X-Factor vs CT3 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By thedirtman
  • 1 Post By thedirtman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-21-2018, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

X-Factor vs CT3

Looking for a little insight into either the RK 3.5 X-Factor or the Teraflex CT3.

Has anyone ridden in both? Overall thoughts or impressions? Any glaring differences? I know shocks will play a part, but I will probably either run JRI or Falcons.

Will either kit be more prone to rust or wear in the north east salt used in the winter?

Are speed bumps annoying on the road, I heard they "thump"?

It looks like either kit can be had at close to the same price. Any input is appreciated, I'm sure both kits are stellar, but I don't have either available to me to see and experience in person. Thanks!

2015 JKU Rubicon, 4.5" Synergy stage 4, JRi Shocks, FOX ATS Stabilizer, 4.88 gears, 37x12.50 Trail grapplers, 17" Raceline Beadlocks.(regretfully sold)

2012 JK 2 Door, Sport, 3.73's, offensively stock, mouse in Hardtop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-22-2018, 07:27 AM
JKO Addict!

I have been a more than a few rock krawler set ups and the ride is rough. The teraflex speed bumps are a gimmick that basically places the foam bump stop in an aluminum can that makes it look like an air bump stop. They charge you almost as much as an air bump as well. I would pass on either kit and company.

Metal cloak is going to be one of the best riding suspensions out there as well as Synergy. They both offer several kits in the height you are looking at. Metal Cloak has 3 choices of shocks and a no shock option that lets you buy what you want. The game changer from Metal Cloak comes in a bit cheaper then the teraflex or RK.

https://metalcloak.com/jk-wrangler/j...k-edition.html

The Synergy is a bit more in terms of cost.
https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-j...tegory_id=4971

Out of the two you listed and the two I listed the Metal Cloak is the most complete set up and due to their bushing design offers the best ride with the synergy bushing being just a bit harder which should affect the ride a bit but may not be noticeable.

Remember tire selection will have a big impact on your ride quality so choose a proper load rated tire for you jeep and adjust the air pressure for a good ride and contact patch.
j3ff3ry_j33p and UFDUB like this.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-22-2018, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

My worry with the metal cloak was the installation with the jam nuts. I was worried I would bind them up or not be able to get them tight enough.

I have the synergy stage 4 long arm on my old jku, I loved it but, Its just so much more expensive.

2015 JKU Rubicon, 4.5" Synergy stage 4, JRi Shocks, FOX ATS Stabilizer, 4.88 gears, 37x12.50 Trail grapplers, 17" Raceline Beadlocks.(regretfully sold)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-22-2018, 02:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Their no different the the jam nuts on the RK except the Metal cloak are bigger and stronger. You can always use a little blue loc-tite on the jam nuts to keep them in place. To keep any joint centered while snugging the jam nut is to stick a punch or chisel between the joint body and bracket to hold it in a centered position.
ChuckTheRipper likes this.

Some build info here:

post #5 of 12 Old 12-22-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Their no different the the jam nuts on the RK except the Metal cloak are bigger and stronger. You can always use a little blue loc-tite on the jam nuts to keep them in place. To keep any joint centered while snugging the jam nut is to stick a punch or chisel between the joint body and bracket to hold it in a centered position.

ok, I guess I didn't understand they were the same. Im absolutely open to the metal cloak kits, guess I better start pricing them now too.

post #6 of 12 Old 12-22-2018, 02:58 PM
JKO Addict!

I have installed just about every lift kit brand out there and metal cloak is at the top of the heap.

And for what's it worth I don't run their kit on my rig. Mine is custom designed and built by me.

Some build info here:

post #7 of 12 Old 12-22-2018, 03:03 PM
Rock God

Second the vote for MetalCloak. I have ran those before and loved the ride. That's what also will be going on my Wife's Recon when I quit screwing around on the beast.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #8 of 12 Old 12-22-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ok, sounds like a plan.

Will the metalcloak coating on the arms be more prone to wintertime rust?

Is there anything else you all would recommend to add to the kit to really compliment it? Other than maybe a steering stabilizer, I figure I would add that and the grade 8 kit.

post #9 of 12 Old 12-22-2018, 08:34 PM
JKO Addict!

It is a zinc coating the is better for corrosion than the powder coating most companies use. Its really a complete kit, only other thing might be high steer but I would wait and see how the lift settles out on your ride and if its even with getting.

Some build info here:

Last edited by thedirtman; 12-22-2018 at 08:37 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-22-2018, 10:44 PM
Rock God

I too would recommend the metal cloak lift compared to the others, or really, any bolt on short arm suspension. I would also go with their 6 pack shocks if the budget allowed, which judging by your shock choices mentioned, does.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-23-2018, 09:29 AM
JKO Addict!

I would not get the 6 pack shocks unless you are building your rig around them and how they work. Great travel but if you don't adjust brackets or run too big a tire you wont take advantage of them.

Some build info here:

post #12 of 12 Old 12-23-2018, 10:26 AM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
It is a zinc coating the is better for corrosion than the powder coating most companies use. Its really a complete kit, only other thing might be high steer but I would wait and see how the lift settles out on your ride and if its even with getting.
I have Synergy components and I notice that my tierod is getting a tiny amount of rust (or something) build up under the paint / powdercoat. Not even sure how that works since it's chromoly. Also, I have been using red n' tacky on the grease fittings and my rear bushings squeak worse that a bed with two fat people having sex. So maybe a +1 for zinc coating vs. paint / powder.

EDIT:
Noted tie rod is chromoly so who knows whats going on there.
For OP, I think if you check your jam nuts and keep them thread locked and tight, you should be fine. I know there's a lot of FUD on other forums about RK jam nuts. Not sure if that is junk hardware or people not tightening fasteners from time to time.

Last edited by snout; 12-23-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode