40's with Coil overs lowest lift? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By thedirtman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-03-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

40's with Coil overs lowest lift?

So I installed King coil overs and their bump stops, I want to run the lowest lift possible while still being able to maintain a decent ride. I have about 3 inches before my bumps touch and I want to get that down in the 1 inch range, so I will only have 3 inches of up-travel. I have no desire for high speed whoops or wide open throttle. Mainly slow crawling. Lowering charge in the bumps for a softer ride? Has anyone done this and ran into issues? Am I wasting my time? Any input is appreciated

2007 Wrangler
Dynatrac Prorocks
HydroAssist
King CO's and bumps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-03-2018, 09:01 PM
JKO Addict!

If you are just going to crawl why waste the money on air bumps? Bling? You can take all the chage off the air bumps is you want, then again you could just let the axle hit the frame.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-04-2018, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
If you are just going to crawl why waste the money on air bumps? Bling? You can take all the chage off the air bumps is you want, then again you could just let the axle hit the frame.
It was a black Friday deal. I saved about 600 bucks per axle. Slow speed we still run into big dips or a ledge figure it would be a softer bang. And I love that they are adjustable. Do you think having the 5 inch-is of up travel is a good start or too much? I'm new to coilovers and not sure which direction to head. Thanks for the reply

2007 Wrangler
Dynatrac Prorocks
HydroAssist
King CO's and bumps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-04-2018, 07:27 AM
JKO Addict!

50% of the shock travel for up is a good start. If you are running 40's you are not going to get much up travel before the tires hit unless you really cut the hell out of the body. Thpically guys run around 4" of up travel with 40's on the coil over kits out there.

I looked for your build thread but is wa not current. Hard to help people do extreme stuff without really knowing what they are working with.

Some build info here:

post #5 of 12 Old 12-04-2018, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
50% of the shock travel for up is a good start. If you are running 40's you are not going to get much up travel before the tires hit unless you really cut the hell out of the body. Thpically guys run around 4" of up travel with 40's on the coil over kits out there.

I looked for your build thread but is wa not current. Hard to help people do extreme stuff without really knowing what they are working with.
I am not on here much, but I will get that updated. Body was cut to clear 40s on a 3 inch coil spring lift. I'm going to leave about 3-4 inches uptravel and see if my bumpstops are cycling. Thanks for your help man. I was shooting in the dark.

2007 Wrangler
Dynatrac Prorocks
HydroAssist
King CO's and bumps
post #6 of 12 Old 12-04-2018, 10:07 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowermax View Post
So I installed King coil overs and their bump stops, I want to run the lowest lift possible while still being able to maintain a decent ride. I have about 3 inches before my bumps touch and I want to get that down in the 1 inch range, so I will only have 3 inches of up-travel. I have no desire for high speed whoops or wide open throttle. Mainly slow crawling. Lowering charge in the bumps for a softer ride? Has anyone done this and ran into issues? Am I wasting my time? Any input is appreciated
Listening to the bumpstops hit the axle pads constantly would be my only issue with what your trying to accomplish. It gets REALLY REALLY old fast!!

Are you running 2" or 3" travel bump stops? If 3", I'd look for a set of 2" to give you more uptravel before they make initial contact with the axle pads.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-04-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
Quote:
Listening to the bumpstops hit the axle pads constantly would be my only issue with what your trying to accomplish. It gets REALLY REALLY old fast!!

Are you running 2" or 3" travel bump stops? If 3", I'd look for a set of 2" to give you more uptravel before they make initial contact with the axle pads.
They are 2 inch bumps. I have heard the same thing from others and a possible solution is to secure a piece of "delrin" (the same material that is on the face of the bump stop) on the strike pad. Does that sound like it would keep the noise down?

2007 Wrangler
Dynatrac Prorocks
HydroAssist
King CO's and bumps
post #8 of 12 Old 12-04-2018, 02:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
If you are just going to crawl why waste the money on air bumps? Bling?
Screw it. Don't listen to Tom. Bling it up all you want with your wasted money. I did. It felt good.

If you hear a "tip tippity tap tap" and the whine of a supercharger attempting to sneak up from behind - it could be me with my traditional spring and shock lift.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-04-2018, 03:05 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
They are 2 inch bumps. I have heard the same thing from others and a possible solution is to secure a piece of "delrin" (the same material that is on the face of the bump stop) on the strike pad. Does that sound like it would keep the noise down?
It's worth a shot and shouldn't cost much to try it.

Another thing you can do if that's not enough, is take apart the air bumps and add a 1" delrin spacer to the inside, limiting them to 1" of travel. You will have to remove some oil to make room for the spacer. You can just add aditional air to the bump stop to compensate for less travel. I have done this with 3" bumps to limit them to 2" travel for a project I was working on. It worked fine and they are still in use today.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-04-2018, 05:53 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Anyone know if this works? The chuckle they make isn't a deal breaker but it would be nice to quiet them down.

2014 JKUR, 2.5 JKS lift, Poison Spyder flares and covers
post #11 of 12 Old 12-04-2018, 05:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Why not just use some rubber belt material, Not sure whey you would want to use something as hard as delren to deaden the sound.
chitown35 likes this.

Some build info here:

post #12 of 12 Old 12-21-2018, 02:34 PM
Wheeler

The only problem I really see with keeping the bumps so close is being able to tune the coilovers. I have found with my jeep, the bumps do all the work and dont let the coilovers do enough. I guess if you vavled the bumps soft enough it won't be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode