Hood vents from Rodlouvers. What do you think? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 10Likes
  • 1 Post By SLOWPOKE693
  • 1 Post By rockystock
  • 1 Post By gt1guy
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 1 Post By rockystock
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 2 Post By rockystock
  • 2 Post By Banshee
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-01-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
rockystock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 367
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews
Hood vents from Rodlouvers. What do you think?

Trying to vent my hood with as many functioning louvers as possible, putting them directly over the unsupported sections. Hadn't seen a vent install like this. What do you think? Line up the fronts/rears with the hood, or line up the sides to the hood sides?
rockystock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 12-01-2018, 02:09 PM
Wheeler
 
SLOWPOKE693's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: SOMEWHERE IN TEXAS
Posts: 50
Feedback: 0 reviews

Second picture looks better in my opinion. Also, your going to need to turn all the vents around so that the openings face the windshield. You want hot air to be sucked out by the vacuum created from air flow over the hood/vents. Engine compartment gets plenty of airflow through the grill and radiator. Your trying to make the hot air escape out the vents.
rockystock likes this.
SLOWPOKE693 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 12-01-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
rockystock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 367
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
Second picture looks better in my opinion. Also, your going to need to turn all the vents around so that the openings face the windshield. You want hot air to be sucked out by the vacuum created from air flow over the hood/vents. Engine compartment gets plenty of airflow through the grill and radiator. Your trying to make the hot air escape out the vents.
Several companies have the louvers closest to the cowl face forward. Something about vortex created by the windshield causes the air to flow forward in that area. May have to do the yarn test to see how significant it is.
Banshee likes this.
rockystock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 12-01-2018, 03:11 PM
JKO Addict!
 
gt1guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Iberia, La.
Posts: 3,745
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
Several companies have the louvers closest to the cowl face forward. Something about vortex created by the windshield causes the air to flow forward in that area. May have to do the yarn test to see how significant it is.
Second pic looks better.

It's not that the air in front of the windshield flows forward. It's that the windshield is just a big dam. The air packs up against it and creates a high pressure area. It's why cowl induction hood work.

Your yarn test will tell you how far forward that high pressure area reaches.

Actually, post up a vid of the test. I'd be really interested to see the results.
rockystock likes this.

Kevin
gt1guy is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 12-01-2018, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
rockystock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 367
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

It'll be a while. Trying to get out of the garage.
rockystock is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 12-02-2018, 09:24 AM
JKO Addict!
 
White13JKUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Danville, CA
Posts: 2,987
Feedback: 0 reviews

These guys sell louvers too and have some Jeep pics on their site.

RunCool Hood Louvers - Hood Vents For Your Vehicle - Cool Your Engine
White13JKUR is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 12-02-2018, 04:54 PM
Wheeler
 
SLOWPOKE693's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: SOMEWHERE IN TEXAS
Posts: 50
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
These guys sell louvers too and have some Jeep pics on their site.

RunCool Hood Louvers - Hood Vents For Your Vehicle - Cool Your Engine
I used a set from that company on the hood of an XJ I built a loooong time ago. They were well made and worked great.
SLOWPOKE693 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 12-02-2018, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
 
j3ff3ry_j33p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 5,706
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews




I got some of the last of the production of Synergy Mfg's 14" hood louvers as ,like, the
2nd or 3rd modification that I thought it important to have.
I think only the aux tranny cooler was before it, iirc.

This isn't a good image but only one I could get quick for this
post ...but it shows how I have them positioned right over each
exhaust manifold. Man, on a good Tennessee or Alabama or Georgia
summer trail ride I can cook stuff just sitting it atop one of these aluminium
vents. You can literally see the heat being evacuated at stops....



rockystock likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
j3ff3ry_j33p is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 12-02-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
rockystock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 367
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post



I got some of the last of the production of Synergy Mfg's 14" hood louvers as ,like, the
2nd or 3rd modification that I thought it important to have.
I think only the aux tranny cooler was before it, iirc.

This isn't a good image but only one I could get quick for this
post ...but it shows how I have them positioned right over each
exhaust manifold. Man, on a good Tennessee or Alabama or Georgia
summer trail ride I can cook stuff just sitting it atop one of these aluminium
vents. You can literally see the heat being evacuated at stops....



Very nice.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
rockystock is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 12-03-2018, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator
 
j3ff3ry_j33p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 5,706
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

I meant to cast a vote for configuration/ layout in your 2nd picture. The aesthetic flows better with them in that layout versus the conflicting direction of them in image 1.

Just my .02¢.

(The first cut's the hardest, heh...)



rockystock likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
j3ff3ry_j33p is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 12-03-2018, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
rockystock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 367
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
I meant to cast a vote for configuration/ layout in your 2nd picture. The aesthetic flows better with them in that layout versus the conflicting direction of them in image 1.

Just my .02¢.

(The first cut's the hardest, heh...)



Tell me about it. This took me most of last Sunday

Banshee and j3ff3ry_j33p like this.
rockystock is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 12-03-2018, 05:17 PM
Rock God
 
Banshee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Blue Mountains, Down Under
Age: 52
Posts: 1,163
Feedback: 0 reviews

I've just, (almost), finished installing a PS hood louver on mine on Sunday. The AEV gen 1 snorkel went in ~8 years ago. This is how it looks now.


https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ksphtp3ajGTia7Fd6

Needs a wash...

I think I'm going with option 2 for the OP as well.
j3ff3ry_j33p and rockystock like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone7
When you die, you see your life going by in a flash.

Steve Jobs didn't - Apple doesn't support Flash.
This message has been reviewed & approved by the NSA, Google and Microsoft.

Last edited by Banshee; 12-03-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Banshee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome