Anybody mounted Viair 450H under hood? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ExWrench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-04-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Anybody mounted Viair 450H under hood?

450H is 1.5" longer than other models that fit Synergy PPM-4034 mount. If I extend the bracket will it fit in the same spot under the hood, or are there better mounting options? Open to buying a different bracket if need be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-08-2019, 10:03 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSHHD1 View Post
450H is 1.5" longer than other models that fit Synergy PPM-4034 mount. If I extend the bracket will it fit in the same spot under the hood, or are there better mounting options? Open to buying a different bracket if need be.
It fits - you just have to flip the stamped steel feet around to reach inward toward the holes in the bracket.

Keep in mind, that's a lot of weight cantilevered off the 2 bolts that hold your brake master cylinder in place (always made me nervous).

However, I ran that for a few years without failure. Here are some pics of the 450C and 400C mounted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
<snip>

Recently pulled out my OBA setup to move some crap around to make room for an sPOD in the future.

And swapped out the Viair 450C for a 400C.

Smaller, lighter, and faster. It's not continuous duty like the 450, but the 400 should air up comfortably before shutting down.

When I first installed the Viair setup, I moved the plug on the front of this bracket down around the corner and away from the heat of the compressor.

Just pulled the steel bracket, drilled two holes, shot a little paint, and reinstalled.

SHOP TIP: cheap, disposable soft jaws are easy to fake out of aluminum angle.

Takes all the guilt out of thrashing 'em, because new ones are like a buck and 5 minutes away..

OBA setup back in.

It'll be a close race, but I think the sPOD will fit in there without re-making the copper coil. Everything else is out of the way.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 6 Old 01-09-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, your setup looks clean. I thought about switching the mounts too. The Viair Q&A says not to do that, but I don't see why it would matter. I have the S-pod setup already, and the 450H unit is a little longer. I'll check it out and see how it clears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-09-2019, 10:27 PM
Random Dude

To clarify: the 450C wasn't going to be in the way of the sPOD. I swapped to the 400C to make airing up tires faster. The 450 is slower and heavier than the 400C, but the continuous duty rating is nice.

I hit the thermal protection shutdown on the 400C while airing up on a hot day with a heat-soaked engine compartment (fresh off a long 4-lo section). That added ~15 minutes to airing up while waiting for the compressor to cool off .

I fixed that problem with a trick little fan setup:

. . . which has been awesome and I'm done fookin' around with my OBA setup

. . . for now
RSHHD1 likes this.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #5 of 6 Old 01-10-2019, 03:22 PM
Wheeler

I'm not sure about the VIAR compressors but, I ran my ARB twin under my hood for awhile and it would always shut off because of getting too hot after about 3 tires (40"). Sometimes I would get all four, but then it would definitely shut off and I couldn't help my buddies air up. I moved it to the back of the Jeep (inside) and it does great now. Last time out we aired up 3 jeeps in a row with it. I made my own bracket and mounted it above the driver's side wheel well.

18 JKU Granite Crystal- 4"lift, 40s, UD60s
07 Red Rock Crystal JKU - Sold
post #6 of 6 Old 01-15-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Yea Redrock, I came with the same spot. I've done a mockup with a couple revisions that will bolt into the fender well and use the 2 forward hard top mounting bolts. Ready to cut \ weld \ drill \ powdercoat, I think it will work out well. If I can figure it out I'll post pics when it's done...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode