Ball joint dilemma - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rich6700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-29-2018, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Ball joint dilemma

Hi, trying to replace my upper ball joint and been unsuccessful in getting one that fits. All the new BJ are loose in the axle housing.

Tried omix and teraflex knurled... the omix and old ball joint are side by side in this pic. There seems to be no oem taper on the old BJ. The teraflex still popped out as it seems not enough knurling seats before it tapers off like OEM.

Had a shop install bj about 3 years ago (now closed... thought they were synergy BJ) anyone else had this issue and how did they solve it? If I only could find out the old BJ to be able to replace🏻
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-29-2018, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Here is the photo-
Attached Images

post #3 of 13 Old 12-29-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirn View Post
Here is the photo-
I'd put calipers on them and the hole and see what the difference is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-29-2018, 04:06 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Will need to use knurled joints again since the old ones were knurled BJs. Surprising the knurled TF ball joints arenít a press fit, but have never dealt with them so not sure how they compare in diameter. Might be best to try Synergy BJs since they are known to be a very tight fit and you think they may be the old ones.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-29-2018, 04:41 PM
Granite Guru

Once you use knurled ball joints you'll have to stick with using them. Knurled ball joints are slightly bigger than the smooth ones.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
dahreno likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-30-2018, 02:39 AM
DJ1
Rock God

They might be MOOG ball joints...

---> https://www.moog-suspension-parts.co...angler_jk_2012
post #7 of 13 Old 12-30-2018, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

I did try the teraflex knurled BJ... it pressed in but didn’t hold. The knurling on the teraflex only went to where the taper starts on the BJ- hence only pressing in about half way because it tapers.

The old BJ doesn’t even have that OEM taper it seems straight in the picture.

I hope the shop wouldn’t have bore it out the taper to fit that straight looking BJ?
post #8 of 13 Old 12-30-2018, 10:15 AM
Granite Guru

I'm having a hard time trying to understand your problem. Dana 30 and dana 44 ball joints have been the same size for over 30 years. The knurled joints where used when the smooth sided joints wore out the outer "c" because they are slightly larger. Take a pic of the joint in the outer. "C" or a short video.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 13 Old 12-30-2018, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

I’ll take a pic of the c after the holiday... what I can tell is the old ball joint is straight and has no taper. I can press down the teraflex knurled(not pictured) but the taper on it like the oem doesn’t press into anything. Seems the hole in the c is longer to accept this straight no taper ball joint?
post #10 of 13 Old 12-31-2018, 01:58 PM
Rock God

The taper on the pictured right side Ball joint is there to help guide it into the hole straight and center it as it is pressed in.....The taper you need to concern about is the taper on the shaft, that it is correct for your application.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-24-2019, 09:19 AM
Rock God

Bump.

Any updates?

Iím in the beginning stages of preparing to replace my BJs, and Iím curious of what your outcome was.

Iím no expert but it seems too me that the last shop must have done something thatís causing the correct BJs to not fit correctly.

In my case, I plan to keep my Jeep forever, Iíd probably replace/upgrade my knuckles, that way Iíd have a sure fit moving forward.
BJs are a fairly frequent wear replace item, and Iíd hate to not have a good fit every time.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-24-2019, 09:32 PM
Granite Guru

Does sound like they reamed out the hole. May have to replace the knuckle. Is it just one side or both sides
post #13 of 13 Old 02-25-2019, 07:37 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic920 View Post
Bump.

Any updates?

Iím in the beginning stages of preparing to replace my BJs, and Iím curious of what your outcome was.

Iím no expert but it seems too me that the last shop must have done something thatís causing the correct BJs to not fit correctly.

In my case, I plan to keep my Jeep forever, Iíd probably replace/upgrade my knuckles, that way Iíd have a sure fit moving forward.
BJs are a fairly frequent wear replace item, and Iíd hate to not have a good fit every time.
if you are going to keep your Jeep a long time, go Rare Parts ball joints. expensive upfront but they are running strong. the Dynatracs don't really last any longer than the others yet the rebuilt kit is stupid expensive.

2017 JKUR Recon 6spd Firecracker Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode