7 Old 01-07-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
Hey Dan,

1) If the pedal is hard as a rock and you really have to stand on the medal to stop, it sounds like you are not getting vacuum assist.

2) I found it helpful to remove the slave and bleed it by hand. I'm using a small GM reservoir so I can only bleed it a little before refilling the res.

You could try making a tool like this guy did:

https://youtu.be/f_R2A5t4eeU

And then there's this guy...

https://youtu.be/0zr00ySYG60

Thanks! I got to thinking about it last night. Iím about 99% positive I got the booster hooked back up, but I need to make sure it didnít get pulled off the engine side. Although it ran fine, not like it had a vacuum leak.

Iíll slide back up under there and bleed the slave again. I ended up cutting half the handle off a small crescent wrench. That seemed to do the trick. Also unhooking the transfer case linkage and moving it out of the way helped considerably.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-13-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Crown BBK issues

I havenít messed with the clutch yet, but Iím still having brake issues.

I pulled the hose to the booster and confirmed I have vacuum. I also pumped the brakes with the engine off and then started the Jeep while holding pressure on the brake pedal. The pedal drops a half inch or so after starting, so it appears to be getting some vacuum assist at least.

Any other thoughts? Can the length of the pushrod in the booster be adjusted?

post #5 of 7 Old 01-13-2019, 08:09 PM
Wheeler

Because of the tight quarters, I initially installed the master onto the booster and did not get the pushrod centered in the
booster. I had a rock hard pedal and no brakes. I had issues bench bleeding the master and ended up bleeding the master
by cracking open the short lines from the master to ABS at the ABS. I also used pressure bleeder to flush the system by
bleeding about a pint from each wheel.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-14-2019, 01:17 PM
Wheeler

Make sure you don't have the front and rear brake shoes on each wheel reversed, assuming
You have brake shoes and not disks. Had it happen with a pickup I once had.
Each wheel using shoes has a long and a short shoe, getting them wrong makes a huge difference in stopping power.

Last edited by Rick Rand; 01-14-2019 at 01:21 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-15-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The JK is discs all the way around.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode